VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried DVDstyler, Cyberlink's Power Producer, and DVD Architect....

ALL seem to have the same video authoring quality. Not horrible if you are using an upscaling DVD player but nothing compared to off the shelf DVD's from the store or red box.

Does anyone know of superior authoring software?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by jimfarn916 View Post
    I have tried DVDstyler, Cyberlink's Power Producer, and DVD Architect....

ALL seem to have the same video authoring quality. Not horrible if you are using an upscaling DVD player but nothing compared to off the shelf DVD's from the store or red box.

Authoring doesn't affect the video quality;

Or were you referring to authoring features ? What specifically - can you be more descriptive or give examples
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was referring to the video quality when you burn the mpeg files to a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It is two things , encoding and DVD authoring.

Commercial DVD'a are made like that, separately encoded and authored. But DVD authorings do it also as all-in-one, they encode and author. But they do not have to, you can feed DVD Authoring with ready mpeg DVD compliant video and audio streams and DVD Authoring just "assembles" it, authors it to DVD.

Commercial DVD's are made differently - video source matters, how it was shot, no frame rates changes, no re-sampling changes, single layers vs. dual layer that corresponds how much room there is on DVD, type of resizing, or just encoding is a subject on its own, commercial DVD's could be encoded with the best there is and even approaching different scenes differently.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jimfarn916 View Post
    Muxman.

But you're not actually asking about authoring, but about encoding. So maybe tell us what you're using to encode. The encoders included in the programs you mentioned? And what exactly are your sources? Your home made movies? Maybe, if you want some advice on how to encode properly, include some samples of your sources and the output you're not satisfied with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jimfarn916 View Post
    You get the exact same MPE2 video quality as your original MPE2 video file after "authoring" to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by jimfarn916 View Post
    You get the exact same MPE2 video quality as your original MPE2 video file after "authoring" to DVD.
    Not necessarily true. Some authoring packages will reencode if they "think" your video and audio assets are not compliant. This is why I have always used DVDLab, as it will not reencode anything. I think Muxman is like this too
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, muxman cannot re-encode. In the past I used either HCEnc or CCE to encode and muxman to author. Both are excellent MPEG2 encoders (but there are other opinions). If the quality is bad then the source is bad or you're trying to encode too many hours.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    Not necessarily true. Some authoring packages will reencode if they "think" your video and audio assets are not compliant. This is why I have always used DVDLab, as it will not reencode anything. I think Muxman is like this too
    I only use TDA....it will only re-encode audio....if you allow it.
    Quote Quote