VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Capture Video

My setup is a..
    VCR: Panasonic PV-S7670 SVHS
    Capture Device: Diamond VC500 (using S-Video)
    Capture Software: AmaRecTV
    Capture Codec: PICVideo MJPEG 3.0

Yes, I use Elmo for my test captures whenever I am trying something new. I find that the best because of all of the colors. I am still pretty new to this and would like to contiunously get better. Please let me know how I can make my captures better. I don't like the blurriness of the bottom. How do I remove something like that?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Are you talking about the head-switch noise at the bottom of the image? That's normal for most videotape captures. It's an artifact that nobody saw on old tube TVs because it was hidden in the overscan area. You can crop it or cover it with black and render.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Horizontal time base jitter, oversharpening halos, block artifacts and DCT ringing from MJPEG compression, blown out brights, illegal colors. Converting MJPEG full range YUV to normal limited range YUV helps. You should adjust the capture devices proc amp to get levels closer. Use an old DVD recorder with line TBC in passthrough mode to reduce the horizontal time base jitter. Turn off (or reduce) the VCR's sharpening filter to reduce oversharpening halos.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Can I jump in and ask if it's always better to adjust the device's proc amp values rather than adjusting after capturing with default values? I use a Hauppauge USB Live2 and AmarecTV and am getting better results since capturing at default values, checking the values using the line "Crop(8,8,-8,-8).ColorYUV(Analyze=True).histogram("classic")" line in my avisynth scripts and tweaking accordingly using the Tweak() function. (The crop command is to reduce the effect of the black borders that I always get with the USB Live2) I thought I'd read somewhere that a lot of the lower end capture devices capture at the default values anyway and then adjust in software, so if you're going to adjust anyway . . . ? Is your answer the same for adjusting sharpening in the capture device's proc amp?
    Last edited by TimA-C; 12th Mar 2017 at 14:03. Reason: Correcting name of capture device
    Quote Quote