VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Haven't been able to find if this is possible so going to be trying this due to lack of both a desktop PC to install a firewire card in and no computers with either a Thunderbolt 1/2 or firewire port. I have all the cables / adapters on order and should be here for this weekend to test it out. The daisy chain of cables / adapters consist of Apple Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter, Apple Thunderbolt 2 -> Firewire 800 adapter, then a firewire cable that goes from 9-pin -> 4-pin to plug into my camcorder.

For those not familiar, Thunderbolt 3 shares the same port as USB-C if the computer has the underlying hardware for thunderbolt compatibility.

Has anyone else tried this with either a success or failure?
    Last edited by Wildman923; 19th Mar 2017 at 21:46.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Don't know about thiderbolt 3, but previously, your chain had to be:
    Thunderbolt -> Firewire 800 adapter, FW 800-> FW400, then a firewire cable that goes from 9-pin -> 4-pin to plug into my camcorder.

If it doesn't work now it may be because the whole chain is incompatible, or because you are missing that piece.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was under the impression that FW 800 was backwards compatible with FW 400 when it comes to the physical connections. I'm planning on using a cable like this to bridge from the FW800 port on the adapter to my camcorder:

[Attachment 40972 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-03-17-12-02-04.png
Views:	226
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	40971  

Last edited by Wildman923; 18th Mar 2017 at 08:32.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's backwards compatible for things like hard drives. Camera control has always required that extra step. On a Mac, it's the ONLY combination that works.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    GREAT info. I'm on a Win 10 PC so guess I'll see how it goes. If it doesn't then will try out the adapter/cable combo.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The chain of adapters is actually successful. I did have to play around with my Thunderbolt settings to get the computer to recognize and allow use of the Apple thunderbolt to firewire adapter (the thunderbolt 3->2 adapter appears to be pass through as far as Windows is concerned). With regular DV recordings I had to use scenalizer for capture, with HDV recordings HDV split did the job.

Both programs had full camera control.
    Quote Quote  
  7. That's great news. Thank you for passing it along.

One clarification please, are you saying your chain did not require the fw400-800 adapter?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    used the 9-pin to 4-pin firewire cable. I also had to use the 1394 legacy drivers for windows
    Quote Quote