VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello

Is there a way to convert PAL to NTSC with Virtualdub but keep the image interlace ?

I tried to change ftp from 25 to 23,976 and change the image from 720x576 to 720x480 including filter unviewfield and viewfield but the result is always the same, a progressive video. How can I keep it interlace ?

Thanks

Kalemvar
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by kalemvar1 View Post
    Hello

Is there a way to convert PAL to NTSC with Virtualdub but keep the image interlace ?

I tried to change ftp from 25 to 23,976 and change the image from 720x576 to 720x480 including filter unviewfield and viewfield but the result is always the same, a progressive video. How can I keep it interlace ?

Thanks

Kalemvar

It's not ideal doing it in vdub , there are some issues (actually the basic idea of converting it is not ideal either) , but to do it in vdub only :

Deinterlace filter double rate (interlaced PAL becomes 50p)
    Resize filter to 720x480
    Interpolate filter to 59.94006 fps (supposed to be 60000/1001)
    Interlace filter
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thank Poisondeatray

I tried everything steps from your replay but I still get a progressive respond.

Can you give a more accurate guide if possible 😊

Thanks

Kalemvar
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by kalemvar1 View Post
    Thank Poisondeatray

I tried everything steps from your replay but I still get a progressive respond.

Can you give a more accurate guide if possible ��

Thanks

Kalemvar

When you say "progressive" did you mean the actual content or encoding? HOw are you determining that it's "progressive" ?

You have to encode as interlaced too. If you encode progressive, it will be interlaced content, encoded as progressive. What format are you exporting or how are you encoding it ?

What is your desired final format goal ? Why are you doing this ? Or how are you going to be "watching" it ? For example if you were making a NTSC DVD, you would set interlaced in the MPEG2 encoder

Are you sure the "PAL" source has interlaced content ? 50 fields per second; ie. 50 different moments in time repesented per second ?

Here is a PAL DV example in vdub. For your case, you have to set the field order correct (TFF VS. BFF, and you have interpolate options ie. blending vs. duplicates when resampling the 50FPS to 59.94FPS)

Click image for larger version

Name:	vdub_pal_interl_to_ntsc_interl.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	41217
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks poisondeathray

That's exactly what I was looking for. Every steps is working fine.

May I ask you something, is there a reason why if I only change the size I receive a ''progressive'' respond:

720 x 480 = Interlaced
    1280 x 720 = Progressive ???
    1920x x 1080 = Interlaced

not sure why ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote