VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    So, I wish to capture the live stream of Detroit Red Wing games for purely archival purposes. I would prospectively be capturing using one of those Xfinity miniature boxes, pictured here.

My question is, can the HDCP here be beaten by a simple HDMI splitter, such as this one?

Don't really have any way of knowing what HDMI version is on the Xfinity mini box, unless anyone else knows off hand.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CursedLemon View Post
    So, I wish to capture the live stream of Detroit Red Wing games for purely archival purposes. I would prospectively be capturing using one of those Xfinity miniature boxes, pictured here.

My question is, can the HDCP here be beaten by a simple HDMI splitter, such as this one?

Don't really have any way of knowing what HDMI version is on the Xfinity mini box, unless anyone else knows off hand.
    I have used the same splitter to record from a standard Comcast HD cable box. The mini-boxes should also be compatible, unless the splitter has been re-designed and uses different components now. The HD boxes use HDMI 1.3 (and probably HDCP 1.3), which is compatible with that splitter.

Only a cable box capable of UHD output might have HDMI 2.0 + HDCP 2.2, but don't be tempted to buy the ViewHD 4K splitter. It won't work for the purpose of recording TV.

[Edit] HDMI provides uncompressed digital video and bitstreamed audio, not a live broadcast stream. To capture the actual broadcast stream you would need to rent a correctly provisioned M-type CableCARD from Comcast and buy a Silicondust HDHomerun Prime CableCARD tuner, then record with Windows Media Center or NextPVR.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Apr 2017 at 10:25.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I wasn't planning on bothering with any UHD - the mini boxes actually max out at 720p I believe (or at least mine does), which is fine for me as I'll be capturing through an El Gato capture unit that can only handle 60 FPS in 720p mode anyway. It's good enough for what I'm doing anyhow, I just want to archive Red Wing games for future reference (maybe make a DVD of each game).

As long as someone can vouch that it works!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    [Edit] HDMI provides uncompressed digital video and bitstreamed audio, not a live broadcast stream. To capture the actual broadcast stream you would need to rent a correctly provisioned M-type CableCARD from Comcast and buy a Silicondust HDHomerun Prime CableCARD tuner, then record with Windows Media Center or NextPVR.
    Yeah I guess I shouldn't have used that term, I just mean the pixels and soundwaves as we see them on TV.

Although ironically, El Gato records things natively as a transport stream.
    Quote Quote