VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IS the prores much better then AVCHD? A debunking video test about prores.

Please feel free to share your opinion, after you have watched the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E92jDQpou4Q

I can't unhderstand why some people use intermediate codecs like the prores, instead of lossless video compressors.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post
    I can't unhderstand why some people use intermediate codecs like the prores, instead of lossless video compressors.
    lol
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post
    lol
    So can you explain the right of prores for the existence, when you can record with lossless compressors to your laptop via HDMI input?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cause the bitrate will probably more than double, for the same resolution/color depth/bit depth. Based on me quick testing 1080p FFV1 (which is arguably the best for lossless compression), and would obviously get worse if using more a realistic real time lossless codec like Huffyuv or Utvideo, which have an even worse compression ratio. We still live in a world with bandwidth and storage limitations, so I would say this is the main driving factor.
    Last edited by KarMa; 20th Mar 2017 at 13:07. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    My opinion is that I can't properly evaluate ProRes422 when it has been re-encoded to VP9 or AVC.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post
    So can you explain the right of prores for the existence, when you can record with lossless compressors to your laptop via HDMI input?
    Clearly hard to understand if you are only a capper/ripper. But for content creators, unless shooting with a consumer cam like a gopro or a DSLR, AVCHD is rarely used. For example, Ninjas record in either ProRes or DNxHD. And if in intermediate codec is insufficient (there are others), producers shoot raw, not lossless. Two different worlds.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post

Please feel free to share your opinion
    Imagine instead of AVCHD he used H.264 encoded something like that:
    --crf 15 --tune grain --keyint 60
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E92jDQpou4Q

I prefer DNxHD
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I can't unhderstand why some people still don't have Stears555 on their ignore list. He keeps proving that falling for halfwit trolling topics is too easy. Comparing apples with oranges to provoke just another flame war.
    Quote Quote