VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Guys new to this Forum

I wonder i have a slightly old Receiver and it handles up DTS 5.1 but i wonder how will i process AAC audio do i get surround sound or stereo, will it PCM,Pro LOgic, or Digital?

i would like to be able to use that home Cinema system for AAC Movies but i want the Audio to be a least Dolby Digital but ulitmatley DTS.
    i read an old thread about converting AAC to DTS/AC3 but i wonder how difficult will it be in that i mean do i need to extract the audio first then convert or does the PopCorn converter do it all instead of me extracting stuff and all?

Best Whishes
    Movie73
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you convert to a lossy format (like DTS or DD) you will only lose quality. If your receiver cannot accept AAC input just output PCM via HDMI. Is your PopCorn not doing this automatically?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not quite sure, but IMO any up-to-date FFMPEG based encoder can convert AAC to DTS.
    If not, and if you don't need 6.1 or 7.1 (maybe even with Atmos), you might want to stick to AC3.

[edit]
    Or do as sneaker said. If you want to squeeze your audio a little, try FLAC - if supported by your system.
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well my Sony is rather Old so no HDMI at all so i guess i have to try put an Movie with 5-6ch AAC on a USB stick connect to my Xbox One and see hopw the receiver out puts it, PCM or at best ProLogic.
    i could of Course Watch these AAC Movies connecting my laptop to our TV use the SPDIF connector so i can use the Optical Audio Cable, see on my laptop i have codecs and different video players all the usual ones and Kodi

iŽll try it later and see what happens iŽll let you know what the receiver output it as.
    hav e a great day guys

EDIT: well no worries the display showed DTS all channles and LFE so apparently the Xbox One can decode AAC audio i have no other explanation for it what do you guys Think?
    Last edited by EpiCMovie73; 27th Mar 2017 at 07:42.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also i have Another Question when people talk about connecting HDMI to a receiver lets say i connect my Xbox One to a receiver via HDMI does the receiver have an ouput hdmi for Picture?
    I have Always wondered how do i get Picture if i connect a Blu ray player and so forth via HDMi to the receiver
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by EpiCMovie73 View Post
    Also i have Another Question when people talk about connecting HDMI to a receiver lets say i connect my Xbox One to a receiver via HDMI does the receiver have an ouput hdmi for Picture?
    Yes. (Some players have 2 HDMI outputs. One to TV for picture and a separate for audio-only to receiver.)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys i didnŽt want to cereate a new thread as this qyeston is about Movie and multichannel audio, i wonder why some Movies hav AC-3 640kbps as 6 channel audio isnŽt the quality more compressed than real DTS-DTS-HD and so on?
    so if i Watch same Movie with AC-3 and DTS will the sound experience be better with DTS than AC-3?

I wish you all a nice evening/day
    Quote Quote