VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey folks!

I am quite a noob to CLI encoding, but i have had some experience with it ages ago.
    Sadly my brain is pretty flawed, so i am trying hard to scrape the right commands together for (batch) transcoding X264 to X265 with FFMPEG.
    Sources are nearly all FHD TV Shows ripped from Bluray or HDTV.

This command is what i have right now:

ffmpeg -i input -c:v libx265 -preset superfast -crf 24 -c:a aac -b:a 386k output.mkv

VERY IMPORTANT:
    1. the same aspect ratio as input
    2. same frame rate as input
    3. same resolution as input
    4. all subtitle streams same as input
    5. all audio streams with same mixdown, same Khz, transcoded into 386k AAC
    6. video stream transcoded to x265 with CRF 22
    7. MKV as container
    8. Output file name same as source plus an added "-DONE" or something like that

I have searched the documentation, googled for hours and hours, but i dont know how to procede.
    If someone could help me get the commands right, then i can move on to try to write a batch file with them..

To point 1,2,3: AFAIK FFMPEG would do just as i want it in default setting. Is this right? Would this apply to the command line i wrote, or do i have to add something?
    To point 4: AFAIK in default setting FFMPEG would only use 1 subtitle, not all available. What to i need to add to have it copy all subs to output mkv?
    To point 5: I think the 386 kbs AAC thing i got right, but how do i have it use the same mixdown, sample rate and transcode all audio streams to output mkv?
    To point 6: I think i got this right.. Or am i missing something?
    To point 7: And this one too, or not?
    To point 8: Now with this one, i am totally clueless..

Any help would be appreciated.. I have some hundreds of hours to transcode, and CLI would be perfect. Using a GUI for this would be a true nightmare..

Kind regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1,2,3. Yes, it's default. Nothing to change.
    4. -map 0 to map all streams from input to output. -c:s copy to avoid any subtitle format changes (but probably not needed)
    5. is ok like this
    6. is ok (Well, you wrote -crf 24 but want 22. I assume that's just a typo...)
    7. is ok
    for %%a in (*.mkv) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -map 0 -c:v libx265 -preset superfast -crf 22 -c:a aac -b:a 386k -c:s copy "%%~na-DONE.mkv"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    1,2,3. Yes, it's default. Nothing to change.
    4. -map 0 to map all streams from input to output. -c copy to avoid any subtitle format changes (but probably not needed)
    5. is ok like this
    6. is ok (Well, you wrote -crf 24 but want 22. I assume that's just a typo...)
    7. is ok
    for %%a in (*.mkv) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -map 0 -c:v libx265 -preset superfast -crf 22 -c:a aac -b:a 386k -c copy "%%~na-DONE.mkv"

Wow, thank you for your fast help sneaker! You're godsend!

I assume, that the command line you wrote will work on all mkv files in the current directory? "for %%a in (*.mkv) do" Should be a loop, or am i confusing something there? Sorry, I am just starting again with batch scripting, and my programming classes have been over a decade ago.

This is the batch file i have written now:

Code:
    REM SCRIPT FOR FFMPEG + X265
    REM VERSION 0.0.2
    REM USE: BATCH TRANSCODING X264 TO X265 WITH ALL STREAMS
    REM STATUS-SCRIPT: NOT TESTET
    REM STATUS-JOB: -
    CLS
    echo "-------------- HI! ALLTHATEV!L FFMPEG SCR!PT V.0.0.2 ---------------"
    echo "------------------------------ X265 --------------------------------"
    echo "----------------------- COPYRIGHT? HELL NO! ------------------------"
    echo "---------------------- USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! -----------------------"
    echo "----------------- CONTACT: SteLe.Office@GMail.com ------------------"
    echo 
    echo "-------------- WITH GREAT HELP FROM SNEAKER@VIDEOHELP --------------"
    echo
    echo "--------------------- !USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! -----------------------"
    echo
    echo "|--------------------------->:JOB INFOS:<--------------------------|"
    echo "| TOOL:[FFMPEG]                                                    |"
    echo "|------------------------------------------------------------------|"
    echo "| JOB-TYPE - TRANSCODING - VIDEO:[X]                               |"
    echo "| JOB-TYPE - TRANSCODING - AUDIO:[X]                               |"
    echo "| JOB-TYPE - TRANSCODING - IMAGES:[/]                              |"
    echo "| SOURCE-SINGLE:[/]                                                |"
    echo "| SOURCE-BATCH/MULTIPLE:[X]                                        |"
    echo "| TARGET-CODEC-AUDIO: AAC:[/] AC3:[/] MP3:[/] DTS:[/] PASS-THR.:[X]|"
    echo "| TARGET-CODEC-VIDEO: X264:[/] X265:[X] VP9:[/] PASS-THROUGH:[/]   |" 
    echo "| TARGET-CONTAINER: MP4[/] MKV[X]                                  |"
    echo "| TARGET-SUBTITLES: PASS-THROUGH:[X] ENG:[/] GER:[/]: FR:[/]       |"
    echo "| TARGET-ASPECT RATIO: PASS-THROUGH:[X] 16:9:[/] 4:3:[/] CINEMA:[/]|"
    echo "| TARGET-RESOLUTION: PASS-THROUGH:[X] 4K:[/] FHD:[/] HD:[/] DVD:[/]|" 
    echo "| TRANSFER-ENCRYPTION-FILE-CONTENTS:[X]                            |"
    echo "| TRANSFER-ENCRYPTION-FILE-CONTENTS:[/]                            |"
    echo "|--------------------------->:JOB INFOS<---------------------------|"
    echo
    echo
    echo "-------->>>>>>>>>> N O W  S T A R T I N G  J O B <<<<<<<<<<---------"
    echo 
    echo
    for %%a in (*.mkv) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -map 0 -c:v libx265 -preset superfast -crf 24 -c:a aac -b:a 386k -c:s copy "%%~na-DONE.mkv"
    echo
    echo
    echo "------>>>>>>>>>> J O B  I S  N O W  C O M P L E T E <<<<<<<<<<------"
    echo 
    REM MENU IS STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION, ATM ONLY PAUSES FOR EXIT TILL KEYBOARD INPUT. EXTEND IN FUTURE.
    echo "|----------------------------->: MENU :<---------------------------|"
    echo "| PLEASE SELECT HOW TO PROCEED:                                    |"
    echo "| 1: EXIT TO COMMAND PROMPT                                        |"
    PAUSE
    EXIT
    Please dont get confused by me trying to build some ASCII art, its kind of an old fetish of me..

Could you please look over it, if I included your command correctly, or if there is something missing i have to add on my side? Is the batch processing of all mkvs in current dir implemented?

And one last question: If i want to just pass through the source audio stream, it would have to look like this, or am i wrong:

Code:
    for %%a in (*.mkv) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -map 0 -c:v libx265 -preset superfast -crf 24 -b:a copy -c:s copy "%%~na-DONE.mkv"
    Thanks a 1000 times for your great help,

Good night

PS: Youre right, the CRF 22 is a typo, should be 24! thx!

EDIT: Will all audio channels be preserved, no matter if Stereo or 5.1? With both variations of the command line?

With your version with audio transcoding to AAC@384kbs:
    Code:
    for %%a in (*.mkv) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -map 0 -c:v libx265 -preset superfast -crf 24 -c:a aac -b:a 386k -c:s copy "%%~na-DONE.mkv"
    And with my try on copy off original audio stream as i posted above for further checking:
    Code:
    for %%a in (*.mkv) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -map 0 -c:v libx265 -preset superfast -crf 24 -b:a copy -c:s copy "%%~na-DONE.mkv"

It would be crucial to preserve all channels, no matter what input, and what type of processing (transcode to AAC /copy original stream)..

Now i really need to sleep..
    Last edited by AllThatEvil; 20th Mar 2017 at 17:39. Reason: Forgot part of my answer ;)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by AllThatEvil View Post
    I assume, that the command line you wrote will work on all mkv files in the current directory? "for %%a in (*.mkv) do" Should be a loop[...]?
    Yes. (There are ways to make it work in sub-directories as well. Or via drag&drop multiple files.)

Originally Posted by AllThatEvil View Post
    And one last question: If i want to just pass through the source audio stream, it would have to look like this, or am i wrong:

Code:
    It's -c:a copy, not -b:a copy. (c = codec, b = bitrate)

Will all audio channels be preserved, no matter if Stereo or 5.1? With both variations of the command line?
    Yes. (Unless you en-counter something exotic ffmpeg's aac encoder can't handle. But common ones from mono to 7.1 should not be a problem.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can modify some x265 aspects by passing parameters trough "x265params" variable (option) - example bellow:

Code:
    @set x265params="level=5.1:no-high-tier=0:crf=20:vbv-bufsize=40000:vbv-maxrate=40000:keyint=2:min_keyint=1:bframes=0:b-adapt=0:no-b-intra=1:rd=1:no-psy-rd=1:rc-lookahead=0:rdoq-level=1:merange=4:subme=0:ctu=32:max-tu-size=16:no-sao=1:fast-intra=1:no-deblock=1:no-weightp=1:no-weightb=1:no-scenecut=1:no-cutree=1:frame-threads=0:uhd-bd=1:no-open-gop=1:repeat-headers=1:no_psnr=1:no_ssim=1:colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709"

@ffmpeg.exe -y -hide_banner -loglevel 32 -i "%1" -intra -flags:v -ilme-ildct+cgop+low_delay+qscale -me_method 0 -g 1 -c:v libx265 -x265-params %x265params% -preset:v ultrafast -an -dn -sn -f mpegts "test_HD265.ts"
    Last edited by pandy; 21st Mar 2017 at 05:43.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I assume, that the command line you wrote will work on all mkv files in the current directory? "for %%a in (*.mkv) do" Should be a loop[...]?
    Yes. (There are ways to make it work in sub-directories as well. Or via drag&drop multiple files.)

Code:
    It's -c:a copy, not -b:a copy. (c = codec, b = bitrate)

Will all audio channels be preserved, no matter if Stereo or 5.1? With both variations of the command line?
    Yes. (Unless you en-counter something exotic ffmpeg's aac encoder can't handle. But common ones from mono to 7.1 should not be a problem.)
    Wow, you are my hero! I finally have a working command line for both audio codec+channel pass through and for aac transcoding! I am stunned!

These are my updated command lines, and i hope them to be final, if i havent missed another mistake:

COMMAND LINE - FINAL - AUDIO@SAME CHANNELS+ PASS THROUGH - AUTO:
    Code:
    for %%a in (*.mkv) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -map 0 -c:v libx265 -preset superfast -crf 24 -c:a copy -c:s copy "%%~na-DONE.mkv"
    COMMAND LINE - FINAL - AUDIO@SAME CHANNELS+TRANSCODE - AAC - 386:
    Code:
    As for exotic audio codecs/channel layouts: I doubt there to be such. Should all be DTS, AC3 or AAC. So no problem!

Once again, thank you! Withour your help, i would have already gone up on FFMPEG CLI. For giving back at least something to the forum, i will post all commands and a proper batch file here after i have done my testing together with some tips and instructions for other Newbies to CLI.
    It may not be helpfull for most pros here, but maybe at least some other afraid of anything without a GUI.
    And thanks for keeping up with me and my many questions, as the asperger autist that i am.

Greetings
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    You can modify some x265 aspects by passing parameters trough "x265params" variable (option) - example bellow:

Code:
    @set x265params="level=5.1:no-high-tier=0:crf=20:vbv-bufsize=40000:vbv-maxrate=40000:keyint=2:min_keyint=1:bframes=0:b-adapt=0:no-b-intra=1:rd=1:no-psy-rd=1:rc-lookahead=0:rdoq-level=1:merange=4:subme=0:ctu=32:max-tu-size=16:no-sao=1:fast-intra=1:no-deblock=1:no-weightp=1:no-weightb=1:no-scenecut=1:no-cutree=1:frame-threads=0:uhd-bd=1:no-open-gop=1:repeat-headers=1:no_psnr=1:no_ssim=1:colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709"

@ffmpeg.exe -y -hide_banner -loglevel 32 -i "%1" -intra -flags:v -ilme-ildct+cgop+low_delay+qscale -me_method 0 -g 1 -c:v libx265 -x265-params %x265params% -preset:v ultrafast -an -dn -sn -f mpegts "test_HD265.ts"
    Hey pandy, thats a great suggestion! Actually i was thinking about using x265 CLI directly instead of FFMPEG, because of the use of additional commands and options.

Sadly i have no clue as to how to implement this into the command line i have now after sneaker massive help.

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS THAT WOULD N O T BE NEEDED IF I AM CORRECT:
    1. Performance options for multi threading should not be necessary as x265 automatically optimizes settings according to CPU cores/threads, am i right? Not talking about fine grain optimization, only of using all cores of my 8 core FX 8150.

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS THAT WOULD BE NEEDED:
    2. tune: I would need a variation of my command line with tune-grain included.
    3. 10bit: I would love to have a variation of my command line with 10bit encoding.

So my question: How would i have to modify my command line for Point 2, and how for Point 3?
    Here the final command line that should include these additional options:

Code:
    for %%a in (*.mkv) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -map 0 -c:v libx265 -preset superfast -crf 24 -c:a copy -c:s copy "%%~na-DONE.mkv"
    If i would know how to include an x265 option into it, i cloud easily extend it to other options or multiple options. But this first step leaves me clueless. I could only guess like this:

Code:

@set x265params="tune=grain:output-depth=10"
    Or like this (After some searching here on the forum) with trying to integrate both tune-grain and 10 bit:
    Code:
    for %%a in (*.mkv) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -map 0 -c:v libx265 -preset superfast -crf 24 -c:a copy -c:s copy -x265-params tune=grain:output-depth=10 "%%~na-DONE.mkv"
    After all the help here, this now is my last step before i have everything complete and ready for use.. I hope this last question of integrating 10bit and tune-grain into my command lines can be solved too.. This would be amazing!
    Thanks for now,
    Greetings
    Quote Quote  
  8. Libx265 needs to be compiled to include 10 bit encoding otherwise the setting will be ignored. See the ffmpeg log or test output file in MediaInfo.
    Quote Quote  
  9. You can check your ffmpeg libx265 capabilities by calling ffmpeg with bellow syntax:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -h encoder=libx265 >libx265.txt
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Libx265 needs to be compiled to include 10 bit encoding otherwise the setting will be ignored. See the ffmpeg log or test output file in MediaInfo.
    Okay, i just tried it. Batch fle runs fine, but as you pointed out, 10 bit seems not to be included (If i do have integrated the output-depth=10 parameter right). I get this error while the transcoding continues: "Unknown option: output-depth"

The command line i used is this:
    for %%a in (*.mkv) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -map 0 -c:v libx265 -preset superfast -crf 22 -c:a copy -c copy -x265-params output-depth=10 "%%~na-DONE.mkv"

I already have looked into compiling it myself some days ago, and was pushed back from it, because the process overwhelmed me:
    https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/MinGW

For now i will stay away from 10-bit, will return to it when i have more time at my hands!

PS: I got my FFMPEG build from here: https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

pandy:
    I did this, but i dont see anything related to bit depth in the output file:

Code:
    Encoder libx265 [libx265 H.265 / HEVC]:
        General capabilities: delay threads 
        Threading capabilities: auto
        Supported pixel formats: yuv420p yuv422p yuv444p gbrp gray
    libx265 AVOptions:
      -crf               <float>      E..V.... set the x265 crf (from -1 to FLT_MAX) (default -1)
      -forced-idr        <boolean>    E..V.... if forcing keyframes, force them as IDR frames (default false)
      -preset            <string>     E..V.... set the x265 preset
      -tune              <string>     E..V.... set the x265 tune parameter
      -x265-params       <string>     E..V.... set the x265 configuration using a :-separated list of key=value parameters
    anyway, as stated above, i will stay away from further experimenting with 10 bit for now. Right now i am damn happy to have the batch file working, and 10 bit would only be the icing on the cake.

Will test all variations of my batch files, and then report back!

Thanks again!
    Last edited by AllThatEvil; 21st Mar 2017 at 16:14.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I tested the batch file for tune=grain too, and it ALSO produced an error. It seems the command for x265 parameters is NOT placed properly.

As i said i the post above, dont mind 10-Bit, but for tune=grain i definitely need a working command line..

So what is wrong here?

Code:
    for %%a in (*.mkv) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -map 0 -c:v libx265 -preset superfast -crf 22 -c:a copy -c:s copy -x265-params tune=grain "%%~na-DONE.mkv"
    I dont get it..
    Quote Quote  
  12. Just use -tune grain
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by AllThatEvil View Post

pandy:
    I did this, but i dont see anything related to bit depth in the output file:

Code:
    Encoder libx265 [libx265 H.265 / HEVC]:
        General capabilities: delay threads 
        Threading capabilities: auto
    libx265 AVOptions:
      -crf               <float>      E..V.... set the x265 crf (from -1 to FLT_MAX) (default -1)
      -forced-idr        <boolean>    E..V.... if forcing keyframes, force them as IDR frames (default false)
      -preset            <string>     E..V.... set the x265 preset
      -tune              <string>     E..V.... set the x265 tune parameter
      -x265-params       <string>     E..V.... set the x265 configuration using a :-separated list of key=value parameters

Most interesting for 10 bit support is part:

Code:
    It must support 10 or higher bitdepth - something like yuv420p10le .
    You can consider to build own ffmpeg binary with 10 bit depth support (and also more codecs - Zeranoe builds are highly restricted due GPL licensee).
    This https://github.com/jb-alvarado/media-autobuild_suite is quite nice solution even for noobs like me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    and this https://github.com/rdp/ffmpeg-windows-build-helpers if you're into cross-compiling (based on zeranoe's toolchain)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just use -tune grain
    YES! Grain is working now! Thanks!

[QUOTE=pandy;2480965]
    Most interesting for 10 bit support is part:

Code:
    It must support 10 or higher bitdepth - something like yuv420p10le .
    You can consider to build own ffmpeg binary with 10 bit depth support (and also more codecs - Zeranoe builds are highly restricted due GPL licensee).
    This https://github.com/jb-alvarado/media-autobuild_suite is quite nice solution even for noobs like me.
    Okay, Thanks! Did not know about Zeranoe builds background. I also didnt know about those noob friendly ways for compiling. Havent compiled anything before (other then VB/BASIC or bat to exe 15 years ago), but there is a first time for everything i guess. I wanted to avoid it, havent not that much free time at my hands ATM, but now that the command line is right, the FFMPEG process crashes after some time (30 minutes to some hours). Maybe it would be better to compile it fresh myself for stability too.
    I will look at those tools and figure out the best way and post back after successful compiling.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by hydra3333 View Post
    and this https://github.com/rdp/ffmpeg-windows-build-helpers if you're into cross-compiling (based on zeranoe's toolchain)
    Cross compiling means compiling on one platform for another, right? So you mean compiling on Linux for my Windows Desktop? This would be possible, because i have a Ubuntu Setup running on my QNAP NAS. What would be the advantage of that compared to compiling on Windows directly like mentioned in the FFMPEG wiki?

TO FFMPEG-PROCESS NOW CRASHING:
    I tested the now complete and working batch file several times now on multiple FHD X264 videos with a length of 45-60 minutes each for conversion to x265 (everything else is pass through).
    First time it crashed after 1-2 hours. Second time whole Win 10 crashed to BSOD. I am now testing a third time to confirm FFMPEG is really the guilty one here.

As I am a little under time pressure, because of the huge number of video i have to process, which will likely take weeks, I am thinking about using Handbrake-CLI:

I have had good experiences with it in the past on x264, with zero crashes and similar speed to FFMPEG.
    I just managed to create a batch file with the same options as the one for FFMPEG, with some minor problems remaining.

I will check if FFMPEG continues to crash, and then try to finalize the Handbrake command line.

For now i would say this thread has served its purpose in helping me building the command line for FFMPEG. When stability continous to be an issue, i will open another thread, as i will do, if i still need help on Handbrake CLI.

For now thanks for all the help and support! I really learned a lot in this thread, so thanks again to sneaker, pandry and hydra3333 too!
    Quote Quote  
  16. ffmpeg is a user space app. If you get a BSOD it must be a problem with OS, driver or hardware. Run the usual things like Intel Burn Test, Prim95, Memtest86+ etc. and fix your system. If you have overclocking: undo it. Try to take out some of the RAM to see if it is faulty. Check temperatures of CPU + GPU. I believe x265 is very AVX2 intensive.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ffmpeg is a user space app. If you get a BSOD it must be a problem with OS, driver or hardware. Run the usual things like Intel Burn Test, Prim95, Memtest86+ etc. and fix your system. If you have overclocking: undo it. Try to take out some of the RAM to see if it is faulty. Check temperatures of CPU + GPU. I believe x265 is very AVX2 intensive.
    Okay, great info! I plan on setting up my system with the creators update anyway, no harm in doing this now. Then i can be sure. Another thing to second your info: Hanbrake CLI crashed TOO just before the end of completing first file.

Will start a batch job on Handbrake GUI with the same sample files before i go to sleep for curiosity, but will setup new system on weekend when i have more time at my hands.

Thanks again sneaker!
    Good night!
    Quote Quote