VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently caught a virus that does not allow me to boot into normal Windows 7 mode. It will start into my desktop and then go into blue screen every single time. It also somehow uninstalled my Super Anti-Spyware program and Malwarebytes program. So if I go into safe mode, and I try to run these programs I will get an error message indicating that it's already running. It says "The requested resource is in use". So it's advanced enough to uninstall my programs AND prevent me from reinstalling them. I can't seem to run these programs.

I probably will have to resort to reformatting my computer. So if I go into Safe Mode and move my files, like Word documents and Excel files and video files and audio files into a external hard drive, can the virus follow with the transfer and damage my other files on my external hard drive?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might also use a Linux live boot disc to get access to your files and transfer them.
    That should bypass any Windows operating system, and likely a virus.

After you backup your files the Linux OS might be able let you see your virus or whatever it is and delete it.

Worth a try before wiping the boot drive. Linux Ubuntu is easy to use.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Redwudz, I'm not computer savvy by any means so never done it via Linux Live Boot.

So a Trojan can actually attach itself to a file and transfer to a hard drive when you copy and paste?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I use Linux but often get asked to fix problems like yours on Windows systems. Get yourself a copy of Ubuntu Linux (www.ubuntu.com), it's free to download, then install it on a DVD or USB stick. You then have a portable OS you can move from one computer to another. Boot the infected PC from it, copy your work files to it then restore/reinstall Windows and do the same to copy the files back. Linux can read and write Windows file structures so it will have no problem seeing them but it cannot be infected by them itself.

Some files can be infected, some can not. In general, video and photgraph files are safe, documents are safe as long as they do not use macros (if you don't know what they are you are probably OK). The programs to worry about will probably end with .exe, .dll, .com, .bat, .msi and .jar. In other words the kind of files that can run as a program rather than ones that just store information.

Caution: if you re-install Windows, make sure you have the original registration details and serial numbers first as you may need them to re-activate it. Also, as a precautionary measure, completely wipe the original installation then power down the computer. There are infections that 'hide' in memory and immediately re-infect as files are reinstalled, with the power off, the memory is wiped and should start clean again.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jyeh74 View Post
    I'm not computer savvy by any means
    Well, at least your honest. Time to take your computer to an expert.
    Quote Quote  
  6. YES, there is a high level of danger if you connect another storage device, that the virus, if present, will infect it. Booting from an uninfected CD will prevent this, and the CD will remain clean.

Lots of things you could do, but it sounds like a competent professional might be called for.

Symptoms do not necessarily indicate an infection, but verifying the problem will require some detailed steps. Manual cleaning of all temp directories and examination of Registry run keys, also a check of event logs would be a start.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Jyeh74

If you can afford the time you could go to BleepingComputer.com, sign up and post you problem in the Windows 7 section in the Forums.

I have used them twice before and they have always helped me solve my problem. There appears to be someone on there with a similar problem as you.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/642972/windows-7-i-installed-a-virus-now-i-d...ow-what-to-do/

If you decide to go this route then after signing up read this (I donít know how I found it)

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using...questing-help/

They also have some guides on removing the more common viruses.

Good luck with however you decide to do.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jyeh74 View Post
    I recently caught a virus that does not allow me to boot into normal Windows 7 mode. It will start into my desktop and then go into blue screen every single time. It also somehow uninstalled my Super Anti-Spyware program and Malwarebytes program. So if I go into safe mode, and I try to run these programs I will get an error message indicating that it's already running. It says "The requested resource is in use". So it's advanced enough to uninstall my programs AND prevent me from reinstalling them. I can't seem to run these programs.

I probably will have to resort to reformatting my computer. So if I go into Safe Mode and move my files, like Word documents and Excel files and video files and audio files into a external hard drive, can the virus follow with the transfer and damage my other files on my external hard drive?
    By blue screen do you mean BSOD (dark blue with white letters) or Blue screen as in light blue and that's it?

Boot to normal windows. Wait for that light blue screen. Hit ctrl-alt-del
    Does the menu come up to chose Task Manager? If yes, select it
    In task manager, select file, new task. type explorer.exe and click OK
    Does your desktop come up?
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    One last item probably worth mentioning, unplug that computer from the Internet. Some viri can automatically re-install.
    When you finish cleaning or repairing the PC, then you can plug in the internet.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1 to all the above, especially Sameself's recommendation of having an expert do the file transfer and repair.

In answer to your post title "How do virus act?", there are thousands (if not tens of thousands) of different "viruses" (including adware/malware, trojan horses, worms, etc) that can do something as simple as hijacking your homepage or search engine to tracking your keystrokes (identity thief) to encrypting all your files requiring you to pay a ransom to unlock. One common thing about most "viruses" is that unless you catch it immediately upon download/execution, it will install more "viruses" (hence redwudz's advice to disconnect from the internet).

Edit: If you do decide to do it yourself, take your time. I've spent days cleaning 100's of 1000's of viruses from computers (fortunately not my own). Yes, it would have been faster to do a reinstall, but I used it as a learning experience.
    Last edited by lingyi; 28th Mar 2017 at 22:45.
    Quote Quote