VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a Panasonic DVD Video Recorder DMR-E80H, an Emerson DVD/VHS player and a Mitubishi TV. I want to be able to play home videos from my DVD/VHS player, see them on the TV and record the things I want on the DVD recorder. I have tried and I can't seem to get the right configuration. Every time I go online they keep telling me to hook it up a certain way but then I get NO picture on the tv from the tapes I am trying to record! Please help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have the tv set to video 1
    And what kind of tapes are you trying to record ?? Movie tapes
    Or ones that you recorded yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I am using home movies I recorded on vhs and small dvd's to record from, nothing copyright protected.

I can get the vhs/dvd player working to play on tv....but it's not the connections they say to record to the dvd-recorder. I'm not sure if I keep these connections and just add wires between the dvd recorder....the vhs/dvd player...and or the tv.... UGH
    Quote Quote  
  4. Simple:

VHS <--------> DVD Recorder <--------> TV

The cables are AV cables with yellow (composite video), red (right audio), and white (left audio) RCA connectors. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Audio-Video-Cable-feet/dp/B000V0DY7U/

In this configuration the DVD players must be turned on in order to watch VHS. Make sure the DVD recorder input it set the appropriate input (there may be more than one composite input on the DVD recorder, for example, front and back). And make sure the TV is set to the correct input (again, it may have more than one). You cannot record from DVD to VHS in this configuration.
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Feb 2017 at 17:28.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    input dvd r and output tv
    input dvdr and output vhs/dvd

does it matter what cables i use.....red/white/yellow......or grn/blue/red....s video...... as long as they are in the right spots?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am not familiar with the connections on your devices but this the basic arrangement - check your manuals for precise details (could be Line1 and Line2 instead of line-in and Line-out)

1. Connect the vcr to the dvd-recroder - line-out from vcr to line-in on the dvd-recorder.
    2. Connect the dvd-recorder to the tv - line-out from the dvd-recorder to line-in on the tv

Repeat steps for audio cables

the dvd-recorder then records from 'line-in'
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you everyone that tried to assist me. After 9 hours of frustration it is working. Thank you DB83 for dummying it down so the video illiterate could make it work! You are awesome! Thank you so much!
    Quote Quote