VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,
    I'm looking for any recommendations on a utility that will show me similar
    disk activity info in XP as the Resource Monitor does in Windows 7 - 10.

Either to be able to select a specific task or system level and see a list of disk activity, including the file name accessed
    and some specifics such as i/o count or %

Thanks for any info
    Quote Quote  
  2. I use Process Explorer v.15.22 on my Windows XP virtual machines. Essential.
    (edit: the disk activity display is not as nice as Resource Monitor, I admit)

The current version, 16.xx, the only one available direct from Microsoft, is Windows 7 or later.

https://www.google.com/search?q=process+explorer+15.22
    Good luck downloading it. Some awful download sites. I went to CNET and they are more annoying than ever. Gave up.

EDIT another idea - Performance Monitor (run menu, perfmon) built into XP and all Windows versions. You have to set up things to monitor, called "counters," yourself - click the + on the toolbar and explore.
    Last edited by raffriff42; 18th Apr 2017 at 15:52.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just downloaded and ran 16.12 on an XP VM.
    Quote Quote  
  4. jagabo - cool, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I actually found the earlier version you mentioned. I'm not sure how to use it to give me the info I'm looking for.
    How do I use Procexp to see what files a task has open?

I like the Resource Meter, because I can see, at a glance what drives and files are accessed and I can narrow the display
    by process in the top pane if I need to. Unfortunately, this is Windows 7 and newer only.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	resmon_disk.png
Views:	144
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	41298  

Quote Quote  
  6. To see what files a task has open: on the Toolbar, hit "show lower pane." There are two views: one shows "handles" (open files and registry keys) and the other shows DLLs.

To view disk activity, right-click a process and select Properties: it has got a tab with numeric counters and a primitive I/O graph
    [Attachment 41299 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 41300 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by raffriff42; 18th Apr 2017 at 16:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've never found anything that beats proc explorer.
    It's solved some odd issues multiple times, as it shows what's running inside other files report by the task manager.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks raffriff42 for putting up the pictures. Looks like it will work, I'm going to spend a little time on it, see what other goodies may be hidden
    away in there.
    Quote Quote