VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a sony camcorder that records in 1080i. How do I set handbrake to convert it to 1920x1080 or regular 720p?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In handbrake, you have to set it to deinterlace, using the slower setting (which is not really that slow). And either leave the resolution at 1920x1080 or resize it to 1280x720. This will create a 29.97fps video (assuming this is NTSC video). You can use the "bob" deinterlacing setting to convert the 2 fields per interlaced frame into their own individual frame, giving you 59.94fps and more fluid motion. However "bob" is not the greatest of deinterlacers but this is the only way I know how to frame rate double in handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If I drop it in handbrake, it tells me its 1440x1080, which comes out rectangular vertically and weird. If I stick it in Vegas, Vegas says its 1080i, 1920x1080 and looks fine. PAR in vegas says 16:9 and in Handbrake 4/3

I'm not sure what to change to make it come out right, still new to handbrake

Click image for larger version

Name:	handbrake.PNG
Views:	572
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	41073

Here's what it looks like if I just drop the file in and don't press anything

And thanks a BILLION for your reply!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Oh I guess I should say, I'm fine with the framerate the way it is....I think
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess your Sony camera is recording in HDV 1080i, which actually records at 1440 × 1080 to save bandwidth. But when viewing the video it is designed to be played back at 16:9 (1920x1080). Similar to how all NTSC DVDs have a pixel resolution of 720x480, which either needs to be stretched to 16:9 or shrunk to 4:3 (~656x480) when played back by the DVD player.

So if you are wanting to encode this video with handbrake, than you can just force it to resize your video to 1920x1080 by selecting "Anamorphic --> None", unclicking the "keep aspect ratio" and just forcing it to 1920x1080.

Or maybe you have a AVCHD camera recording in 1440x1080, which can also be set to full 1920x1080 recording. The 1440x1080 also needs to be stretched on this format to 16:9 also.
    Last edited by KarMa; 29th Mar 2017 at 15:23. Reason: DVD resolution change
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you! I will try this!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Handbrake will not allow me to set 1920x1080, whatever I type gets stuck back to 1440, Anamorphic is set to none and Keep aspect ratio is unchecked
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
    Handbrake will not allow me to set 1920x1080, whatever I type gets stuck back to 1440, Anamorphic is set to none and Keep aspect ratio is unchecked
    Yeah Handbrake is a little buggy with anamorphic resolutions, been like that for a long time. I would try Vidcoder, which uses Handbrake's engine but a better GUI than standard Handbrake. Seems to allow for full manual mode when setting the resolution output.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn8ebNh.png
Views:	681
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	41076

Be sure to set setting to

Cropping: None (unless you need to crop)
    Sizing Mode: Manual (then set it to 1920x1080)
    Deinterlace: Yadif / Default / Default
    Framerate: Constant

Once you are done, save your preset and use the new preset for encoding these 1440x1080 source videos.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you thank you thank you! I will try this
    Quote Quote  
  10. Under quality do I check constant quality? What number should it be on?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For Constant Quality (aka CRF), lower numbers equal better quality and larger file sizes. Larger numbers equal lower quality and smaller file sizes. Generally, 18 is considered transparent which means that the quality loss is not really perceivable. Might be able to push it to 21-23 for smaller sizes but not much loss in quality. With HD 1080p content, you can normally get away with slightly higher CRFs, than SD 480p content which would need a CRF 1 or 2 lower.

With Constant Quality you will not know the final file size (bitrate) but will know the general quality of the video being encoded beforehand.
    Last edited by KarMa; 29th Mar 2017 at 21:41.
    Quote Quote