VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. for testing the effect I took a synch avi(xvid,mp3) file and remuxed it using:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -y -itsoffset 00:00:10.000 -i "test.avi" -i "test.mp3" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -map 0:0 -map 1:0 -vtag XVID -aspect 181818:100000 -r 25 -f avi "test1.avi"
    -> Audio starts 10sec before video (this is like I expected)
    Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i "test.avi"  -itsoffset -00:00:10.000 -i "test.mp3" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -map 0:0 -map 1:0 -vtag XVID -aspect 181818:100000 -r 25 -f avi "test3.avi"
    -> Audio starts 10sec before video (this is like I expected)
    Code:
    ffmpeg -y -itsoffset -00:00:10.000 -i "test.avi" -i "test.mp3" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -map 0:0 -map 1:0 -vtag XVID -aspect 181818:100000 -r 25 -f avi "test2.avi"
    -> Audio and video start at the same time (I expected that the video would start before the audio)
    Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i "test.avi"  -itsoffset 00:00:10.000 -i "test.mp3" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -map 0:0 -map 1:0 -vtag XVID -aspect 181818:100000 -r 25 -f avi "test4.avi"
    -> Audio and video start at the same time (I expected that the video would start before the audio)

=> How to handle negative audio delays with ffmpeg?

Also all of these calls give me:
    [avi @ 000001f1b4b8e280] Timestamps are unset in a packet for stream 0. This is deprecated and will stop working in the future. Fix your code to set the timestamps properly
    => How to do it properly to avoid this warning and be save for the future?

Thanks.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  2. I believe the problem is the AVI container. You have to re-encode the audio and fill it with actual silence (or do a complicated extra step of attaching 10 mp3 seconds before - probably easier with something like delaycut).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Other tools can handle this properly (for example mencoder, avi-mux gui, virtual dub,...) so I doubt it's a general problem of the .avi container.
    Quote Quote  
  4. IIRC:
    VirtualDub creates kinda "b0rked" data to prepend
    Avi Mux GUI inserts actual silence
    don't know about mencoder
    Quote Quote  
  5. So your guess is ffmpeg simply can't do what I want?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Not without re-encoding, yes. That said, ffmpeg can do so many things, often badly or not documented at all, that I would not 100% rule it out.

You could do something crazy like keep a silence.wav or sth. and encode it to the delay length (with identical parameters) and prepend it in an extra step. Or let ffmpeg create it on-the-fly: https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#anullsrc
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okay thanks.
    Trying not to reencode the streams. Hope someone knows a 'trick' to get this working with ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote