VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

Is there a simple software to cut videos without any quality loss? (Or very little)
    I just need to delete parts from videos that I don't need to save a LOT of hard drive space, I don't need to convert or reconvert, just delete some parts.

Thank you for reading this,
    Quote Quote  
  2. AviDemux, Solveigmm Video Splitter, mkvtoolnix, ffmpeg

If you do a forum search you might be able to find more suggestions. The question comes up quite often. Answer depends on needed accuracy (frame or keyframe) and the formats (not every software works equally well on every format, if at all).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What format are the video's? MKV, AVI, MPG, MP4 etc They all have different solutions.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You need a frame accurate software. I paid for SmartCutter it's worth every penny it even cuts m2ts (from BD-ROM) with 5 audio tracks and 3 subtitles and all play seamlessly with no sync issues, Also second choice is VideoRedo but no multi track or subtitles cutting.
    Quote Quote  
  5. (My computer is consumer-level, running Win 7 HP.)
    Trimming .mts video files could hardly be easier and quicker. I have
    agonized over SmartCutter, MPEG Streamclip, ArcSoft, Corel, Cyberlink,
    Free Video Editor, TSSplitter, Video to Video Converter, K-Lite Mega Pack,
    and others I can't remember, looking for a speedy way to cut out unwanted
    portions of large video files and quickly save the wanted parts. This means
    NO, or minimal, encoding. I just needed to "Save" the desired parts in the
    original capture format.

Years ago I tried and gave up on Avidemux as being too complicated and
    slow. In time, I have become a genius. OR, Avidemux authors have
    significantly improved the program. It also seems that contributors to many
    Forums have offered advise in a confusing manner. Whatever happened, I
    now use and recommend Avidemux to my neighbors and even my relatives.

For newbies to .mts trimming, here is a suggestion. (Except for the "Saving"
    process, it takes much longer for most people to read these instructions
    than it does to perform them.)

1. Install Avidemux.
    2. To avoid hypertension, do NOT open the program.
    Drag-n-Drop a COPY of an .mts file onto the Avidemux icon on your Desktop.
    (BTW, Avidemux does automatically make copies, but I am cautious.)
    3. Experiment without concern about the result. When the program window
    opens, move the slider to any spot on the timeline (or leave it at the start
    point). Don't think. Just DO!
    4. Near the bottom of the window, in the midst of blue buttons,
    you will see the letters A and B, with red behind them. Click on the A.
    You just created the start marker for the portion of the video
    which you will DELETE.
    5. Move the slider again to another point to the
    right of the start marker. Click on the letter B. Observe the (purple) box
    outline showing the portion that will be DELETED.
    6. Hit the Delete key on your keyboard. The result is immediate.
    7. Above the row of blue buttons,
    you will notice the words "Output Format". Click the down arrow and
    select "Mpeg TS Muxer (ff)". Do not wonder if that is the perfect choice.
    At this moment, you are experimenting and learning. Wonder later.
    8. Go toward the top of the window, and open the "File" menu.
    9. Select "Save".
    10. Choose your destination and new file name (eg. Desktop -->
    "test 1"). [Beneath the "File name" text box, you will notice the "Save as
    type" box says "ts files (*.ts)".]
    11. Click on the "Save" button.
    12. Say, "WOW!"

On my non-professional computer, it takes approx. 3 mins. and 15 secs. to
    save a 2-hour video. (That means, out of a 4-hour clip, I deleted 2 hours
    and saved the remaining 2 hrs.) The deletion operation was almost
    instantaneous.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Trimming .mts video files - follow-up 1.

Hunting for 'frame accuracy'? Avidemux instructs users to move the slider to an "I" frame.
    Simple stuff. Find the spot on the Timeline where you want to create a 'start marker'. Use the left-pointing single arrow
    near the bottom of the program window to back up to an "I" frame. (The bottom line in the program window has the words, "Frame type:".
    That is where you will see "P" or "I", or whatever.) That is where you click on the letter "A"
    to create your start marker. They say that your end marker does not need to be at an "I" frame to create a segment to delete,
    but I find one in order to hopefully be more accurate in eliminating all unwanted material.

Good hunting !
    Last edited by Not a programmer77; 1st Mar 2017 at 06:07. Reason: to add a detail for beginners
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    What format are the video's? MKV, AVI, MPG, MP4 etc They all have different solutions.
    Almost only .mp4 files, i searched a bit on the forums and found things like MP4Box, AviDemux, my MP4box GUI.

What software would you recommend ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Most users including myself cutting within a pocket of frames is not enough that's why frame accurate program is a must, I too used a lot of programs before I finally settled on SmartCutter, And if you have a problem go to the forum and the moderator answer your concern within 24 hrs, if the problem is on their side they will include a fix in the next update, They are really on top of it. And the program is only $49 for life, I used it for 7 years so far so it is like 23 cents a month.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Howdy! First, I had problems installing SmartMate (Trial version - this includes SmartCutter). I visited the Forum and discovered some angry
    comments from dissatisfied users, one of whom stated that SmartCutter development had been stopped, or paused. A Fame-Ring moderator
    did respond to that, saying their team was concentrating on Mac software, and that dealing with .ocx files presented an extra challenge (my
    words). That was enough for me. I do not want to devote my life to rewriting software, and searching dozens of tech forums for workarounds.
    I downloaded Avidemux, and purposely used it the first time (in recent history) without reading any instructions, to see if it were intuitive enough
    for me, a non-programmer. BINGO! It was. I used it successfully the first time, and every time since. And it's free! Maybe there is something amiss
    with my computer's Registry. Lots of people recommend SmartCutter. That's why I tried it.
    Secondly, regarding .mp4 files, I have been editing those for a long time, mostly using programs that re-encode the edited clip. I have not yet tried
    Avidemux with .mp4 because I have a new interest in .mts recordings, and I responded to this thread only to discuss .mts after seeing this question
    arise many, many times in many forums. I have noticed that Avidemux's Output Format includes options for "MP4V2 Muxer" and "MP4 Muxer" (ver2
    has an advantage but study that issue yourself). If you are preparing files for use on Blu-Ray players, be mindful that (some) players prefer or
    require certain flavors of H.264. I have a relatively expensive video editing and Blu-Ray authoring program that has options for AVCHD as well as
    H.264. They produce quite different results. I bought that program several years ago, so maybe today's programs and players have settled their
    differences and play better together.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Trimming .mts video files - follow-up 2.

The scenario: you allowed your recording device to run 6 hours. You want to keep the activity
    recorded during hours 1, 3, and 5.

In this example, we will first delete the unwanted portions. (See the original post.)
    In a few minutes, we have eliminated hours 2, 4, and 6 in Avidemux.

You can start saving hour 1 or 3 or 5. I'll start with hour 1.
    Place the slider at the left end of the timeline. Click on the "A" button, on an "I" frame.
    Move the slider to the end of that hour. You might prefer to again find an "I" frame, then click
    on the "B" button.

Do NOT hit the Delete key.

Select "Mpeg TS Muxer (ff)".
    Open the "File" menu.
    Select "Save", etc. (Destination & file name)

On my computer, the hour clip is 99% saved in only seconds. The program appears to stop
    responding, but half a minute or so later the saving process completes.

On to hour 3. Simply move the slider to the beginning of that hour, locating an "I" frame, and
    click on the "A" button. Locate an "I" frame at the end of that hour, click on "B",
    --> Mpeg TS Muxer (ff) --> File --> Save --> joy in Mudville.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Follow-up to the .mp4 question -->

Yes, Avidemux works the same way as with .mts files.
    Saving speed is quick when you choose the same output format as the original
    recording, so that no encoding is necessary. I used MP4V2 Muxer to save a 1.5GB cut-out
    portion of an .mp4 clip. Saving time was approx. 30 seconds.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Not a programmer77 View Post
    Follow-up to the .mp4 question -->

Yes, Avidemux works the same way as with .mts files.
    Saving speed is quick when you choose the same output format as the original
    recording, so that no encoding is necessary. I used MP4V2 Muxer to save a 1.5GB cut-out
    portion of an .mp4 clip. Saving time was approx. 30 seconds.
    thx, i will try it
    Quote Quote