VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey!

I am trying to get into video editing so I thought I would start with some basic stuff but I ran into some problems..

Heres what I want to do: Make a video out of a image (scan of open book) where it first zooms in on the upper half of the left page, then pans down to the lower half and zooms out after a few seconds. Then repeat the same with the right page.

So I made the first segment and added the zoom effect, made another segment to add the pan down effect. But the zoom of the first segment doesn't line up properly with the pan effect of the second because the squares where you set zoom/ pan location don't have the same proportions and apparently you can only move them proportionally..

Now there are a few questions..
    How would a experienced user go about doing this?
    Can you only set one zoom/pan effect per segment?
    Is there a way to continue the second segment where the first one finished (already zoomed in on upper left half)?

Edit: I use movavi video suite trial version at the moment
    Last edited by TotalNewb; 21st Mar 2017 at 11:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm not familiar with that particular software, but every other editing software I've used allows you to create keyframes without breaking apart the video into separate segments. However, if your software allows you to define your zoom and pan precisely (zoom size and center point, as shown below), you should be able to do the same thing even if you do have separate segments. Keyframes just make it easier.

So for example, if your source image is 2810x2173 (my image is), and you want to take 2 seconds to zoom in to the upper left quarter, then wait 5 seconds, then take 2 seconds to pan down, then over to the upper right quarter, then down to the lower right, and finally zoom back out... (just modify the number of keyframes and where you need to move to, etc., to suit the project you're doing)

Starting keyframe (at 0 seconds) is 2810x2173, centered at 1405,1086.5 {original image, full zoom}
    Set a keyframe at 2 seconds, defined as 1405x1086.5, centered at 702.5,543.3 {this zooms in to the upper left quarter}
    Set a keyframe at 7 seconds, with the same definition. {hold position for 5 seconds}
    Set a keyframe at 9 seconds, defined as 1405x1086.5, centered at 702.5,1629.8 {pan down}
    Set a keyframe at 14 seconds, with the same definition. {hold position for 5 seconds}
    Set a keyframe at 16 seconds, defined as 1405x1086.5, centered at 2107.5,543.3 {pan up and to the right}
    Set a keyframe at 21 seconds, with the same definition. {hold position for 5 seconds}
    Set a keyframe at 23 seconds, defined as 1405x1086.5, centered at 2107.5,1629.8 {pan down}
    Set a keyframe at 28 seconds, with the same definition. {hold position for 5 seconds}
    Set a keyframe at 30 seconds, defined as 2810x2173, centered at 1405,1086.5 {zoom back out}

I made the video 640x480 (4:3), since the image is close to that aspect ratio to begin with.
    I changed "maintain aspect ratio" to "no" so the image fills the screen instead of having black bars on the sides.

For this example, I made the clip 35 seconds long, so it holds the final zoomed out image for an additional 5 seconds.

I created the video using Vegas Movie Studio.
    Image Attached Files
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  3. Wow that's exactly what I was looking for. Will try it with the software you were using.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation!
    Quote Quote