VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I want to copy my blu-ray and dvd movies to the hard drive on my laptop computer; and be able to play them back at a later time without dragging the external blu-ray player around with me.

I understand that I need to 'rip' the movies, but there seems to be so many formats that I have no idea what to use/do
    For playback, there are notes on the web that Cyberlink Power DVD copies and distributes too much personal data (which I don't like), so I am looking for an alternate player.

Any suggestions on tools for ripping, what formats to use, tools for playback on Windows 10 would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    I understand that I need to 'rip' the movies
    A "rip" is an exact copy of the disc.
    VLC media player will play anything you can throw at it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I want to copy my blu-ray and dvd movies to the hard drive on my laptop computer; and be able to play them back at a later time without dragging the external blu-ray player around with me.

I understand that I need to 'rip' the movies, but there seems to be so many formats that I have no idea what to use/do
    For playback, there are notes on the web that Cyberlink Power DVD copies and distributes too much personal data (which I don't like), so I am looking for an alternate player.

Any suggestions on tools for ripping, what formats to use, tools for playback on Windows 10 would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    MakeMKV is free for Blu-ray ripping while in beta, but if you like MakeMKV well enough to use it long-term, consider buying it to encourage continuing development. If the current version asks for a key, that may be obtained here: https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053 Use MakeMKV's "Save selected titles" feature to copy the main movie to MKV format, which is playable with VLC, MPC-HC, or PotPlayer. PotPlayer is my favorite, but I also use the other two.

If you want to have full Blu-ray menu support, then use MakeMKV's Backup feature to copy all the files and folders on the disc to your HDD. (The Backup feature is not available for DVD.) A licensed player like PowerDVD Ultra or Corel WinDVD Pro is still the best choice for full menu support.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's well worth buying the license for MakeMKV just in case in certain litigious jurisdictions attempt to close it down. Excellent program and simple to use.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    dmc, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I understand that I need to 'rip' the movies
    A "rip" is an exact copy of the disc.
    VLC media player will play anything you can throw at it.
    To clarify, if you play a DVD on VLC, there's a "record" button on the player that will begin storing the playback on your hard drive (in a designated location) in the same format the video was already in. (For example, on a DVD, it'll store as an .mpg.)

I've found it doesn't always work. Sometimes the recording just won't store properly, with segments all disjointed. Often (over the last year or two), it produces a stored file that shows no video. Only the audio will play. That file, tho', if run thru AVIdemux, will come out in a form that once again has the audio and video and will play normally. A "lumpy" two-step process, granted, but still do-able. (It also gives you the option of converting the video to an .mp4 in the process, tho', which certainly is a plus.)
    Quote Quote