VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, This is my first post.I have been trying to rip some PAL video files into region free. I've used DVD Fab 10 and DVD Shrink with no luck. Output files are still PAL. I have a Sony BDP S380 and I can't hack it to play region free. This DVD was stolen from me and I miss it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by swampwizard 61 View Post
    I have been trying to rip some PAL video files into region free. I've used DVD Fab 10 and DVD Shrink with no luck. Output files are still PAL.
    Making something region-free doesn't automatically also convert it from PAL to NTSC. If you want it to play as a DVD on your NTSC DVD player, you have to both remove the region coding (all decrypters do that) and then convert the DVD to NTSC. If you don't understand the difference between the two, then read What Is DVD. Scroll down to the 'Technical Info' and note the differing resolutions.

Try AvsToDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The region code on a DVD is just one number on the disc. Licensed players check that number to determine if they are allowed to play the DVD. If the region code matches the players region code it plays the disc, other wise it doesn't. The region code has nothing to do with PAL or NTSC encoding. In fact, some regions encompass countries that are PAL and NTSC.

PAL and NTSC are properties of the video data on the discs. PAL is 720x576 at 25 fps, NTSC is 720x480 at 29.97 fps. In the Europe most players can deal with both PAL and NTSC video. Unfortunately, in the USA many players cannot handle PAL.
    Quote Quote