VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Currently I am editing home video using Adobe Premier Pro CC. I would like to create a DVD menu in PhotoShop. How do I map the buttons without using Encore? I need help through the entire process. Like, should the PhotoShop file be saved as a psd file? Feel free to direct me to links or other forums.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. And load it into Encore?
    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/encore/cs/using/WS2C3F3ABD-6457-4ca0-898F-720B7E3D0C10.html

new file and choose NTSC DV with aspect ratio, this way Encore would not resize later. This is a cool feature in Photoshop, you can copy images into that new file or create with proper aspect ratio already. Export PSD and create layers , mark them appropriately. It will take you a while to follow that procedure. You design image and buttons (authoring software does not differ between those anyway, it flattens buttons into background anyway), important is highlights , follow that manual

DVD Lab Pro has much more better approach also, based on importing BMP's , I vaguely remember I could not use that in Encore, I was going with PSD, but not 100% sure here. Using PSD format labeling Photoshop's layers appropriately and other fineness to define those menu things.
    Quote Quote  
  3. How you do it depends on what your DVD authoring software supports. Premiere is not authoring software, it is editing software. What authoring software are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm moving to our dvd authoring section.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am already lost. I'm currently traveling in an RV for the next year. I'm using a canon HD video camera and a Gopro 4 and Premier Pro CC. I currently have no authoring software. Does menu mapping have to be done in authoring software? I tried to install Encore 6 and it is not playing nicely with Windows 10. I will not be burning DVDs until I am done traveling, but would like to have everything ready.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rollman View Post
    Does menu mapping have to be done in authoring software?
    There is software that can be used to change/edit some parts of menus from a DVD that has already been authored, but actually creating functional menus without using authoring software would be difficult at best.

If you use advanced authoring features, maybe you will find the previously recommended DVDLabPro to be an adequate replacement for Encore.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. If DVD without a menu is ok, Premiere might have a feature to make a DVD for you. Not sure about audio, it might encode audio as PCM, not AC3. PCM takes more bitrate about 1500 as oppose AC3 about 192 or 224 etc. You have about 8000-9000 kbps for video so it will eat up bitrate for video but it might be ok.

Also you can export a large AVI file out of Premiere (lossless or uncompressed- gigantic file mind you) and using free DVD authoring like DVD Styler or AVStoDVD, they can create menu.

That are going to be even quality issues (flickering) if your Canon is interlaced camera, even if you shoot 60p with Gopro.

I'd just be exploring exports beyond DVD, time has come, like MP4 HD files 1920x1080 or 1280x720 with frame rates your cameras record.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to everyone who answered my questions. Obviously I have a lot learn. I will try the above mentioned DVDLabPro software.
    This forum has a wealth of information and i look forward to learning from the members.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Rollman View Post
    I am already lost. I'm currently traveling in an RV for the next year. I'm using a canon HD video camera and a Gopro 4 and Premier Pro CC. I currently have no authoring software. Does menu mapping have to be done in authoring software? I tried to install Encore 6 and it is not playing nicely with Windows 10. I will not be burning DVDs until I am done traveling, but would like to have everything ready.
    Thanks
    Encore works fine in Win 10, so there is probably an issue with your particular configuration. Hard to diagnose remotely. I'm a fan of AVStoDVD which_AI_ mentioned. If I were starting from scratch today, I would probably go with TMPGenc Authoring Works.
    Quote Quote