VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've trial numerous combinations of PotPlayer's filter settings, but have yet to find the sweet spot that will enable playback of 4096 x 2160 video. Following hints from other forum posts, I've tried playing my files (all of them less than 4 GB) from various hard drives and SSDs without success, though the same clips play perfectly in VLC, and edit successfully in Premiere Pro CC 2017.

Potplayer starts playing the clips with a black screen, then the clip plays back in stop-motion after hitting stop and play. It drops ~20 frames at a time and repeats one frame every 40 seconds, according to Control+J.

Here is PotPlayer's analysis of one of these clips as it attempted to play through my latest attempt at finding the perfect combination of settings. In this case using my video card's CUDA decoder with DXVA enabled, AVC inspection skipped, DXVA2 Copy-Back disabled. I'm using an Nvidia GTX 720 with 2 G of memory and 512 CUDA cores with an Intel i7 series hyperthreaded quad-core CPU.

Any suggestions? I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!

General
    Complete name: D:\DJI_0018.MP4
    Format: MPEG-4
    Format profile: JVT
    Codec ID: avc1 (avc1/isom)
    File size: 3.81 GiB
    Duration: 9 min 6 s
    Overall bit rate mode: Variable
    Overall bit rate: 59.9 Mb/s
    Comment: 0.9.142
    ©xyz: +35.450187-118.912515+59.600
    ©xsp: +4.00
    ©ysp: +9.20
    ©zsp: +0.00
    ©fpt: -8.50
    ©fyw: +66.00
    ©fr: +0.00
    ©gpt: +0.00
    ©gyw: +66.30
    ©grl: +0.00

Video
    ID: 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info: Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile: High@L5.1
    Format settings, CABAC: Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames: 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=8
    Codec ID: avc1
    Codec ID/Info Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 9 min 6 s
    Bit rate mode: Variable
    Bit rate: 60.0 Mb/s
    Width: 4 096 pixels
    Height: 2 160 pixels
    Display aspect ratio: 1.896
    Frame rate mode: Constant
    Frame rate: 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space: YUV
    Chroma subsampling: 4:2:0
    Bit depth: 8 bits
    Scan type: Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame): 0.283
    Stream size : 3.81 GiB (100%)
    Title: DJI.AVC
    Language: English
    Color range: Limited
    Color primaries: BT.709
    Transfer characteristics: BT.709
    Matrix coefficients: BT.709
    Michael Linder
    Currently facing Media Crimes charges
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try pure software decoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey, sneaker. Thank you for your suggestion, but I'm not sure what that means beyond disabling DXVA and all graphic cards acceleration functions. After a Google search, I tried the "high-performance software decoding" tactics involving LAV filter re-jiggering mentioned by this guy...

http://wp.me/PrgSo-gQ

...but it didn't help despite my system's bettering of his minimum requirements. Have you solved a similar problem with 4K material? If so, what am I missing?
    Michael Linder
    Quote Quote  
  4. Make a screenshot of the ctrl+j OSD. Which i7 do you have?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	1104
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	41088

Here it is.
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    Michael Linder
    Quote Quote  
  6. 1. Use x64 version of potplayer

2. Reset potplayer in preferences and don't touch anything (Do not use madVR and LAV). I bet it's enough.
    Quote Quote  
  7. SOLVED!

Thank you, Sheppaul!

The issue was the LAV filters. Despite my disabling them, Potplayer wasn't happy until I completely uninstalled them from my PC. I concur.

Best,
    Last edited by Michael Linder; 31st Mar 2017 at 03:39. Reason: UPDATE
    Michael Linder
    Quote Quote  
  8. Actually, it should not be an issue of LAV, madVR or Potplayer itself. Comparing VLC with Potplayer is totally incorrect too as madVR is resource hungry renderer requiring a power GPU and there is no madVR like renderer in VLC. Wrong configuration, wrong comparison, wrong usage for sure. As I said, if you're frequently going to play 4K contents, do not use madVR in your system with any player. Using lav with potplayer is useless if you don't have any playback problem with built-in features. However, there should be no problem with LAV if properly configured. I have LAV on my desktop as a backup & other usage but it does not conflict with potplayer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Michael Linder View Post
    The issue was the LAV filters.
    Glad you got it solved but from the screenshot you posted LAV should not have been the issue. It shows the decoder queue being full. So the problem would have rather been with the renderer/scaling, i.e. madvr. Like sheppaul said it can be very resource hungry depending on the configuration (like scaling algo). Esp. with 4K video ram can also start to play a role and make it necessary to reduce queue lengths in madvr settings. I believe in this case it might have been sufficient to use the madvr default settings which include lower queue sizes and Bicubic instead of Jinc for downscaling. GT 720 is not very powerful.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks for the refinements, guys,

MadVR was installed on my system inside a LAV codecs folder, the result of online advice from months ago. I uninstalled and reinstalled madVR without LAV, refined its settings and have greatly reduced stress on the various queues which now stabilize at 1-2/16 and /8 once the video has played for ~20 seconds, decreasing from 14-16/16 on playback start, and with no dropped frames. My last screenshot was taken with Potplayer paused. I realize now that this overstated queue numbers since the queues apparently fill to max when Potplayer is paused. My bad! Learning curve stuff.

I'm using a GTX 750 with 2GB of memory — a typo in my earlier post. Potplayer is currently using my card's CUDA Decoder with DXVA, full H.264 compatibility inspection and the FFMpeg DXVA option checked. In madVR settings, I'm using 10-bit choma and image buffers instead of 16-bit, and I've passed on its CPU-intensive refinements while keeping Error Diffusion 1 and its options.

I admit that many of these settings are guesswork as I trial-and-error my way through. For me, much of it is rocket science!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PotPlayer-with-madVR.png
Views:	1182
Size:	789.1 KB
ID:	41104
    Michael Linder
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Michael Linder View Post
    refined its settings and have greatly reduced stress on the various queues which now stabilize at 1-2/16 and /8 once the video has played for ~20 seconds, decreasing from 14-16/16 on playback start, and with no dropped frames. My last screenshot was taken with Potplayer paused. I realize now that this overstated queue numbers since the queues apparently fill to max when Potplayer is paused.
    Just to be sure: you do realize the queues are supposed to be as full as possible? For example 0-2/16 is very bad, 16/16 is perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Duh! Actually, I was clueless that the higher the buffer is better. Still, I brought that under control.

Fresh install of Potplayer x64 and its out-of-the box filter settings look great, though I switched over to madVR just to see what Ctrl+J had to say. Here's the verdict: Queues very nearly fill.

madVR remains virtually untouched with a few exceptions — Downscaling and Upscaling are DXVA 2, no rendering options other than Error Diffusion Option 1 and its sub-options. I may get the hang of these settings yet. Law school can't be too much tougher.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kern-County-CA.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	41105
    Michael Linder
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hello,

I am not able to play this 4K video https://anime.my/download/8th-test-video-lg-4k-garden-demo-clip/ in PotPlayer.

Here is the file info:

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\…\Downloads\PotPlayer Setup for Hi Q Performance\4k lg uhdtv garden demo.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42 (isom/mp42)
    File size : 2.69 GiB
    Duration : 3 min 4 s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 125 Mb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-12-31 19:20:50
    Tagged date : UTC 2012-12-31 19:20:50

Video
    ID : 2
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L5.1
    Format settings : CABAC / 5 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, Reference fra : 5 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=33
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 125 Mb/s
    Width : 3 840 pixels
    Height : 2 160 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 (23976/1000) FPS
    Original frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.629
    Stream size : 2.69 GiB (100%)
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-12-31 19:20:52
    Tagged date : UTC 2012-12-31 19:20:52
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709
    Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : AAC LC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
    Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 157 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate : 293 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel layout : L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
    Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 3.45 MiB (0%)
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-12-31 19:20:51
    Tagged date : UTC 2012-12-31 19:20:51

How do I understand this issue.. that My PotPlayer settings are wrong or my hardware is outdated?

Thanks.
    Sword is no substitute for kitchen-knife.
    Quote Quote