VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker or buy a VSO converter software :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The guy who wrote this utility either has an extreme sense of humour or does not realise the other accepted use of the word.

So. How does a c*t fart ?. Very loudly it appears
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    Originally Posted by marcorocchini View Post
    ahn okok

thanks
    Hey cat...U been drinking again??

[Attachment 41030 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 41033 - Click to enlarge]

Jan 2003
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a little confused about what's going on here, if I'm honest. It looks a bit like you're trying to reinvent the wheel for some reason.

If you're using AviSynth, would I be right in assuming you're also using Windows? Therefore I don't quite get why you need to use some kind of Unix-originated (possibly designed-for-MSDOS) commandline text editing utility of a type that would have been considered rather primitive 25 years ago. Unless you've got a few dozen of these scripts to process all at once, repeatedly, at speed, maybe with several instances of the $THING_TO_BE_CHANGED in them each, can't you just toss the .AVS into Notepad, then either do it by hand or use its integrated Find (and/or Find-and-Replace) function to do the job, then save the file back out (either overwriting, or as a whole new item)?

Also, what's the dealio with all the colourspace conversions? I'm not sure I ever bothered with them at any point, ever, other than maybe making an occasional check that the source and/or re-encoded MPG streams were at least vaguely compliant and so weren't going to regularly send some overly fussy display at the other end into terminal spasm. Bearing in mind that superblack/superwhite doesn't really matter for any kind of digital video transmission (because the sync goes separately anyway), nor indeed for VGA or RGB-SCART (likewise), but only for Composite, SVideo and Component YCrCb (and, most relevantly, RF), as they're the standards which rely on in-band luminance-level based synchronisation and brightness peaking calibration. And, heck, even then the affected device would probably be quite old in order to not have "flywheel" based sync/colour/peaking (ie it locks a PLL to the incoming synchs within a few dozen lines, and resets an otherwise automatically running line counter (and odd/even field flipflop) at the first Vblank, then deals with the whole business of constructing the lines and fields all by itself, only looking for sync pulses once far enough into the respective blanking periods that there shouldn't be any "signal" output on the line any more, but the sync pulse proper won't have started yet, simply to confirm that its clocks are still in step with the supplied signal and taking steps to correct them if not.

But anyway, that aside, if you think your input video is in the wrong state for the intended output, and it's both starting as a particular colour space and needs to be changed into a particular different one, then you only need to make one conversion. 601 to 701, or the other way around. Changing from one to the other then back again is a bit strange, as you're just back where you started from. Either you've squeezed the levels and then expanded them back out, or expanded and then re-squeezed, with all kinds of possible quantisation, banding, and level cropping problems.

Really if you're super bothered that it might upset an ancient TV somewhere, and there's not likely to be any parts where clamping the very brightest greys and whites to 239 instead of 240~255, and the very darkest greys and blacks to 16 instead of 0~15 is unlikely to cause a large and overly noticeable loss of shadow/highlight detail, I'm pretty certain AviSynth has a pretty simple filter that will do exactly that, doesn't it? IDK the exact command but it shouldn't take too much browsing of the HTML guide to find it. So you'll have your original video with slightly greater apparent contrast, a tiny loss of detail in the brightest and darkest areas, and nothing in the signal that's likely to cause spurious triggering of the synch or calibration circuits.

...and if you've got a TV standard file that you're going to show on a computer... don't bother doing anything to it. Unless black appearing as 16 instead of 0, and white as 239 instead of 255 really really bugs you. In which case just turn the contrast up some (to, like, +16?) using the player's video EQ controls (if it doesn't have any, change your player), and get on with your life

mew.
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by EddyH View Post
    I'm a little confused about what's going on here, if I'm honest. It looks a bit like you're trying to reinvent the wheel for some reason.
    Marco always going to target in a most complicated way.

Originally Posted by EddyH View Post
    ...and if you've got a TV standard file that you're going to show on a computer... don't bother doing anything to it. Unless black appearing as 16 instead of 0, and white as 239 instead of 255 really really bugs you. In which case just turn the contrast up some (to, like, +16?) using the player's video EQ controls (if it doesn't have any, change your player), and get on with your life

mew.
    235 is 100% luminance (i.e. white) not 239.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by EddyH View Post
    I'm a little confused about what's going on here.........................

mew.
    Sorry. I just farted.
    Quote Quote  
  7. EddyH
    He is just doing his woodoo of some sort because of his editing software, for whatever reason he uses it. I would not look for a sense here. Cat's got to do what cat's got to do.
    Quote Quote