VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi esteemed listmates,

I have a video file in the .mp4 (compressed format).

I'd like to burn/create a DVD disc of that content watchable on a TV/Video player.

Which software (freeware preferably) have you found works best in these endeavors?

Ashampoo burns a video DVD from files in the format of VOB, IFO and BUP.

It also burns a DVD from a disc image of ISO, CUE/BIN and ASHDISC.

I thought about converting the .mp4 into on of the aforementioned formats using VLC Media Player's Convert feature but I did not see any of those formats listed in the drop down menu in VLC Media Player.

Perhaps, I need to first convert the .mp4 file into one of the Ashampoo formats?

If so, which software (freeware preferably) have you found works best in converting .mp4 files into a file format which can then be burned to a DVD disc format?

Thanks so much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you get the paid version of ashampoo, it will convert the MP4 files into the required VOB format. The free version is just burning software, so you have to already have the files converted and ready to burn.

ImgBurn is also just burning software, and it has a very simple interface without the nagging "suggestions" to upgrade to a paid version (since it doesn't have one). It's what I use for all my burns.

AVStoDVD and DVDStyler will convert the MP4 files to VOB and set up the DVD file structure. If you use AVStoDVD, use ImgBurn to burn the disc. If you use DVDStyler, it has its own burner built in.

Be careful if you go with DVDStyler. The standard installer will try to install all sorts of "extras", and you have to be diligent in de-selecting them all before installing. Or you can download the portable version, which isn't actually a portable version at all - it's just the installer without all the extras.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Hi videobruger,

Thank you so much for sharing those 2 software programs.

I intend to try them this weekend.

Much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi awgie,

Thank you ever so much for sharing all that software and especially your experience and warnings.

I'm finding more and more you have to be really careful about where you download software, watch it closely as you install it as everyone seems to be "offering" you all sorts of applications you may not want.

My goal is to try all your software suggestions (first making file copies of the original file(s) this weekend just to see which works best/easiest.

I'm very grateful to you for all your kind help.

Hope you can enjoy your weekend

[QUOTE=awgie;2478423]If you get the paid version of ashampoo, it will convert the MP4 files into the required VOB format. The free version is just burning software, so you have to
    already have the files converted and ready to burn.

<snip>
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If ANY software offers either Express Installation (or Fast or Quick or Simple etc) or Custom ALWAYS select Custom, then you get to decide what components you want. So you can normally deselect all the unwanted so called goodies...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi netmask56 - That's generally the way I try to proceeded but sometimes with software I have no experience with it will list all sorts of choices under Custom leaving me wondering - which do I need and which are "electives'? How does one proceed then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sadly there is no "prescriptive" answer to that as each one "offers" different choices. So you really have to develop a "nose' for sussing out what you don't need.. So an offer to make a particular search engine your default would be a no no. This is something you are going to have to learn with experience as every software package is different.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by eager to learn View Post
    Hi netmask56 - That's generally the way I try to proceeded but sometimes with software I have no experience with it will list all sorts of choices under Custom leaving me wondering - which do I need and which are "electives'? How does one proceed then?
    Generally there will be more than one screen with choices if it's trying to install "extra" software. The crapware (such as browser add-ons, search bars, registry scanners, etc.) you don't want is usually shown on the first page (or pages), and then often a list of different options for the actual software you want to install, and maybe an option to choose where you want to install it. Usually the list of different options for the software starts out as the default set that would have been installed if you hit "Express Install", so you can just leave that alone. It's the crapware page (or pages) that you have to pay closer attention to.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi netmask56 - That's generally the way I try to proceeded but sometimes with software I have no experience with it will list all sorts of choices under Custom leaving me wondering - which do I need and which are "electives'? How does one proceed then?
    Post a Screen Shot of an example you have encountered. Really your question is a bit like "how long is a piece of string" Every software package is different so a concrete example would be a help. As others have said don't use Express install as that will install everything. Typical things are search bars - beware of ASK search bar. Sometimes "Make such and such your search engine.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi awgie and helpful mates,

I tried installing AVSto DVD on my PC (running Windows 7 – 32 bit) hard drive.

But when I click on it I keep getting the error message – StrongVault Online Backup – The feature you are trying to use is on a network resources that is unavailable – Click OK to try again. Or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package “Setup_StrongVault.mie” in file box below – Use Source – C:\Program Files\StrongVault Online Backup\ - SetUp_StrongVault.msi – File not found

I have to open Windows Task Manager just to shut all that down.

I can’t seem to use AVSto DVD because of this online backup.

I uninstalled AVS to DVD and downloaded a new version and re-installed with the same results.

Can you pls. share how I can get AVS to DVD working?

Thanks so much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    StrongVault is not required for AVStoDVD to run, and is not included in the installation package. I just installed AVStoDVD on my computer, and it runs just fine, and I have nothing on my system resembling StrongVault. So if your system is trying to call that program, it sounds like you have issues that are unrelated to AVStoDVD, but the problem is affecting your ability to run it.

If you do a quick Google search for "StrongVault Online Backup", you will find that it is classified as "potentially unwanted software" (basically, it's a virus). It is likely that it was installed in conjunction with another program you have installed - and probably was installed in such a way that you didn't even know it was happening.

Do a search for "how to remove StrongVault Online Backup" to find out how to rid your system of this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi awgie,

Yikes!

Thaiks so much for deciphering that.

I'll try to find that badware and eliminate it.

Thank you again for all your kind help.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I watched this video re: removing StrongVault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2AwuxMuRgA

I followed its instructions and I did remove StrongVault folders in Safe Mode but when I re-booted in regular mode and I click on the shortcut icon to AVS to DVD to load that program StrongVault prompt keeps popping up.

I then uninstalled AVS to DVD using CcCeaner, checking for any registry issues) and re-installed AVS to DVD but that StrongVault won't be removed.

Anything else I could try? A magic wand, perhaps?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    First, uninstall AVStoDVD from your computer. Also delete the installation file you're using to install it, and be sure to remove any AVStoDVD folders from
    Program Files
    Program Files (x86)
    Program Data
    and from
    AppData\Local
    AppData\Local Low
    AppData\Roaming
    (AppData is a system folder in your personal folders, so if you can't see it, you'll have to enable viewing hidden files and possibly also protected system files in Explorer's view and search options)
    Also remove any AVStoDVD shortcuts that may have been left behind on your desktop or your Start Menu.
    Then, follow all of the steps on this page to completely remove StrongVault. StrongVault isn't technically a virus, but it's very invasive and hard to kill, so in my opinion it's just as bad. You should be able to use the free versions of each program (for HitmanPro, you'll have to "start your free trial" to remove the items it finds, so if it makes you give payment information, be sure to end your free trial before it charges you.)

Finally, download a fresh copy of AVStoDVD from the VideoHelp site and re-install it.

Once you have succeeded in completely removing StrongVault and re-installing AVStoDVD, you can go ahead and uninstall the 4 anti-malware programs you used to remove StrongVault, unless you choose to purchase the pro versions of either MalwareBytes or HitmanPro. I don't have the pro versions of either of them myself, but if you feel like you could use the added security, they're a small price to pay.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MalwareBytes (purchased version) is an excellent program for keeping nasties at bay. Best to download audio and editing programs from this site Videohelp.com to be safe...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi awgie,

Does anyone know which software contains StrongVault?

I watch very carefully when I install any software and if I have a choice I never install any software I don't know anything about.

I had run Malwarebutes (free) and it found nothing.

I had uninstalled AVS to DVD and then re-installed it but now I have downloaded a fresh version to a flash drive to reinstall at a later time.

I'll follow your directions as I hadn't know to look for StrongVault outside of the C:\Program Data file.

Thank you so much for sharing all this.

How can I avoid this in the future?

If software like this is bundled with software and you're never prompted to install it - how can one avoid this?

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    See if this post by Geefle can help. This uses an MS tool to fully uninstall Strongvault.
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-strongvalt-online-backup-popup-message.1076895/

If you are unable to find the fixit, I have a copy on my PC.

A second post uses the the msi (microsoft installer file) to remove it
    https://malwaretips.com/threads/strongvault-residue.13053/#post-97328

With regard to what software may have SV, it's impossible to say and is mostly irrelevant to your problem.
    You do appear to have it on your system, or it was uninstalled but not completely
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The best way to avoid having an issue like this in the future is to always download your software from trusted sites like VideoHelp.com. I try to avoid those sites (though it's not always possible) that have a bunch of big flashy "Download Now" buttons all over the page, while the actual download link for the software you're actually trying to get is much smaller and more subdued - sometimes only a simple text link. They're trying to trick you into downloading a bunch of crap you don't want or need. If you must download from such a site, be sure to examine the entire page very carefully before clicking on anything.

While there are occasionally downloads here that are bundled with extra software that you really don't need, the download pages make it pretty clear that you need to be extra careful during the installation process for those programs. Even some of the developers' websites have downloads that are bundled with crapware, while the related downloads here at VideoHelp aren't.

VideoHelp has pretty much any video or audio software you could possibly want, unless you're doing some very high-end professional editing, in which case you wouldn't have to worry about bundleware anyway, since you'd be purchasing rather expensive software directly from its own website.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hi awgie,

I try to visit "official" sites but sometimes there are none so I visit trusted sites like Priiform (sp) (CCleaner, Defraggler).

I was trying to apply so many DVD solutions as posted on forums and would test each download with all my antibadwre but found nothing.

Maybe, the next time I need to download software that's not "mainstream" (e.g. Libre Office, GIMP, etc.) I'll post here and ask if anyone has had any experience with that software.

You entioned you use the Hitman free.

Can you pls share the direct link to Hitman free?

https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us/hmp.aspx from the Malwarebytes page only connects to the Pro version.

I'll have to do this all off-lien so I can't connect when I'm doing this to register for a 30 day trial.

Thanks so much for all your great help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You entioned you use the Hitman free.

Can you pls share the direct link to Hitman free?

https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us/hmp.aspx from the Malwarebytes page only connects to the Pro version.
    Actually, what I said is that I don't use the Pro version. I didn't say I do use a free version, because I don't use any version at all. For all I know, there may only be the Pro version.

The page I pointed you to on malwaretips.com says that you have to start your 30 day trial in order to remove the items that HitmanPro finds. What I gather from that is that when you first install HitmanPro, it runs for free, and will detect items needing attention, but to actually take action against those items, you have to activate the software. I don't know if starting your trial means you have to enter payment information immediately to start your trial, and you only get charged in 30 days if you don't cancel (the old "AOL" method); or if it simply activates the software for 30 days and then de-activates it if you don't provide a paid registration key/serial number/etc. (like Vegas Movie Studio's "Demo" mode, that is fully functional for 30 days, but disables the software after that if you haven't provided a serial number). Since I've never had to use HitmanPro, I don't know which method it uses. If it requires you to be online to start your trial, you could do that, and then perform your actual scans and other stuff later when you're offline.

(And incidentally, Piriform is the official site for ccleaner and defraggler, so it is the best place to get them.)

(P.S. Since StrongVault is not "technically" a virus, it may not show up in a malware scan of the installer if it is bundled with another program. You just have to be especially vigilant when installing any software and watch for any "extras" that are being installed with it. Some installers make it more obvious when they are installing extras, while some installers make it much more difficult for you to choose not to install them - trying to sneak things past you. StrongVault undoubtedly falls into that second category.)
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hi awgie,

Thanks for the clarification.

So far, I've done this ..

First, I uninstalled AVStoDVD from my computer. I've also deleted the installation file used to install it as I to removes any AVStoDVD folders from

Program Files - found some
    Program Files (x86)
    Program Data - none found
    and from
    AppData\Local - - none found
    AppData\Local Low - none found
    AppData\Roaming - none found

I ran my free Mawarebytes.

I then ran CCleaner to see if AVSto DVD was removed and it is.

I checked for any registry issues using CClanear and it fixed one dealing with ASDtoDVD.

I'm now at the junction of installing Hitman Pro.

It's downloaded to a flash rive.

I ran all my antibadware on that Hitman Pro. installation file and they found no threats.

I have no experience with it

I'm nervous about installing a program I've never used.

I'm also concerned about it requiring my credit card info (if that's what it will do on installation).

That's how careful I am about installing software and why I think StrongVault was bundled in some other free software without it ever prompting me to install it or not as I would have declined.

I can take 2 courses of action.

1. Not install Hitman Pro and install the latest version of ASDto DVD I downloaded to a flash drive and see if StrongVault still appears and then re-do all the work I've done and then install Hitman Pro.

2. Install HitmanPro and hope for the best not knowing what, if any, other issues it may introduce.

If Hitman Pro is the only way to remove StrongVault, then I guess I'll have to risk it.

Decisions...decisions...

Thanks again for the brainstorming.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I would suggest DVDvideosoft's package Free Studio. It contains all sort of converters, burners, download assistants and more. And yes, you can burn a DVD-Video just from any video file.
    Panasonic NV-HS860, LG LV 880 HiFi 6 Head, Sony SLV-SE 630 HiFi, LG BL-162W, Sony TRV33E miniDV for Capture, Canopus ADVC 55, Panasonic DMR-ES10, Sony Vegas Pro12, WinDV
    Quote Quote  
  23. "DVDVideoSoft may bundle links to other websites and third-party apps installations including toolbars in its products."
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why not go back to AVStoDVD and get the portable version from here:
    https://www.videohelp.com/download/AVStoDVD_286_NoInstall.7z

This version has to be extracted, using 7 zip, and it runs directly from that folder.
    It is clean. Regarding post #11 above from where was that version of AVStoDVD downloaded from ?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hi Maris 55,

Thanks so much for sharing DVDvideosoft's package Free Studio. Can you pls share their official or the most trusted site/link where I could download that?

Do you know if it's packaged with any other software?

Do you know that it definitely does not have StrongVault embedded in it?

I must have downloaded some freeware that had StrongVault embedded as I was never prompted to install StrongVault with any install so I'm very concerned I don't download StrongVault (or any other interfering software).

Thank you so much for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Hi davexnet,

Will the portable version run off a flash drive so that "other" software can;t be installed on my hard drive?

Am I understanding the portable version's advantage correctly?

I download ASDto DVD from this forum.

It's odd that the only time StrongVault launches is when I try to open AVSto DVD - no other program launches it.

Thank you very much for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
  27. TreeTops,

I just got your message.

Thank you for sharing that.

How did you ascertain that as a fact?

Is there a Web site which reveals which freeware bundles other software or includes links?

I'm trying my best to avoid any software which does either.

Again, my thanks to you.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Can ASDtoDVD only run on Windows 7 and later?

A friend shared a PC running XP - SP3 but ASDtoDVD (from this forum) but it would not install on XP.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi davexnet,

Will the portable version run off a flash drive so that "other" software can;t be installed on my hard drive?

Am I understanding the portable version's advantage correctly?

I download ASDto DVD from this forum.

It's odd that the only time StrongVault launches is when I try to open AVSto DVD - no other program launches it.

Thank you very much for all your help.
    It's clean and it should run just fine from a USB flash drive. The portable version is for those who
    do not want to bother with an installation; it's truly portable - eg. from the Flash drive you can take it from
    one computer to another and will run with out issues.
    Of course, it assume you have the prerequisite software already installed.
    FFDshow/Haali splitter or LAV filters and of course, Avisynth

Are you sure SV is still not installed on your system? Have you looked in control panel
    add/remove programs (XP) programs and features (Vista and newer)

As I mentioned earlier, you could try the tool on this page:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-b...led-or-removed
    Last edited by davexnet; 18th May 2017 at 14:48.
    Quote Quote