VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know whether a Time Base Corrector, for use with a VHS recorder, would fix all or some of the playback problems?.

I've quite a large number of tapes, some about 20 plus years old and some from a few years ago, many of them are often prone to erratic jumping which, sometimes (depending on the tape) start off playing fine then start to becoming jittery or jumpy as the tape progresses, or vs versa. I've also noticed on a number of tapes (through capturing via my laptop) the image playing slow as though the tape has been stretched or "warped". There's a name for this issue but can't think off hand what it's called. Apparently heat can cause the tapes to go like this.

My question would be, would a time base corrector fixed these issues?. Ive looked at various videos on youtube showing TBCs in use and they do improve the video stability, but not sure to what extent they can fix the issues I have. It could be that it's the VHS recorder I am using that's the issue here. The VCR is a relatively modern model from the last 10-15 years. I've found that older models seem to be able to track the image better due to them having a manual tracking system. I know that TBCs are expensive. Also, most of the ones on ebay seem to be in the states.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    External TBCs are for signal errors, not image errors.
    For that, you need a better VCR.

However, BOTH are needed for quality captures.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote