VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was sent a file from a friend to see if I could get it recovered. He sent me 2 files:
    Original.DAT - 600MB
    Original.DMV - 129KB

Using MediaInfo on the DAT file, all I can see is that it is in QuickTime format and FileExtension_Invalid: mov qt

I've tried using VCDGear v3.55 to convert dat -> mpeg but I get this message:
    [ VCDGEAR PROCESSING LOG ]

## VCDGear active : 4/10/2017 @ 1:25:21 PM ##
    Setting multi-file output convention to '_%02d'

Original.DAT
    WARNING: Specified DAT file has an invalid XA header signature.

[Original.DAT]
    Could not locate MPEG stream.
    I also tried using isobuster with no luck. Haven't used it before but the conversion I tried gave me a file with no data (size = 0).
    VirtualDub says Cannot Parse Original.DAT

Does anyone have other programs or ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just tried Video Repair Software by Grau GmbH with a working sample and was only able to get a video with a gray screen.

I did try uploading the video to an online converter at www.mp4repair.org and I was actually able to see some thumbnail images of the video. Great! But..... they want to charge $59 to convert the video. Not happening. It does give me some hope that somebody out there has a solution for me since an online repair tool could produce better results than I can myself in less than a minute.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried renaming the file suffix to MPG and see whether Virtualdub or VLC can open it ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Have you tried renaming the file suffix to MPG and see whether Virtualdub or VLC can open it ?
    I had tried earlier in VLC with no luck but just tried in VirtualDub and get the "Cannot Parse" error message as I did when I left it as a DAT suffix.
    Quote Quote