VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    At http://x265.ru/en/builds one can find x265 builds compiled with either GCC, ICC, or VC++.
    Does the compiler matter in any way? Or doesn't it have any impact on the conversion speed?
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Most of the really time critical code for 8 bit internal resolution, and also much of 10 bit and some of 12 bit, is already available as several assembler optimized routines for different CPU instruction set extensions (SSE3/4, AVX, AVX2...).

There is little code left where a C/C++ compiler could still produce optimized code; mostly for cases which are not in the main fields of usage (e.g. 32 bit code for high bit depths, some HBD routines not yet optimized, fallback routines when you disable assembler optimized routines by --asm switch, and not so time critical code outside the encoder core).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So the compiler actually doesn't matter. Good to know.

Danke!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I didn't say "not at all". Just "not much, compared to handcrafted assembly routines", which are already implemented for most common use cases.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I must have misunderstood things. Nevertheless, I think in the end it's only a matter of some minutes for a 2-hour movie. Or am I going wrong again?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    That's right. A difference of more than 2% would be a surprise when assembly core routines are available, especially when x265 has a good CPU utilization and can make use of AVX2 and FMA3.
    Quote Quote