VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have included a picture so you can see the line that is on my video to matter the tape, the whole time. It is more prominent in person than it shows in the picture that why I had to take this picture with black screen, it never moves and stands out throughout. It appears it is hardware related but I am not sure. Has anyone seen this before or know anything about what is going on. I am transferring VHS to my computer through a ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB VisionTek HDTV to my computer. Thanks for any ideas.Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	41307
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here is a second picture and you can see a light color stripe on the left of Phil JacksonClick image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	41308

the two pictures were two different tapes, recorded on 2 different machines
    Quote Quote  
  3. I believe that's a reflection of the horizontal sync pulse. Try a different cable.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    changed out all cables and even tried a different vcr and it is still there. Is it possible it is the ATI TV Wonder HD 600? I even changed the USB port I was plugged into, moved the HD 600 to the front USB port and its still there. I made sure no cables are crossing any of the S-Video cables. It seems like maybe its the ATI TV Wonder HD 600?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I believe that's a reflection of the horizontal sync pulse. Try a different cable.
    Yeah, the entire image is duplicated as a ghost in the 2nd screenshot. His right shoulder is on the left of the hsync, and his head is faintly visible in the background on the right.

The position in the 2nd screenshot appears to be different.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so I need an inline TBC?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    I believe that's a reflection of the horizontal sync pulse. Try a different cable.
    Yeah, the entire image is duplicated as a ghost in the 2nd screenshot. His right shoulder is on the left of the hsync, and his head is faintly visible in the background on the right.

The position in the 2nd screenshot appears to be different.
    I pulled a few more tapes from even more machines and some have NO issues whatsoever. How do I fix this? An ES10? An AVT-8710? A TBC-1000? A JVC VCR?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by house141 View Post
    I pulled a few more tapes from even more machines and some have NO issues whatsoever.
    That means the problem is on the tapes.

Originally Posted by house141 View Post
    How do I fix this? An ES10? An AVT-8710? A TBC-1000? A JVC VCR?
    If the problem is on the tapes none of those will fix it. Though, a line-TBC (like the ES10) will reduce the horizontal time base errors (a separate issue) so it's worth having.

You will have to fix it in software -- adding in a shifted and darkened version of the picture. But you'll have to reconstruct the entire horizontal image, including the sync pulse. And since it varies from recording to recording you'll have to tune it for each recording. Here's sample fix. a portion of the original frame on the top left, the same portion fixed on the top right. The lower pair is the same two images with a large gain to make the dark reflected image more obvious.

[Attachment 41309 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I pulled a few more tapes from even more machines and some have NO issues whatsoever.
    That means the problem is on the tapes.

How do I fix this? An ES10? An AVT-8710? A TBC-1000? A JVC VCR?
    If the problem is on the tapes none of those will fix it. Though, a line-TBC (like the ES10) will reduce the horizontal time base errors (a separate issue) so it's worth having.

You will have to fix it in software -- adding in a shifted and darkened version of the picture. But you'll have to reconstruct the entire horizontal image, including the sync pulse. And since it varies from recording to recording you'll have to tune it for each recording. Here's sample fix. a portion of the original frame on the top left, the same portion fixed on the top right. The lower pair is the same two images with a large gain to make the dark reflected image more obvious.

[Attachment 41309 - Click to enlarge]

How labor intensive is this? and what software would do this? This is the first time I've heard of this and its a bit overwhelming to think I may have a lot more labor intensive projects ahead.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by house141 View Post
    How labor intensive is this? and what software would do this? This is the first time I've heard of this and its a bit overwhelming to think I may have a lot more labor intensive projects ahead.
    First, you'll probably have to install and learn how to use AviSynth and a few third party filters. Then...

Here's what a scanline of analog NTSC video looks like:

[Attachment 41314 - Click to enlarge]

The portion of the signal that's captured only includes the "active picture" section. The vertical bar in your video is a reflection of the sync pulse -- so we need to reconstruct the horizontal blanking interval before we can subtract it away. Since part of the sample frame is black (aside from the reflection of the sync pulse) we can use that as a source to reconstruct the horizontal blanking interval. A better source would be an all black frame from the same recording, or at least one where the reflected horizontal blanking interval is all black.

Code:
    ImageSource("Untitled2.jpg", start=0, end=23, fps=23.976).ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true).BilinearResize(720,480).Crop(8,0,-8,-0)
    src = last

# first build the horizontal blanking interval
    # and scale it for the brightness of the reflected signal
    hzb = Crop(0,4,704,30).BilinearResize(176,2)
    hzb = Merge(hzb, hzb.FlipVertical())
    hzb = hzb.BilinearResize(704,30)
    hzb = StackVertical(hzb,hzb) #60
    hzb = StackVertical(hzb,hzb) #120
    hzb = StackVertical(hzb,hzb) #240
    hzb = StackVertical(hzb,hzb) #480
    hzb = hzb.Crop(180,0,154,-0).ColorYUV(cont_y=-512).ColorYUV(off_y=-208)

# build the reflected signal we are going to subtract
    # including the horizontal blanking interval
    refl = StackHorizontal(src.Tweak(cont=0.023, sat=0.023, coring=false).ColorYUV(off_y=4), hzb)
    refl = StackHorizontal(refl, refl)
    refl = Crop(refl, 526,0,704,480).BilinearResize(180,480).BilinearResize(704,480)

# remove the reflected signal from the video
    Overlay(src, refl, mode="add").ColorYUV(off_y=-6)
    The source, scaled and cropped to a 704x480 rec.601 frame:

[Attachment 41317 - Click to enlarge]

Here's my reconstruction of the reflected image including the horizontal blanking interval (brightness and contrast adjusted to make the image more visible):

[Attachment 41315 - Click to enlarge]

And the result after "subtracting" it:

[Attachment 41316 - Click to enlarge]

It's not quite perfect, it needs more work. The reflection might be the last frame, not the current frame, or it may be a line (of one field) low.
    Quote Quote  
  11. check your power outlet (connect your pc and vcr on the same pw outlet)
    recorded from tv or commercial tapes ? (macrovision residuals...)
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote