VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Since the Wisconsin Channel (wpt.org) changed over to Livestream format, I have been using livestreamer to generate a local stream that I could access with Kodi. That stopped working a couple of months ago and I can't figure out what the issue is. I get a terse series of error messages from livestreamer which probably mean something to someone, but not to me.

The source page at wpt.org is essentially unchanged, with the section for the stream player being identical to what it was before. This is the url I have been working from:

http://livestream.com/accounts/13897710/events/4153577/player?width=560&height=360&aut...rue&mute=false

I have the most recent version of livestreamer.

Any clues?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    Apparently wpt disabled embedding of the Wisconsin Channel livestream. They blacklist several free tv sites specifically. Just a few http referers are whitelisted.

Also, 720p HD seems to be gone. It was probably costing wpt a small fortune to stream HD via embedded video on free tv sites all across the world.

Livestreamer stopped being updated over a year ago and was forked into streamlink. Try that.
    Otherwise, use the akamaihd url directly with livestreamer/streamlink instead of having the program parse it from the url that you have listed above.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, I'll give streamlink a shot when the service is back on-line. Living in an area with no OTA PBS, the Wisconsin Channel has been nice to have around for at least a few programs, and the late-night occasional operas were great to record while I slept. I'll miss that opportunity if this doesn't work out.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nmyshkin View Post
    ...I'll give streamlink a shot when the service is back on-line.
    Back on-line? Isn't the Wisconsin Channel streamed online 24/7?

Streamlink is no better than livestreamer here unless you use the akamaihd url directly. This should work for timed recordings unless the akamaihd url for the Wisconsin Channel changes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ponens View Post
    Originally Posted by nmyshkin View Post
    ...I'll give streamlink a shot when the service is back on-line.
    Back on-line? Isn't the Wisconsin Channel streamed online 24/7?

Streamlink is no better than livestreamer here unless you use the akamaihd url directly. This should work for timed recordings unless the akamaihd url for the Wisconsin Channel changes.
    Well, it comes and goes. It was down entirely for quite awhile, now it's back but blacked out for some programs. Sigh. The whole arrangement was more reliable and easier to deal with before they switched over to Livestream. But it's not going back.

Edit: Well I'll be..... I went back to my original post on this issue to see what the livestream syntax looked like for creating a local stream that Kodi could access. Just for the heck of it I tried it and it WORKED [with streamlink], no error messages like before. Hmm.... Oh well. Might as well enjoy it while it functions
    Last edited by nmyshkin; 22nd Feb 2017 at 19:13. Reason: more info
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    Sounds like a course of action to take.
    Last edited by ponens; 23rd Feb 2017 at 14:45.
    Quote Quote