VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have both .mkv and .srt files.
    The subtitles are fine, but come with about 2,5 seconds delay.

I'd like to shift time subtitles, i.e. display them 2,5 seconds earlier.

Am not an expert. Any portable windows tool that can do this 'batch time shift'

Also, I assume will the subtitle be 'burned in' then?

Thanks!

=
    later: in VLC Player I can adjust the shift and it is fine there (Tools-Track Synchronization, -2,5s) but then how to make this permanently?
    The next time I need to do the shift action again.
    =
    Last edited by vhwul62; 18th Apr 2017 at 09:32.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitle Edit can do that:

- run program
    - menu: Synchronization -> Adjust all times...
    - enter time
    - select "All lines"
    - hit "Show earlier" / "Show later" (your call)
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  3. I tried that and started out with an error...

Windows 10 x64, VLC 2.2.4 Weatherfox

File details
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=24
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 51 min 16 s
    Bit rate : 12.5 Mb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 016 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 1.890
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.256
    Stream size : 4.39 GiB (96%)
    Writing library : x264 core 142

Have no idea what to do.

Should be installing additional stuff .. but what?

=
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SnagIt-18042017 160847.png
Views:	659
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	41296  

Quote Quote  
  4. Open the .srt, not the .mkv. (If you open the .mkv Subtitle Edit needs LAVFilters or VLC to show the video. Well, like the error message says. Just gotta read...)

If you have subtitles embed in an .mkv instead of in separate files you can use MKVToolNix to delay the subtitles. Drag&drop the .mkv file into MKVToolNix GUI, select the subtitle track and then set the "delay" field to e.g. "2500" (ms).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks again.

Figured it out...
    Installed VLC player was 32b, so in Subtitle Edit, settings, I could not select the VLC player (option was greyed out)

I installed VLC player x64 version.

Now I got it working: this time, in settings, VLC could be selected and video was played back.
    Selected Synchronization-> Adjust all times-> 2,6 sec [Show earlier] button.
    Checked - it was fine, file save.
    No extra codec needed, just the x64 version of VLC.

Things are perfect now!

Many thanks again!

=

Name:	SnagIt-19042017 072316.png
Views:	796
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	41302  

Last edited by vhwul62; 19th Apr 2017 at 02:00.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Getting back on this. Maybe someone could help.
    This is the situation.

So I have a .mkv and a .srt (Dutch)
    the video has a 'burned in/embedded' subtitle translating spoken German into Dutch
    on the remote control, when selecting subtitles, 2/two subtitles shown.
    I can either select the 'burned in/embedded' subtitle (spoken German->Dutch subtitle) or the Dutch subtitle, but obviously the German audio isn't translated.

when trying to embed the srt subtitle to into the mkv probably it will remove the existing embedded subtitle?

=
    later:
    I tried MKVToolNixGUI but don't know how to add (embed) the dutch .srt there.
    AFAIK I can only select video file, but do not see how to additionally select the srt.
    cud you give me some hints?

=
    Last edited by vhwul62; 21st Apr 2017 at 02:47.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    when trying to embed the srt subtitle to into the mkv probably it will remove the existing embedded subtitle?
    It won't unless you tell it to.

Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    I tried MKVToolNixGUI but don't know how to add (embed) the dutch .srt there.
    AFAIK I can only select video file, but do not see how to additionally select the srt.
    cud you give me some hints?
    You can add as many input files as you want. For example first drag&drop the .mkv file onto the MKVToolNix GUI window. Then drag&drop the .srt file. Then the srt will appear as an additional subtitle track in the track list.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Used MKVToolNIX

Regretfully the result will still be the same, either

a. the audio Dutch-embedded Dutch subtitles are displayed only - the embedded audio German-Dutch subtitle is not displayed then
    or
    b. the audio Dutch-embedded Dutch subtitle are not displayed - the German audio-embedded Dutch subtitle is displayed

I can still select from 2 subtitles within VLC - so when playing I should constantly switch between subtitles.

=

Name:	SnagIt-21042017 090210.png
Views:	345
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	41323  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you want both subtitles to appear at the same time? Not a sure what you are getting at?

You can add as many SRT files as you like to the MKV and they are not "burnt in" burnt in means they are part of the video image and cannot be switched on or off. Embedded means they are in the MKV container along with the video and audio tracks. You can then select which audio track you want or subtitles in your media player, in this case VLC. Adding extra subtitles has no impact on existing subs. If you wish to remove an existing sub you need to untick the box and remux in MKVMergeGui
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yes, I want them at the same time.
    It means that the Dutch srt should be embedded, but the German->Dutch embedded subtitles should be kept.
    (It is a Dutch movie, dutch spoken, but quite a few parts is German, those parts have been translated and embedded. However, I do want to add/embed the Dutch subtitles, but keep the German->Dutch embedded subs).
    So, I do -not- want to remove the existing embedded stuff.

=
    Quote Quote  
  11. You can join two subtitle tracks using Subtitle Edit.
    1. Start Subtitle Edit and open the .mkv file with it (drag&drop .mkv file onto SubtitleEdit window). Click "file"->"Save as..." to extract the subtitle track from the .mkv to a separate file.
    2. Click "Tools"->"Join subtitles..." and drag&drop both .srt files onto the windows. ( the "German-Dutch" file you extracted in step 1 as well as the "English-Dutch" file) Then "Join".
    3. Optional: Click "Tools"->"Fix common errors". Fixes are your choice but some players don't like overlapping subtitles so I'd fix at least that.
    4. Optional: Click "Tools"->"Sort by"->"Start time" (this step can be skipped if you later mux the file using mkvtoolnix but it is more "proper"))
    5. "File"->"Save as" to save the combined subtitles to a new file.
    6. Open the .mkv and the new combined subtitle file in mkvtoolnix (*) and mux to new mkv file. Or save the new .srt file with the same file name as the .mkv file (except file extension) and put in the same folder as the .mkv file. Then players like VLC and MPC-HC should load it automatically.

(*) You can disable the unwanted subtitle tracks, assign "Dutch" language or similar if you want there.
    Last edited by sneaker; 21st Apr 2017 at 04:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sneaker - will this method insert the German - Dutch subs at the correct timecode of the new sub file? I'm assuming the Dutch srt dialog starts close to the beginning of the film. I'm interested in doing this for a project of my own.... The way your post reads to me is the Dutch subs will start at the beginning and then at the end the German subs will start but of course the film has finished by then?

I'm sure it means insert at the appropriate time code?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  13. The times will stay the same as in both original files. Subtitle Edit has a separate function for appending like you described ("Tools"->"Append subtitle").
    Quote Quote  
  14. @sneaker - I think it has been successful !!
    step 1: extract subtitle, okay, it may be useful to make corrections when the OCR failed
    step 2: okay
    step 3: I skipped that
    step 4: I did that one - one way or the other the first attempts went wrong, but the last attempt, with this sorting, things went fine. I am not sure if had anything to do with this sorting though.
    step 4: saved as new name, renamed the .mkv and gave it the same name.

As it looks now, it is working perfectly!

Many, many thanks!!

It is super, you have been of great help, I truly appreciate this!

Need to work out some other videos the same way and hope it will work out the same way.
    Saved your 'mini-manual' together with screenshots for future 'reference'.

Again, MANY thanks indeed!

=
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    sneaker - will this method insert the German - Dutch subs at the correct timecode of the new sub file? I'm assuming the Dutch srt dialog starts close to the beginning of the film. I'm interested in doing this for a project of my own.... The way your post reads to me is the Dutch subs will start at the beginning and then at the end the German subs will start but of course the film has finished by then?

I'm sure it means insert at the appropriate time code?
    @netmask56

FWIW,
    please allow me to add below screenshot.

sp: add the two subtitles, join, then Tools->Sort by->Start time (I am not sure this action is necessary, maybe not, but I did it)
    then save as a new .srt

good luck!

=

Name:	SnagIt-21042017 104715 - Copy.png
Views:	728
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	41338  

Quote Quote