VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello All,
    I'm new to the forum and could really use some help. I recorded my sister in laws wedding with a camera I bought around 13 years ago, so I'm dealing with some dated technology. I used a Canon XL1s to record the wedding. I used the camera's stereo mic and a wireless lapel mic (with the receiver on the camera) to record sound during the ceremony on a mini DV cassette. The problem I'm running into is that I can't capture the second audio channel (from the lapel mic). When I watch the video on the camera in vcr mode I can switch between the audio channels and hear them individually, so I know both were recorded, but I can't seem to capture the second stream to use in editing.

The other limiting factor I'm dealing with is that I have to capture using fire wire and the only computer I have with a fire wire connection is running Windows Vista....I know, I know. I've been trying to capture the video with window's built in video capture, but the settings are limited. I'm editing using Premiere Pro on an updated system.

Is this a camera settings issue? A capture software issue? Or something else?

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Capture directly in PPro using their capture module. Oh...wait. the ppro is on another machine? Can't you swap the FW card to the ppro machine?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Unfortunately I can't swap the card. The old machine is a desktop and the new a laptop. But it sounds like you're saying the capture software is an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Can you post a MediaInfo or FFprobe report on your captured DV file? It's possible the other stereo pair is there but your playback software fails to see it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Here's what I get...Click image for larger version

Name:	media info.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	40567
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Looks like you have a Type 2 file. Even though it can support up to four audio streams, most capture apps stupidly give you only the first stereo pair. Try capturing a Type 1 file with WinDV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    JV, Spot on. Here's the new capture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	media info2.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	40574

But here's what I get when I import to Premiere Pro...

Click image for larger version

Name:	PPro vid info.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	40575

It looks like it's only importing one audio track into Ppro. Any thoughts? If not I'll look for a Ppro specific board to ask on. Thanks for the help, at least now I know it's being captured
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Have you reviewed settings in Audio Preferences/Default Audio Tracks?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What are you planning to convert it to once captured?
    Quote Quote