VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Just got a 5-disc DVD collection of John Denver from the 70's - "Around The World Live". There's artifacting of many, many vertical lines - like hundreds across the width of the image. Is this the result of a conversion issue from whatever the original tape format was?

The packaging gives the impression they meant to give this the royal treatment - I'm surprised the video has this glaring issue.
    Last edited by brassplyer; 10th Mar 2017 at 19:24.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you provide a 15 - 20 second sample ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    All it would do is demonstrate exactly what I'm describing. The phenomenon I'm talking about is glaringly obvious. My experience in here is that "Post a sample" rarely if ever results in a better answer. Anyone who's familiar with this will know what I'm talking about. If you don't know the answer from my description you don't know the answer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
    Anyone who's familiar with this will know what I'm talking about. If you don't know the answer from my description you don't know the answer.
    And you shouldn't even have to be asked to provide a sample but should have provided one with your first post. No one will guess at the problem so good luck in solving it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
    All it would do is demonstrate exactly what I'm describing.
    Yes, that's the point. Otherwise folks are guessing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
    All it would do is demonstrate exactly what I'm describing. The phenomenon I'm talking about is glaringly obvious. My experience in here is that "Post a sample" rarely if ever results in a better answer. Anyone who's familiar with this will know what I'm talking about. If you don't know the answer from my description you don't know the answer.
    I normally don't comment on posts like this, but coming from a long time member like yourself, who (like me) has had far more questions answered, than answers posted, this is the most rude, disrepectful and unappreciative post I've ever seen on any forum.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
    The packaging gives the impression they meant to give this the royal treatment - I'm surprised the video has this glaring issue.
    Book/cover.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    I normally don't comment on posts like this, but coming from a long time member like yourself, who (like me) has had far more questions answered, than answers posted, this is the most rude, disrepectful and unappreciative post I've ever seen on any forum.
    Sorry you perceive it that way. I stand by my response which is just honesty. If someone said "hey what causes these horizontal lines in moving parts of video on the web?" anyone who's familiar with deinterlacing is going to know it's video that wasn't deinterlaced. If someone has to ask to see this, any response they're going to give even after seeing it is going to be a guess - or an "I dunno". I've spent too much time going through the drill of creating such examples only to have it not net any particularly helpful info as a result.

I'm telling you, what I've described is clear. Imagine a couple of hundred or so evenly spaced, light vertical lines - that's what it looks like. The person who's going to know the answer is going to be someone familiar with processing pro video from that era - in this case shot overseas and issues that can arise. It's possible no one here fits that description.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's the one. It says Region 2 but plays in my LG Blu-Ray player.

-----

Edit: The listing says Region 2 but I looked at the packaging, I don't see where a region is indicated anywhere. The only playback spec I see is NTSC English 4:3. Then again looking at other DVD's I'm not finding a region label either.
    Last edited by brassplyer; 11th Mar 2017 at 08:15.
    Quote Quote  
  10. delete
    Last edited by teodz1984; 11th Mar 2017 at 11:09.
    Quote Quote  
  11. In the first post he said the stripes are vertical, not horizontal.

Just got a 5-disc DVD collection of John Denver from the 70's - "Around The World Live". There's artifacting of many, many vertical lines - like hundreds across the width of the image.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This title was released in an NTSC version too: https://www.amazon.com/Around-World-Live-John-Denver/dp/B002N7W3N0

It should be possible figure out if its PAL or NTSC from the resolution. A long-time member of this forum ought to know how to determine that.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Is this the result of a conversion issue from whatever the original tape format was?
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    It should be possible figure out if its PAL or NTSC from the resolution. A long-time member of this forum ought to know how to determine that.
    I determined it by looking at where it says NTSC on the box.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Are you getting the vertical lines when playing the physical DVD in a standalone player, or is it after you've ripped the DVD to your computer and are playing it using a software player?

Just because the box says NTSC doesn't mean the actual media inside the box really is NTSC.

And yes, asking for a sample of the offending video is a perfectly reasonable request, and yes, your response to that request was very rude and disrespectful. Sample videos are, in fact, quite often useful for users who are helping other users. If you can't be bothered to expend that little bit of effort to provide a sample when asked for it, don't expect others to expend much effort to help you solve your problem.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote