VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Gang, need some help. My Windows XP SP2 laptop is not recognizing much less open these newer 4 and 5GB external hard drives. Is there a way around this issue?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DVWannaB View Post
    Gang, need some help. My Windows XP SP2 laptop is not recognizing much less open these newer 4 and 5GB external hard drives. Is there a way around this issue?
    5GB? Don't you mean 5TB? HDDs with capacities exceeding 2.2 TB require GPT formatting, if they are not partitioned into MBR-formatted volumes below the 2.2 TB limit, but Windows XP doesn't support GPT formatted drives.

One suggestion I've seen is to run Linux from a CD or DVD and use it to copy files.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OK thanks. Appreciate that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you absolutely must stay on XP then it might be worth the $20 to get Paragon GPT Loader.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Not gonna work for the OP.

From the link you posted:

"Note! The current version of Paragon GPT Loader cannot help you to accommodate Windows OS on a 2.2TB+ drive. Its main purpose is to provide access to 2.2TB+ drives connected internally as a secondary device under Windows XP. Only internally connected single 2.2TB+ drives are supported, not external storages, or those combined into RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks)."
    Quote Quote  
  6. Go with newer Windows
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Of course anyone can suggest that the OP upgrades his Windoze - go to Win7, for example, = problem solved.

But the OP is looking for a solution under XP if one should exist.

Now I do not know if this is possible but it is worth a mention. Boot from the CD and select a new install. Select the external drive(which may be reported as 'raw' and partition it with no partition greater than 2TB. Format one partition and then cancel the installation.

Reboot in to XP as normal and see if the disk is now seen. If it can be seem then Disk Management will allow you to format the other partition.

The method will probably fail if XP can not boot from an external drive. But hey. it is still worth trying since right now the drive is useless.
    Quote Quote  
  8. there is no solution for xp...
    case closed
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get a 4TB or 5TB external Western Digital drive. Western Digital's firmware make these drives work with Windows XP. But you must never format or partition the drive because it will break the XP compatibility. I don't think there is a way to restore the special formatting/partitioning needed for XP compatibility. They come with 1 full capacity pre-formatted NTFS partition. Only WD external drives work with XP, WD internal drives will not work.

I use external 4TB WD drives with XP sp2 and sp3 machines and never had any compatibility issues.
    Last edited by Vidd; 8th Mar 2017 at 09:29.
    Quote Quote