VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Orsetto is voice of sanity, although somewhat garrulous, in this otherwise TBC obsessed sub. I posted a comparison a while back of a couple of different cards only to be mocked over and over for the lack of a TBC.

I too have watched endless hours of home video and never once have I come away thinking that the video needed a TBC. Have I thought that the edges needed cleaning up? Sort of. Have I thought that the saturation needed boosting or a LUT? Absolutely. Watching home video is getting tougher and tougher as our eyes become accustomed to 4K HDR which will only get worse as we move to 8K. And since most home video is so plagued by handheld unsteadiness, the lack of a $300 TBC is the least of the worries.

Are there tapes so bad that the only solution is a TBC? Sure, but most of those are 25 y.o. dubs of dubs of antenna recordings that probably should be tossed anyway.

But otherwise, can someone avoid spending $300 on a TBC and still be pleased with the results? Absolutely. If not, recognize that is a preference, not a fact.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Some people harbor higher standards. Some don't. To each his own.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just as a point of reference, the main reason that DVD recorders often have some degree of frame sync or TBC(ish) is to help those that don't know any better. The "I don't need TBC" crowd especially. Because you do. Always. Digital capture is not possible without some correction. At best, you'll drop tons of frames with zero correction, often with audio skew as a result. At worst, it will refuse to work.

You see poor quality all over Youtube and videotape torrents. And it's always swiftly pointed out to look/sound awful. People with crappy homemade quality have been called to the carpet since the newsgroup days, and rightfully so. Only a minority put up with low quality. Collector groups will often ban crappy sharers. They have nothing to add to the group.

If you want to ruin video for yourself only, fine.
    But if anybody else will ever see it, quit being cheap/lazy.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you still not have a for sale section here? lol. I have some decent equipment I might be willing to part with.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Just as a point of reference, the main reason that DVD recorders often have some degree of frame sync or TBC(ish) is to help those that don't know any better. The "I don't need TBC" crowd especially. Because you do. Always. Digital capture is not possible without some correction. At best, you'll drop tons of frames with zero correction, often with audio skew as a result. At worst, it will refuse to work.

You see poor quality all over Youtube and videotape torrents. And it's always swiftly pointed out to look/sound awful. People with crappy homemade quality have been called to the carpet since the newsgroup days, and rightfully so. Only a minority put up with low quality. Collector groups will often ban crappy sharers. They have nothing to add to the group.

If you want to ruin video for yourself only, fine.
    But if anybody else will ever see it, quit being cheap/lazy.
    Lordsmurf, I think you made good points in your posts, Few years back I captured my family VHS and VHS-C tapes using a DV capture device and a cheapo VHS player and I thought I over-killed it, Until I start reading your advice here in this forum as well as other forums, I started learning about capturing and the hardware involved in it, Then I decided to dive in. Using your hardware suggestion list from your website I acquired a decent quality S-VHS deck with TBC, an old Pinnacle USB capture device and started capturing losselss, Man what I was missing, the quality of the new captures looked a lot better than before, It was worth spending $250 on a new VCR, What would have happened if I didn't save the tapes, And yes I still got them, Juuuust in case.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Perhaps you can post some comparisons of the same tape through your old workflow and the new one, to demo for other people wondering whether a good setup is worth their money?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Perhaps you can post some comparisons of the same tape through your old workflow and the new one, to demo for other people wondering whether a good setup is worth their money?
    I probably will, I just haven't gotten time to sit down and work on it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Lordsmurf, I think you made good points in your posts, Few years back I captured my family VHS and VHS-C tapes using a DV capture device and a cheapo VHS player and I thought I over-killed it, Until I start reading your advice here in this forum as well as other forums, I started learning about capturing and the hardware involved in it, Then I decided to dive in. Using your hardware suggestion list from your website I acquired a decent quality S-VHS deck with TBC, an old Pinnacle USB capture device and started capturing losselss, Man what I was missing, the quality of the new captures looked a lot better than before, It was worth spending $250 on a new VCR, What would have happened if I didn't save the tapes, And yes I still got them, Juuuust in case.
    Stories like this are why I continue to help others.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote