VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I'm confused as to why folks put an avchd file to a dvd? The disc still has to be played on a BD player or worded a different way; can NOT be played on a dvd player, even though the medium is a dvd. Is an avchd put to a dvd 9 better than if the file was a standard mpeg-2 dvd 9?

If mpeg 2 quality is the same as avchd, and it's a cost factor of blank BD discs, then why not just burn as mpeg 2?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    If mpeg 2 quality is the same as avchd
    It's not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    can NOT be played on a dvd player, even though the medium is a dvd.
    You can't burn FLAC files to DVD "medium" and have it play on a DVD player either. Just burning stuff to a DVD or CD doesn't make it a "DVD" or "CD".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In this case "the medium is NOT the message!" To be a "DVD" in the normal meaning the video - audio and extras and subss etc HAVE to be "authored" ie a process that makes VOB, IFO and BUP files so that the DVD player "knows" the disc is a DVD video.

When AVCHD is burnt to a DVD blank it is done so as Data not authored as a DVD video. The specs of a DVD video does not allow the higher resolutions of Blu ray.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=When AVCHD is burnt to a DVD blank it is done so as Data not authored as a DVD video. The specs of a DVD video does not allow the higher resolutions of Blu ray.[/QUOTE]

Ya but you're still restricted by the 8.5 gig limit of a dvd 9. Blank BD's arn't much more than blank dual layer dvd's. Seeing how you're limited on only playing this disc on a BD player, why not just go all the way and burn a BD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    deleted
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD media is much cheaper than BD media, for one.
    And more computers has DVD burner drives than BD drives.
    But DVD I think is limited bandwidth to about 18 Mbps.

H264 is also better more efficient compression in bandwidth/quality ratio - so those 18 Mbps can produce better quality than MPEG-2.

So very practical if not needing full feature film length on things.

AVCHD also has formats for random access removable media like memory drives, which I find practical.
    Always potential problems with DVD RW media as I discovered.

PowerDirector and Nero Video allow to burn AVCHD to removable thumb drives and SD cards.
    Premiere Elements does not, you need DVD media.
    Last edited by larioso; 11th Apr 2017 at 04:36.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From Sourceforge I downloaded the h.264 codec for Windows 64 since Vegas Pro 12 doesn't have that option for rendering. Do I then covert that rendered file to .mp4 or .mov? When I try to burn a dvd, it wants me to put in a blank BD.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    I downloaded the h.264 codec for Windows 64 since Vegas Pro 12 doesn't have that option for rendering.
    Sure it does. They call it AVC video.

Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    Do I then covert that rendered file to .mp4 or .mov? When I try to burn a dvd, it wants me to put in a blank BD.
    You can't burn a dvd or bd without having media to burn to. AFAIK you can't make an iso file directly out of Vegas. You still haven't made clear whether you want your final output to be BR set-top compatible or simply a data file.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I apologize; I meant in DVD-Architect I get a message to insert a BD disc.

My ultimate goal is (for the dvd-9) to be played on a set-top BD player. Although user "netmask56" a few posts above says avchd would read as a data disc. I've completed my Fan edit of Star Wars The Force Awakens and burnt it to BD, now I want to burn a avchd h.264 dvd-9 (like Harmy did for his Despecialized Star Wars A New Hope) so maybe I can upload that for folks to download. I don't really want to upload 22gb worth.

I'm still fascinated that you can put HD data on a dvd. My lack of creatively, imagination would never have though of that. I'm guessing the concept is sort-of like putting video on a cd?

And the more I read about avchd, should I render my BD with the codec? Every web site and message board says to use "main concept mpeg-2 1920x1080.

Oh, and I rendered this h.264 as an AVI file, because that's what most sites said. I'm confused...why render something, just to have to converted it in another program?
    Last edited by clashradio; 12th Apr 2017 at 20:30.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have been having problems with multiavchd. it makes the folders but after burning, the disc does not play in the blu-ray player. tsmuxer does a better job but that software is hard if you have more than 1 file, multiavchd can handle multiple different files

is there a way to make the avchd or blu-ray folder structure and then add the files and then burn using imgburn and get it to play on blu-ray players

I see the folder structures always look the same initially but I think there are probably some subtle differences that make it play or not play
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ended up just using my Blu-ray disc to make my avchd dvd-9 via BDtoAVCHD program. I couldn't figured out how to render and burn a avchd disc directly from Vegas. And DVDFABPortable wouldn't convert it from bd to dvd, I could only rip the menu, not the full disc.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Even I am holding the same doubt from past few days. Thanks for raising this question, learned many new things from your thread.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Newer versions of DVD-Architect no longer support burning AVCHD to a DVD and playing it back in a BD player.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Newer versions of DVD-Architect no longer support burning AVCHD to a DVD and playing it back in a BD player.
    Ya I think version 5 was the last to support avchd....
    Quote Quote