VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi ,
    I have lots of video clips and I find I often want to edit them down... just save the best bits .....
    Im wondering is there a simple video editor that would let me cut out the junk and just save the best ?

Ive got V Dub and that does do that .. but you have to start converting your vid to mpeg 1 before it will work in there

Im thinking of some software that will take most vid formats.... mpeg 4 etc and do the job

thanks for any advice
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
    but you have to start converting your vid to mpeg 1 before it will work in there
    No you don't. I think you are looking for something like VFW or something similar.....forget which one.
    Someone will be along shortly to give the correct answer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You could try Virtualdub FilterMod (see the Virtualdub page here at VH and scroll down to "Alternative to Virtualdub") it's a fork/continuation of Vdub that is still being worked on. What types of file are you working with?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ive got a mixture of file types, prob most are mp4 ... last time I used v dub Im sure I had
    to convert every file to mpeg 1 before it worked in there,,,, maybe things have moved on ?

I was wondering could the you tube video editor do the job ? or maybe some other online video editor ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For Windoze, I recommend Aviutl.....

For Linux, I recommend Kdenlive....

Either will handle multiple formats inputs. If you run the latest Linux Mint 18.1, it will even auto-rotate your improperly oriented smart-Phone video and images. Making it all too easy to edit....
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just had a go with the You Tube editor..... seems quite good, managed to delete selected bits of a video ,
    you can use it to join videos together.... put audio tracks on,,, get transitions etc
    Quote Quote  
  7. As I said, you might want to try "Virtualdub FilterMod" as it's a continuation of Vdub that accepts many more video types now than the original Vdub, and is still being worked on.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the link.... looks worthwhile getting hold of it ...

the U Tube free online editing feature looks good too..... though when they say they are processing your video...
    thats a code word for censoring your video !

Just hit on ............. I Spring ..... its a video capture software.... or should that be screen capture ?
    anyway it lets you record any action thats happening on your screen.... maybe a movie... maybe U Tube ... and the end
    result is good..... even better than the Icecream vid capture

Ive got a ton of old videos that Im going thru... getting the best bits onto dvd s and getting those onto the comp
    Im using mainly....Kompact dvd .... and Data Cell dv d

Just put about 24 vid clips onto a dvd and find that the dvd recorder wont finalize the disc....
    looks like a faulty disc

this is happening too often lately .... should I be using better quality dvd discs ? any advice ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I don't know why everyone thinks that computer software should be free. Yes there is some good free software, but when it comes to editing video, the commercial software is more fully featured. For $50, which is not much money, you could get Pinnacle Studio (or whatever it is now called) or Vegas Movie Studio. I recommend these because they give you so many more options and are so much easier to use than VirtualDub (which I use every day, but not for full-blown editing). If you have a lot of tapes, you'll end up with a better result, and you'll get to the finish line so much quicker, that the $50 will mean nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    I don't know why everyone thinks that computer software should be free. Yes there is some good free software, but when it comes to editing video, the commercial software is more fully featured. For $50, which is not much money, you could get Pinnacle Studio (or whatever it is now called) or Vegas Movie Studio. I recommend these because they give you so many more options and are so much easier to use than VirtualDub (which I use every day, but not for full-blown editing). If you have a lot of tapes, you'll end up with a better result, and you'll get to the finish line so much quicker, that the $50 will mean nothing.
    +1
    +1
    +1

(That said, both Davinci Resolve and Lightworks ARE free, but require considerable heft in your system and have big learning curves.)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Careful.

DaVinci Resolve isn't really free. There are a bunch of hidden costs (maybe not in outright dollars, but definitely in hair lost). First, BMD only supports Win10 (sorry XP/7/8 fanbois). Second, it doesn't support some key codecs (q.v. DV-AVI, M2TS). Third, if it doesn't outright crash your system, it will run agonizingly slow, making editing virtually impossible (q.v. h.264 support). Fourth, well, I could go on, but why? Don't be fooled by the $0 price tag. I much rather spend $50 versus enduring the pain involved learning DR and all its gotchas if all I wanted to do was edit my video. However, DR is a fantastic grading program.

As for Lightworks, that is a painful NLE to use without a control surface/keyboard (which I think only work with the pro version).

Full disclosure: I say this as a Premiere Pro user (although I suspect the legions of Vegas Pro users would say the same), not someone who struggles with an Avisynth/vdub workflow (which are useful for dealing with legacy NTSC footage, otherwise sorely out of date with modern workflows/cameras, imho).
    Quote Quote