VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there anyone here who uses Handbrake to rip Bluray movies, using the Super HQ 1080p30 preset? If so, what CPU are you using, and how how long does it take you to rip a Bluray in Handbrake? I'm particularly interested in the results from people with Skylake or Kaby Lake processors (particularly, the 6600k and 6700k).

On an old 2500k, it takes something like 10 hours, plus a couple hours to rip extras, which is crazy long. I'm wondering how much upgrading to a modern CPU will reduce my rip time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use VidCoder for my BD>MKV(H.264,AC3) conversions. With my PC specs, it takes about 2 hours most times.
    VidCoder uses the Handbrake engine.

I first rip the BD to a hard drive, and encode from there. That takes about 30 - 40 minutes using AnyDVD HD. Too much wear on a BD drive for even a two hour direct encode from disc. For DVDs, I do a direct encode from the disc, about 15 minutes to MKV, settings as above.

In VidCoder, I use Detelecine default. I add AC3 passthrough or conversion if needed, and use a CQ setting of18, Constant framerate, everything else, default. Looks good to me on my projection screen.
    Quote Quote  
  3. My settings also use a CQ setting of 18. What CPU do you have?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ripping and encoding(from the disc) or just encoding from the HDD?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My CPU info is in my 'Computer Details'.

W7 Home Premium 64Bit OS
    AMD FX-8350 8 Core CPU 4.2Ghz
    1600MB G. Skill DDR3 1866 RAM
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 MB
    Nvidia GeForce GT610 Graphics

Corsair H50 Hydro CPU cooler

1 X 250GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO Boot Drive
    4 X 1500GB Western Digital SATA VI Data Drives
    Quote Quote  
  6. To give you an idea of x264 performance of modern vs old CPUs (if you click on the image it will lead to x265 benchmarks as well, the new CPUs are much better there):

(i5-2500K is about 20% slower for video encoding than the i7-2600K)

So right now Ryzen seems to be a good choice when it comes to (x264) bang/buck.

About your HandBrake preset: try the "HQ 720p30" preset. It will be a faster but you probably won't notice much of a difference in video quality. If you think quality is too low you can still adjust the "RF" slider in the "video" tab a bit. Basically: lower resolution and faster encoder preset will make things faster but if you adjust the RF slider you can get about the same quality though with a bigger file size. (Most sources don't have 1080p of details anyways.)

The compression different between presets is not that extreme (dark blue line is x264):
    Last edited by sneaker; 12th Mar 2017 at 05:45.
    Quote Quote