VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Not sure if this has been asked, but, can anybody show me how to actually make a lower resolution video like 720x480 look like its been actually output to 1920x1080, I mean for example say you have a pc display and you lower the resolution from graphic card and you have 1024x768. Then you set the resolution to 2560x1440. On the 1024x768 example you see things bigger but you see less content. On the 2560x1440 things appear smaller but you see more of the content.

How does one mimic this in a software video player? Or any hardware scalers/converters? I'm trying to see if this can work with my nes, super nintendo, nintendo 64 and nintendo wii, or just in general for any video source that's at a low resolution. By the way I'm not worrying about quality, just want to see how to size everything approriately. Thanks for any good help.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1024x768.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	541.4 KB
ID:	40673  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2560x1440.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	40674  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you play a low(er) resolution video fullscreen, the media player is already scaling the content to match the screen resolution. Scaling video to fit the screen won't "make it look HD", it simply makes it fit the screen. I'm not sure what exactly you are asking or the intended use.

In any case, outside of the PC, the scaling can be performed by the player or via the display device (ie: TV). Aside for testing and setup, no other action is needed by the user.

The images above aren't a good example as the image doesn't appear to be scaled different. The lower resolution image appears to simply be the widescreen image cropped to fit (ie: the sides are cut off), otherwise there would be black bars top/bottom (that is an option in the wallpaper display settings).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, for some media players, they do not always by default scale content to match screen size/resolution. Not trying to match hd quality, just size and how things appear that way. The images above are screenshots take of the full screen of my laptop when laptop display was sized to 1024x768 and 2560x1440. If you notice the display differences like the you can see more in 2560x 1440 and icons appear smaller, i'm trying for that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The 1024x768 image can't be made to look like the 2560x1440 image because it doesn't have the addition content at the edges.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, what is the addition content at the edges?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Additional content at the edges

Click image for larger version

Name:	edges.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	40676
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i dont see what's really missing
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    The bottom image in the original post is wide screen 16:9. The top image is 4:3 and the original information of the 16:9 imag has content on both sides and top and bottom missing. It's just a screensaver pic, but....
    "I don't see what's really missing" ?????
    Gimme a break, people. It's just getting worse out there.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Screenshot picture not quite taken at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1024x768 has an aspect ratio of 4:3, 2560x1440 has an aspect ratio of 16:9.

If you play a 16:9 video on a 2560x1440 monitor you should see the entire picture. If you play back a 4:3 video on one though, then you're going to get black bars, there is no "more picture" for the monitor to display.

Your question doesn't make sense. It has nothing to do with SD or HD, and has everything to do with aspect ratio. You can tell a player to crop a 4:3 video to fill a 16:9 monitor but you can't tell it to invent picture that doesn't exist.

In MPC-HC it's "Pan and Scan"->"Zoom to widescreen", in VLC it's "video"->"crop"->"16:9" but you'll be LOSING information, not gaining it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Here's the problem: You want a picture that's this shape:

[Attachment 40678 - Click to enlarge]

and you want to fill a screen that's this shape:

[Attachment 40679 - Click to enlarge]

You can pillarbox the image:

[Attachment 40680 - Click to enlarge]

but the left and right edges are filled with black (or some other color) because there's no way for the computer to know what should be there. Can you even guess what the two words are?

Or you can stretch the image, distorting it so that everything looks "fat":

[Attachment 40681 - Click to enlarge]

Or you can zoom the edges, cutting off the top and bottom:

[Attachment 40682 - Click to enlarge]

Most players have all three as an option.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How about this?

http://www.kadao.dir.bg/directshow.htm

Please look at the KA TVcrop directshow filter
    Quote Quote  
  13. Just use the zoom function of your media player.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure if that's what i want to do.. In the pictures on that site, it didn't look like it was zoomed in.
    Quote Quote  
  15. It was obviously zoomed in. The left and right edges of the frame are gone.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Milardo View Post
    How about this?
    http://www.kadao.dir.bg/directshow.htm
    Please look at the KA TVcrop directshow filter
    Funny about the cropping before and after
    Note the text on top pic is gone
    while the supposed crop picture has the text "A news corporation channel" on the top...
    also the left and the right side are cropped out
    The 1st picture is the result after crop not the before crop source
    Quote Quote  
  17. Most software players can have options to full up the screen by changing the aspect ratio (resulting to a disproportionate picture (e.g. fatter people) or do a cropped zoom of the source... In the latter you will lose the info.. this can be seen when you have videos with hard subs ... and the test on the extreme left and right will be chopped off...
    Quote Quote  
  18. No duh, sherlock. There's simply no way to make a different aspect ratio without pillarboxing/letterboxing, distorting or cropping.
    Quote Quote  
  19. i agree on that
    Quote Quote  
  20. ts has no idea what he wants
    Quote Quote  
  21. Milardo - your first two pictures cannot serve as an example because those images were generated for particular screen resolution, look at that lava image , it was cut off or zoomed in for that 4:3 resolution. They were not converted or adjusted like you ask about, from one resolution to other. So if you have a particular video source, say 4:3, you cannot "change" it to 16:9 (or wise versa) without
    pillarboxing/letterboxing, distorting or cropping
    Quote Quote