VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Newbie here with a question. A popular video series comes on a dual-layer DVD with fairly secure protection, but there is both a freeware and a paid program that can sort-out the disc and rip the whole disc to an ISO image on my hard drive. At that point the ISO is playable just fine using VLC, for example. But when I simply burn the image to a dual-layer blank, the first episode plays well on a standard BD/DVD player, but the second episode (which I assume is on the second layer) plays in fits and starts, virtually unwatchable. I am able to convert the ISO to MP4, and from there burn both episodes on a single-layer disc, but video quality isn't quite as good, and subtitles are lost.

What I'd like to do is split the ISO into two episodes and burn each onto a separate, single-layer DVD, in hopes that the original quality and access to subtitles, alternative languages, etc. will be available. Most ISO-splitting discussions I find on this forum and elsewhere assume that the user wants to convert to MP4, .avi or other format, I can't find a discussion on how to simply break the original ISO into two smaller ISOs. Can someone lend a hand here?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would load the ISO in a software like DVD Shrink or DVD Rebuilder, blank half of the episodes, export it and create a new ISO from that. Then repeat the process but with the other half of the episodes blanked. Maybe you also need to blank some extras or remove superfluous audio tracks, compress menu etc. to make them small enough because half of episodes + menus/extras plus half of episodes + menus/extras could be bigger than 2x DVD5.

Or find a software that does rip to mkv/mp4 with subtitles.

Which software are you using to decrypt? I vaguely remember AnyDVD dis-recommending ISO rip mode.
    Last edited by sneaker; 14th Apr 2017 at 14:57.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Before going further, I would ask what software you are using to burn the ISO to a DL blank? If it is NOT ImgBurn, that may be your only issue. Download ImgBurn v2.5.2.0 from the VideoHelp tools library, and install it. Load a blank DL disc, and click the big "Burn ISO>Disc" button in the EZ Mode Picker. ImgBurn will automatically attempt to repair the layer break to optimize playback of the disc (something most other burning software fails at).

If using ImgBurn still doesn't give you a good backup, proceed with what Sneaker suggested: the easiest way to split a DVD9 into two DVD5 discs would be to load the original into something like DVD Shrink, DVD Rebuilder, or CloneDVD2. I use the last one, but I assume all such utilities have similar features. When you open the disc or ISO in one of these, it should show you a list of the video titles with a little checkbox next to each. There should also be a video preview of each, so you can tell which episode is which. If you deselect (uncheck) the box next to one of the eps, the required disc size should drop to DVD5. You can then save the new ISO or burn it to a DVD5 blank, then do the same with the other episode.

The resulting two backup discs will have the same menu as the original DVD9, but when you click on the "missing" episode the disc will just go black for a second before looping back to the menu. This is how I have backed up my own TV series sets from DVD9 to DVD5.

If you want to get a bit more geeky, the other tip Sneaker mentioned will sometimes let you back up the most important parts of a DVD9 to a single DVD5. Occasionally, we get lucky, and the DVD9 is not actually filled completely. The second layer may only have been needed to store additional audio tracks, silly "extra" features, promos for other dvds, etc. Seriously, how often are you gonna watch actor interviews etc? Do you really need to include them in a backup? If you uncheck all the special bonus features. extra audio languages, extra subtitles, etc, you may just fit both episodes + your preferred audio/subtitles + main menu onto a single DVD5, with no compression loss. Most backup utilities have a bar graph that will show the disc size shrinking with each item you uncheck. I always try this workflow first, before opting for a DVD9 blank or disc splitting. If squeezing onto a DVD5 requires a small amount of compression, from say 100% to 90%, I usually do not hesitate.
    Last edited by orsetto; 14th Apr 2017 at 16:10.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Guys,

Thanks much for the quick reply. I will give one of those programs a try for sure. I have been using ImgBurn to burn the dual-layer ISO in DVD9 format to a blank dual-layer disc, and have even consulted the ImgBurn Website. On their recommendation I invested in better blank discs, but still cannot get a stable second layer burn using either my Vista or Win10 computers.

By the way, ImgBurn evidently found two options for splitting the layers, giving me the responsibility of selecting "good" or "excellent" break points. I tried both. One copied just the first episode on the disc, the other did both but with the dicey playback of the second one.

I also tried the burning utility that came with both ripping programs I tried, plus the native DVD burner resident on the computer. I now wonder if run-of-the-mill DVD burners are really all that good for dual-layer discs, and thus got the idea to try splitting the ISO and making single-layer copies. Thanks again to you both; I may be back with more questions when I take this up again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Electrojim View Post
    By the way, ImgBurn evidently found two options for splitting the layers, giving me the responsibility of selecting "good" or "excellent" break points. I tried both. One copied just the first episode on the disc, the other did both but with the dicey playback of the second one.
    I may be crazy but....if you are seeing layer break options/choices....you are not dealing with ISO images....you are dealing with burning VIDEO_TS folders.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Chances are more likely, heck54, that I am hopelessly bumbling than you are crazy. I would be happy to share screenshots of my endeavors, preferably as a PM, but could do so in the general Forum as well, as long as divulging the source of the content I am attempting to copy won't get anyone in trouble.
    Quote Quote  
  7. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you're having playback problems, most likely you are using crappy media. I'm just saying...
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks, Keyser, that's what the people at ImgBurn suggested also. I'd been using HP-branded discs and, on their recommendation, got Verbatim ones. No help I'm afraid.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tested on more than one DVD player? Could simply be an issue with that player.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote