VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have a .MKV and a .srt and when I ran everything as usual I ended up with the subtitle covered by the bottom edge of my CRT TV bezel [old and poor, don't bug me about it please]. There is quite a bit of distance from the bottom of the video image and the bottom of the screen. I worked at a TV station for 20 years but left before learning much about digital TV so I have a _bit_ of knowledge: the TV image is over scanned to make the picture look bigger, which makes the problem worse - or may be the whole problem.

I would like to set AVStoDVD to put the subs at least 3 inches [x pixels] higher on the screen.

Has anyone ever asked anything like this before? Would AVStoDVD even recognize the need? Am I stuck? Not a total Newbie to AVStoDVD, per se, but, some of the alphabet jumbles I have seen in other answers went right over my head.

Thanks for any and all help, Viewerx1
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MKV with srt subs?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard011.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	41032  

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes this can be done in AvstoDVD. Open the preferences/authoring-burning tab
    To the right of where it says "DVD subs font" there are three buttons. The middle
    button controls the subs position.
    After you set it remember to save current preferences as default.
    Then reload the project
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can also raise them after having made the DVD by using DVDSubEdit. The user manual explains how:

http://download.videohelp.com/DVDSubEdit/UserManual/helpfile.htm

You'll want to read 2.7 Modifying the subtitle vertical positions by hand. Or section 2.8.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sambat and Davexnet: Thank you! I never would have thought to click on the ...

Now to find out how much is enough.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Really really weird!! I jacked the sub rather high to get the feel and used a DVD-RW. There is no difference between the two _at all_! Two players on the CRT TV. The TV is too old to worry about subtitles. 32" about 2 decades old.

Put discs into PC. Windows Media Player [would not show any subs on either even with it set for English.] Opened VLC. This second one's subs were seen as Track 1. The original needed the .srt file opened as the only option.

I have zero problems with other projects. I will watch the darn thing on the VLC on the PC screen. Comfort level etc is lower but this is like an earworm. Cannot get rid of it until you can hear it end.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Good day to you all!

Edit: [would not...] The subs are 8 seconds out of sync! Looked at the WMP during talking and saw nothing and stopped. The second disc with subs set high have random half sentences every 15 to 20 seconds. Unable to tell if out of sync. Just as weird as if no subs at all.

Almost a learning experience, if I had learned more that how to set _normal_ subs. Bye,
    Last edited by viewerx1; 24th Mar 2017 at 20:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDSubEdit, , , , fast & (relatively) simple.

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote