VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I recently got a new LG OLED TV and as everyone had commented in ratings of the TV, 3D looks amazing on it! What I was wanting to do was digitize all my 3D movies for easy playback via the TV's USB input.

I have done a lot of searching online and from what I could find, the only way to truly get the same/full Blu-Ray visual is to copy the full disc as an ISO file. However, the LG TV can't play ISO files. From what I've read the 2nd best option is MKV Files with full bitrate (no or almost no compression) but things get a little sketchy confusing after that... I'm using DVDFab Software to rip my Blu-Ray Disc to save on the computer.

Here are my questions:
    1) By default, the "Main Movie" is selected. Does this "main movie" contain data that tells DVDFab where each of the actual two movie files (left/right) are for conversion? Or is it possible that DVDFab is only using one file/stream and therefore not using the true 3D files. I'm assuming this can't be the case because I've been trial and error testing some stuff and it appears to be good 3d, but I want to make sure.
    2) 3D Format - Should I be using SBS (especially if that's what the native disc is) or Top/Bottom or does it matter? I read some places where people said T/B is better for passive 3D but others said that on a 4K Upscaling TV it doesn't matter.
    3) On that same note, should I be doing SBS or T/B with Full Size rather than Half Size? I mean, my question is this - are the movie files on the disc actually in full size and when you play the disc the Blu-Ray player "halves" them to give the 3D effect but on a 4K TV you don't have to do that and can keep the full size? Or are the actual video files on the disc already "halved" so it's pointless to try to change them to "full" in conversion?

Thanks for any expert advice y'all can give me. We just recently updated our home theater with the LG Oled and a new 5.2.4 Surround System and I've been buying a number of great 3D movies, but really, it's the digital age - the fact that we're still using Disc for movies and not just digital files is beyond me. I want the convenience of just switching my TV to my USB and all my movies are there for me to chose from!
    Quote Quote  
  2. 3D Blu-rays are neither SBS nor T&B. They use MVC. There each side has the full 1920x1080 pixels which may be output via HDMI as full 2x1920x1080 / 3840x1080 pixels. How that is displayed depends on the display. If the display is a passive 4K 3D display it may use all the resolution.

So, which format should you encode to? Depends mainly on what your playback devices support. For "half" on a passive display half T&B may be preferred so that at least the horizontal resolution stays untouched. For an active or 4K passive 3D display half SBS and half T&B should be equal unless you have black borders to cut away and use those for increased T&B resolution. Full SBS and full T&B should be equal on all displays but not all playback devices can play that. Compression wise neither SBS nor T&B are optimal, frame sequential is much better because it can use similarities between both views similarly to how MVC can do it. (I don't know if DVDFab supports frame sequential. BD3D2MK3D does.)
    Last edited by sneaker; 13th Apr 2017 at 15:03.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I fully agree with sneaker, except for this:
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    [...] unless you have black borders to cut away and use those for increased T&B resolution.
    You should NEVER cut the black borders of a 3D movie. The stereoscopic 3D formats are not well established, but a standard is clearly emerging, and the standard imposes full 16:9. If you cut the black borders, you don't respect the standard, and the results are unpredictable. Your movie may play correctly on some TVs, but others will play the movie stretched to full screen, and some will even completely reject it. It's why BD3D2MK3D doesn't allow you to cut the black borders.

For the resolution, indeed, Full-SBS or Full-T&B are good choices for 4K 3D TVs, but don't forget that they will not play on standard HD 3D TVs. Same thing for Frame Sequential. Furthermore, Frame Sequential is less often supported by the hardware players, even on 4K TVs, but if your TV supports it and you don't care about the compatibility with other TVs, then it's probably the best 3D format, since it can be compressed somewhat better than Full-SBS/T&B. However, only well designed and mature encoders like x264 can compress frame sequential correctly. It's certainly NOT the case of the weak encoders of most commercial programs like DVDFab, or with recent encoders like x265.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote