VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to take out HEVC from video files so I can play them on my WDTVLIVE? John
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you have to convert them using another CoDec, like h264 etc..
    use your favorite video conversion software, output to mp4 container using the codec of your choice
    the file will be a little larger for the same resolution and same quality

HEVC aka h265 ? is the latest and greatest ? popular codec offering more compression aka smaller file size
    but takes more processor power to unpack and display

and many hardware boxes, can't process it, but you can watch it on your PC,
    Last edited by theewizard; 31st Mar 2017 at 01:52.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Video conversion software like freemake. If there is a better one can you give some advice on that? Is there a converter that is better?? Quite possibility a free one?John
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes I know, wdtvlive's don't like h.265, and only some of h.264.

well, I suppose you could convert your file to mpeg4/avc (h.264) in a .mp4 container file (assuming the audio is compatible and doesn't need transcoding too, and it is progressive frames not interlaced frames) which is compatible with wdtvlive, by downloading ffmpeg and using a DOS command like
    ffmpeg.exe -i "input_file.mkv" -threads 0 -map_metadata -1 -c:a copy -c:v h264 -preset slow -profile:v high -level 4.1 -crf 20 -coder 0 -movflags +faststart -y "output_file.mp4"
    If you had to convert audio too, maybe something like
    ffmpeg.exe -i "input_file.mkv" -threads 0 -map_metadata -1 -c:a libmp3lame -ab 256k -c:v h264 -preset slow -profile:v high -level 4.1 -crf 20 -coder 0 -movflags +faststart -y "output_file.mp4"
    edit: ffmpeg is "free", although is non-gui command-line based, and is fantastic for the money you pay.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or! Replace your WDTV Live with something a tad newer like the Popcorn A-500 then you can play H265 aka HEVC files - sadly not a free option
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try something like Handbrake or VidCoder.
    Quote Quote