VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Finally found a dvd, no matter what, it wont rip.

Got 'A Hologram for the King', it will not rip successfully, Shrink, uh uh, anydvd, nope, dvddecrypter rips, but unusable. Tried iso & folders (vob), neither. Iso first = 7.x gig, open & select all = 23.x gig, mount iso (clonedrive) open, = 72.x gig. as folders, fixvts returned error message & shut down.

On computer & media player both iso & folders, get main menu but thats as far as it go's. Scene selection choice go's to various 'advertisements' (trailers for new films).

With DVDShrink, main movies (3) are all 10 15 minutes long. One extra is almost 2 hrs but will not allow/show selection, (audio, - subtitles).

Ideas???

-c-

(A Hologram for the King, with Tom Hanks)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Hologram_for_the_King_%28film%29
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try using dvdfab.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try MakeMKV (For all DVDs, MakeMKV can only produce MKVs) The only other choice left to try is DVDFab.

Ripping software other than DVDFab, MakeMKV, and AnyDVD likely uses components taken from MakeMKV, and are IMO, not worth trying. https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7024
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dfab
    hdmi recording
    screen recorder
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ripping means to make an exact copy of the entire contents of the disc or at least the main movie. In most cases only newbies are ignorant enough to think that recording the screen or using an HDMI capture device qualify as ripping methods.

If VLC can play the DVD, it is possible to record the the original video and audio as an mpg file in real time as the DVD plays. This method, which creates an exact copy of the video and audio containing the movie is far easier than recording the screen and much less expensive than buying a capture device: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2686/how-to-copy-a-dvd-with-vlc-1.0/ .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Used DVDFab, managed to rip full dvd. DVDShrink could not rip movie only from files. FixVTS could not 'fix' it.
    Watched the movie, turned out to be a 'not as good as I expected' film.
    Used DVDFab on 'Blood Diamond', worked fine.

I installed DVDFab on a computer 'without' i-net any connection. When starting DVDFab, machine displays a box 'trying to get i-net connection' for 1-2 minutes, finally get a box 'select -lite-, finally get it to work, <-every time! Is there something I'm doing wrong?? It works, but is a pita, this rigamarole every time??
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    Used DVDFab, managed to rip full dvd. DVDShrink could not rip movie only from files. FixVTS could not 'fix' it.

I installed DVDFab on a computer 'without' i-net any connection. When starting DVDFab, machine displays a box 'trying to get i-net connection' for 1-2 minutes, finally get a box 'select -lite-, finally get it to work, <-every time! Is there something I'm doing wrong?? It works, but is a pita, this rigamarole every time??
    I think DVDFab decryption products use an Internet connection, either to consult an on-line database to obtain decryption information for Blu-ray movies, or to verify the license and look for a newer version of the software. So, yes you probably have to go through this every time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM

V10 Dvdfab now uses internet connection for standard dvds
    For dvd decryption. Unless you use dvdfab v9
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess for free I cant really complain too much, it (dvdfab lite) works, , ,

Thanx for all the suggestions

-c-
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess for free I cant really complain too much, it (dvdfab lite) works, , ,

Thanx for all the suggestions

-c-
    dvdfab seems to have stopped working, reads disk, but says (yesterday) dvdfab cannot rip disk (drive D:\). Right now, (just powered up other computer where dvdfab lite is, shows only C:\ in 'my computer'. 'C' only in 'disk management', & 'device manager' shows 2 cdroms with !'s on top, will not/cannot 'find better drivers'.

What happened???
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Uninstalling your dvd drives restart your computer And let windows
    reinstall the drives.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't visited their website recently
    Never heard of dvdfab lite, only passkey lite

Lite versions are sometimes time trial versions and time limited
    I find it best Not to let any software auto update,
    And everything but anti virus, is only updated when absolutely necessary
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Passkey lite - - oops.

Also,
    Tried unstalling drives/reboot = nada. entered bios, just 'scrolling' through, didnt even try to modify anything & bios froze up on me. Fairly new aSUS mobo, I'm getting even more fed up with them, , , Bios will not remember to NOT keep power to usb ports when 'off' , Hmmm, have to try a new battery on mobo <--.

-c-
    Quote Quote