VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Hi there.

I'm new here so a big HELLO to everyone.

I'm wondering if you could assist me regarding using software to improve the audio track quality of an mp4 video file I have.

Which are the best programs to use with Windows 10?

I'm by no means an expert in this field but I'm quite technically minded and eager to learn so I'd prefer software which is more in depth and takes more learning rather than basic software which may not have as many editing options.

If you would be kind enough to spare a moment of your time to assist I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hello, welcome to the forums.
    Improve it, how? what's wrong with it and what are you hoping to achieve by enhancing it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hi transporterfan.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

It's a video I downloaded from YouTube which does not seem to be available from anywhere else. I downloaded it for my Dad. It's an organ recital from the Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool UK and the sound has a small amount of static and the high notes are a bit shrill too. I was just wondering if it would be possible to reduce these impurities.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It is usually far easier to to give advice if a short clip of the audio is posted, with details of what is perceived to be the problem.
    The cheapest software solutions (free) are the Audacity and Ocenaudio editors.
    Drop the mp4 onto these, alter the audio, save off (as AAC, that is .m4a file) and mux using something like mp4muxer.
    There is a learning curve with either of these. For what you want, the simplest way is to (probably) use Ocenaudio.
    Look for the 31 band graphic equalizer in the Effects tab. Have a tweak with that and mux the new audio file with the original video file.
    Audacity can remove anomalies, but in doing so, it can alter other characteristics of the audio.

Edit:
    Remember this, you don't have to edit the WHOLE audio sequence.
    Selecting regions (click&drag) and manipulating those can be better that equalizing the whole file.
    Take your time. Experiment.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 2nd Apr 2017 at 15:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    +1

Thank you so very much for your help.

I'll play about with the software you have suggested and see what I can do with it. So long as I know which software to use which I do now thanks to you hopefully I can get the sound quality a little bit better. I'm quite a patient person so I'm not too bothered about how long it may take. And as you said... it's a learning curve. It will help me gain some experience in this field.

Thanks again.

Best regards.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Come back if you get stuck. There's always someone around to help.
    Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Cheers transporterfan. I must say... I really do like the Transporter films very much myself. A good watch.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    btw.... is there no way to give a 'like' or 'vote up' someones post on this forum?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I like them a lot. You guessed. Not sure how, like. Lol.
    No way, kidda. Thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The posts generally speak for themselves. So the Admin has avoided voting options.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hi redwudz.

Thanks.

So you mean... because I suggested it. They are adding voting options? WOW.. I'm humbled.

I assume it's not been added yet though as I see no option too.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No. I doubt voting options will be added.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Oh. Sorry I misread your previous post. I misread 'avoided' for 'added'. D'oh!!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    If looking at the light versions of serious NLE then I could suggest Cubase Elements 9 or Sony Vegas Movie studio. The first has much more capable audio processing built in, but no video editing at all. At the end of audio editing you can use the feature: Replace audio in Video file which avoides additional encoding. The latter has less audio processing capabilities, but do have decent video editing tools. When the editing is finished you may just Render the new audio file and then mux, as suggested by transpoterfan, or Render to new video file. Must say that I work with full featured Pro versions with both of them, but I guess that the processing basics are still in place in the light versions too.
    Panasonic NV-HS860, LG LV 880 HiFi 6 Head, Sony SLV-SE 630 HiFi, LG BL-162W, Sony TRV33E miniDV for Capture, Canopus ADVC 55, Panasonic DMR-ES10, Sony Vegas Pro12, WinDV
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hi Maris 55.

This forum seems to be very good with really helpful people.

LOL... so many different programs to play with. Good stuff.

Thanks for your input
    Quote Quote