VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. Ok, eventually, I had to ask the question. So here I am asking.

Are there any mini-pc's, or else small (tiny) desktops that:

have pci and/or pci-e ports for inserting capture cards to?
    or, could have pci/pci-e through some dongle wire or flat cable?
    or else, as small (fanless?) desktop with pci/pci-e prefereably 2 of each.

I would like to have one w/out fans and ups power if possible. This is to serve as an analog-capture-only system.

My reasons are for ruling out any line noise, which in my case, has been related to fans and EMI for many years. I am still researching alternatives for my analog captures. So far, the only best way is through usb dongles, but I am not satisfied with the one's have tested and want to try going back to old PCI/PCI-e way if possible, and make a final determination which is best.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    Hi. Ok, eventually, I had to ask the question. So here I am asking.

Are there any mini-pc's, or else small (tiny) desktops that:

have pci and/or pci-e ports for inserting capture cards to?
    or, could have pci/pci-e through some dongle wire or flat cable?
    or else, as small (fanless?) desktop with pci/pci-e prefereably 2 of each.

I would like to have one w/out fans and ups power if possible. This is to serve as an analog-capture-only system.

My reasons are for ruling out any line noise, which in my case, has been related to fans and EMI for many years. I am still researching alternatives for my analog captures. So far, the only best way is through usb dongles, but I am not satisfied with the one's have tested and want to try going back to old PCI/PCI-e way if possible, and make a final determination which is best.
    Mini-PCs similar to an Intel NUC and very small desktops (Mini-STX motherboard) won't have any of the expansion slots that you want. Small desktops (Mini-ITX motherboard) will only give you one of the expansion slots that you want, a PCi-e x16. These are the only options for which a laptop-type power brick is likely to be workable.

A MATX motherboard = medium-sized desktop, is the smallest option available that would have 2 PCI and 2 PCI-e expansion slots on the motherboard. You will probably need a conventional PSU rather than a power brick for such a PC, although some very high efficiency fanless PSUs (expensive!) do exist. You will need to build your own computer to get what you want.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Mar 2017 at 16:36. Reason: grammar
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok. i just saw this. scroll down to where you see the gif of how they connect a pci card. i wonder if they are others like it or at least can (the pci) be rigged similar.

but i don't know if it comes with an OS. I would prefer xp or 7 for pci cards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEISER-MINI-PC-FSC-S550-MIT-40GB-IDE-HDD-1GB-RAM-2x-RS-232-PCI...-/311818464378
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most Shuttle Mini PCs have PCI-E x16 and PCI-E x4 slots.

http://global.shuttle.com/main/productsList?categoryId=19
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @vhelp Researching jury-rigged solutions is just too much work for me. I'm done making PC suggestions until such time as you decide that you need a desktop PC.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    ok. i just saw this. scroll down to where you see the gif of how they connect a pci card. i wonder if they are others like it or at least can (the pci) be rigged similar.

but i don't know if it comes with an OS. I would prefer xp or 7 for pci cards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEISER-MINI-PC-FSC-S550-MIT-40GB-IDE-HDD-1GB-RAM-2x-RS-232-PCI...-/311818464378
    Did you ask the seller if it comes with an OS ??
    If not, look up on how to run windows xp off of a usb flash drive
    Last edited by october262; 10th Mar 2017 at 17:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @october262, no, i have not asked. i was just showing one example of a mini w/ pci. it surprised me when i found it after many searches. thanks.

no problem usually_quiet, and thanks for the hard work and research you've put into many/all of my inquiries, much appreciated. and i have also been searching small desktop pc's, with at least a pci and pci-e though they have fans, i guess i just have to expect it as a necessary feature.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, it is possible to build a completely fanless desktop, but not cheaply. When I was looking for a case for my HTPC, I saw several fanless cases from Streacom at specialty websites. They make specialized chassis, power supplies and CPU heat exchangers for building silent PCs with no fans. This is one example http://www.quietpcusa.com/Streacom-FC10-ALPHA-HTPC-Chassis.aspx ...and here is another: http://www.quietpcusa.com/Streacom-FC9-ALPHA-HTPC-Chassis.aspx

Needless to say, I bought something far less expensive with fans.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Mar 2017 at 21:09.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Keep in mind there's a reason why certain hardware configurations are hard to find. Namely, they don't work well or are difficult to configure (as you've found with your Expresscard to PCI experiment). In addition, Riser cards (and any connection not directly on the MB) usually show a performance hit.

Better to work with known good components and configurations than ones that fill a tiny niche.

it may be possible to use water cooling instead of fans (probably not in a slim PC case, but likely doable in an ITX case) and there are fanless (though expensive) PSUs. I believe if you get a highly energy efficient PSU that's rated way more (e.g. 600W+) than you need, the fan may never kick in.

As your your issues with EMI, if you use quality, properly shielded components, EMI shouldn't be a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The only times I have encountered excessive "line noise" has been in cases of a building wiring fault, nearby heavy electrical equipment, faulty motors in home appliances, defective hard drive, or the case is open or does not seal or close tightly. The effort expended to use a laptop or fanless PC to do something they are clearly not intended for strikes me as a total waste of time and an exaggerated snipe hunt or red herring.

The correct tool for the job you are trying to do is a decent desktop with a tight case and good components. I still have my old XP pc with AGP ATI card plus SoundBlaster setup that can capture near HD quality, anamorphic widescreen, subtitles, 5-channel surround sound, with real-time IVTC that I haven't used in several years. Make you a deal.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The OP has a problem with his electrical system that he can't / won't resolve - detailed here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/381982-monitor-blanks-out-when-refrigerator-kicks-in#post2473490
    Quote Quote