VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi I've bought recently dvds of cartoon/anime series from the 90s. Like disney's stuff. The thing is that they don't look that great on hdtv even on pc screen. There's like saturation on the picture it is a bit blury.

I'd like to convert them to better quality. Is there program to do this. I don't know much about video processing. I know how to rip a dvd. I know how to use handbrake. But that's about it.

So to precise my question :what program should i use to improve the picture's quality. To make it less blury, more precise, with better color, to make it look better on hdtv...

I know i will probably have to make some test....but i should test with what? Is it possible to upscale it and improve quality ? 480p to higher resolution ?

Thanks for your time and advice

it's a lot of questions, but all for the same purpuse... get that thing better !

http://imgur.com/a/LRkQ9 (for sample)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-04-01-01h09m35s165.png
Views:	367
Size:	594.3 KB
ID:	41107  

Quote Quote  
  2. avisynth/vapoursynth + lot's of reading (there are quite a few infos about avisynth scripts on how to improve anime/cartoons throughout the new)
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. And your sample is a useless picture. Cut 10 seconds from the DVD. Don't reencode it to some thing else. If you don't know how, then open a VOB in DGIndex, use the [ and ] buttons to isolate a small section and then File->Save Project and Demux Video. You can upload the resulting M2V here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok Thank you for your help

Here's a sample of the video one of 22 sec the other of 7 sec
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you.

They need to be IVTC'd back to 23.976fps. I don't know if you're doing that in Handbrake or not. I don't see that they're oversaturated, but they could be denoised and could use some color smoothing. Maybe a line darkener as well, to try and fix the broken lines. This is a job for AviSynth and not Handbrake. Maybe someone with more experience with animations can help.

I do agree that these are some pretty shoddy DVDs by Disney.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The editing of 90's Disney Cartoons was often done after the telecine process however, meaning there may be 24p and 30i mixed together. Things like credits, cuts and effects are possibly in 30i and pretty much impossible to IVTC properly because the frame rates simply do not match. In such case, imo, it's best to simply bob-deinterlace to 60p with QTGMC and leave it like that. That's exactly how the DVD would be displayed on a TV anyways.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, I agree with you. But all I had to go on was the samples. And they can easily be IVTC'd. If there's some 30i content then things change and bobbing with QTGMC might be the best way to go. It's nothing Handbrake can do, though. Not for the best results.

Unless he's making another DVD from them. In that case he'd encode the 30i parts as 30i and encode the 23.976fps progressive sections as 23.976fps with pulldown applied and then join them together during authoring. Since he was using Handbrake, though, I don't guess he wants to make a better DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well thank you for your help

I guess i'm going to do some reading about avisynth and do some test.

I realize by doing some test on my tv that those dvd look much bettter when a take off all sharpness... might be part of the solution.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Some quick cleanup:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("VTS_01_1.demuxed.d2v", CPU2="xxxxxx", Info=3) 
    TFM() 
    TDecimate() 
    dehalo_alpha(rx=2.5, ry=1.0, brightstr=2.0)
    McTemporalDenoise(settings="high")
    There's lots more you could do. The hardest will be getting rid of the dot crawl artifacts.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Nice. Indeed the result is better....

Thank you for your time...the code it very heplful
    Quote Quote