VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello everyone

I would like to know if it's possible to convert .srt subtile to .sub without to much trouble, my main goals is to add it to a .mkv file and be able to select the position of some lines during the movie, ( top of the screen )

I learned how to use SubtitleEdit but as far as I know I'm not able to do so.

Thanks

Kalemvar1
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can't you make .ass/ssa subs with subtitle edit instead? I think you right click on the subtitle line if you want to change the position, etc. Save as .ass. Mux into to the mkv with mkvtoolnix. And see if your player support it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Switch the output format to ASS/SSA. That should give you options to set top/left/right/mid/bottom. Once you've done that you can export the sup and they should be in the right positions.

(srt doesn't have multiple positions so any export of that format can't contain that kind of information)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks guys, this work perfectly as I wanted
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    Switch the output format to ASS/SSA. That should give you options to set top/left/right/mid/bottom. Once you've done that you can export the sup and they should be in the right positions.

(srt doesn't have multiple positions so any export of that format can't contain that kind of information)
    Although I've never actually used the feature, .SRT does provide for positioning. This is from the Doom9 Forum:

I haven't seen this format fully documented, so I got it from the source code to the SubRip program:

The format has no header, and no footer. Each subtitle has four parts:

Line 1 is a sequential count of subtitles, starting with 1.

Line 2 is the start timecode, followed by the string " --> ", followed by the end timecode. Timecodes are in the format HH:MM:SS,MIL (hours, minutes, seconds, milliseconds). The end timecode can optionally be followed by display coordinates (example " X1:100 X2:600 Y1:050 Y2:100"). Without coordinates displayed, each line of the subtitle will be centered and the block will appear at the bottom of the screen.

Lines 3 onward are the text of the subtitle. New lines are indicated by new lines (i.e. there's no "\n" code). The only formatting accepted are the following:

<b>text</b>: put text in boldface
    <i>text</i>: put text in italics
    <u>text</u>: underline text
    <font color="#00ff00">text</font>: apply green color formatting to the text (you can use the font tag only to change color)

Tags can be combined (and should be nested properly). Note that the SubRip code appears to prefer whole-line formatting (no underlining just one word in the middle of a line).

Finally, successive subtitles are separated from each other by blank lines.

Here is an example of an SRT file:

Code:
    00:02:26,407 --> 00:02:31,356  X1:100 X2:100 Y1:100 Y2:100
    <font color="#00ff00">Detta handlar om min storebrors</font> 
    <b><i><u>kriminella beteende och foersvinnade.</u></i></b>

00:02:31,567 --> 00:02:37,164 
    Vi talar inte laengre om Wade. Det aer 
    som om han aldrig hade existerat.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote