VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. It's been more than 5 years since I put together a PC. I'm just getting back into reading up on the different options. I thought I would ask everyone here what they thought. A few notes:

I am an AMD person, so I'd like to stick with them.
    A good heatsink recommendation would also be nice.
    I like games/video editing. The video editing is not just a hobby but part work as well. Although I'm not relying on the income from that.
    I'd like to keep things between 1000-1500 USD (Without monitor) The prices will be different when purchased in Japan, but that's fine.
    I'd like to have 1 SSD for the OS and then just 2 extra drives (1 for games 1 for video and photography)

I still run windows 7 (64 bit). Any reason to stay with 7 or would an upgrade to 10 be worth it?

While I'm not looking for a monitor just yet, I'm open to suggestions as far as a good gaming monitor. My current monitor is for photography. I'd like to have a setup where I could switch between the two. I've never done this before though.

I'm busying doing some research on what looks good. I'll post back when I have an idea of what the next build will look like.
    SmileSmile
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Almost forgot about that avatar, good stuff. Was into the conversion scene for a while but what I need hasn't changed a lot over the years so only been lurking.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat, an AMD builder, with a 5+yr build and looking to upgrade with about the same budget $1500. Personally, I'm going to wait a month or so to see all of AMDs new offerings. What I'm eyeballing right now:

- 8core/16thread in the $400 range
    - MOBO at $150 to handle new AM4/AM4+
    - Memory $100
    - 256gb SSD of OS (I've been Win10/64 for a while, very happy) $150ish
    - 3TB drives(2), $150

That'll get you to $1K. Have components you'll refresh? DVD/BR drive, case...

I'm a gamer as well, but not so hard core that I go to 1440 or 4K yet, still simple 1080p on a 23" IPS. You should be to find a good monitor for under $150. With the little extra, I think I'm going to mirror all the drives, for 6 drives total. Mirror OS and mirror each video drive. I've thought about going with the NAS/RAID route since I'm contemplating 4 drives. But the extra $500-$600 to do so ... not sure it's worth it even though it frees up a drives's worth of space. (6TB mirrored vs 9TB RAID).

Keep us updated, good luck to you and have fun building!
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  3. For speedy h.265 encoding Nvidia GTX 1050 may be the way to go. Or maybe QS on a Kaby Lake CPU.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the about to be released amd ryzen 8 core cpu is a big step up for amd. so much so it's scared intel into announcing rushed new faster part numbers that aren't even in production yet. the only major drawback is that just like intel's the new amd cpus will only run win10. there will be no other available drivers.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, waiting for one of these.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you are looking at AMD or Intel CPUs in the 100W plus range, I would consider a liquid CPU cooler.
    Silent and keeps the case cooler. I've been using two Corsair H50 Hydro CPU coolers in two PCs
    with 125W CPUs for several years now and I would not replace them with a noisy air CPU cooler.

One keeps my 125W 8 core AMD CPU at a max of 42C when all cores are at 100%.

There are quite a few newer versions from different manufactures and they are not that hard to install with a proper case.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	40512  

Last edited by redwudz; 10th Feb 2017 at 12:52.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by beavereater View Post
    It's been more than 5 years since I put together a PC. I'm just getting back into reading up on the different options. I thought I would ask everyone here what they thought. A few notes:

I am an AMD person, so I'd like to stick with them.
    A good heatsink recommendation would also be nice.
    I like games/video editing. The video editing is not just a hobby but part work as well. Although I'm not relying on the income from that.
    I'd like to keep things between 1000-1500 USD (Without monitor) The prices will be different when purchased in Japan, but that's fine.
    I'd like to have 1 SSD for the OS and then just 2 extra drives (1 for games 1 for video and photography)

I still run windows 7 (64 bit). Any reason to stay with 7 or would an upgrade to 10 be worth it?

While I'm not looking for a monitor just yet, I'm open to suggestions as far as a good gaming monitor. My current monitor is for photography. I'd like to have a setup where I could switch between the two. I've never done this before though.

I'm busying doing some research on what looks good. I'll post back when I have an idea of what the next build will look like.
    If you like windows 7 & AMD then see this - http://www.myce.com/news/amd-changes-mind-ryzen-cpus-wont-officially-supported-windows-7-81442/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Same is true with Intel and Windows 7. Also these new chips coming from Intel and AMD will most certainly still work, just not be officially supported and might not make 100% use of any newer assembly instruction sets or other newer features. Just have to wait for the chips to come out and see what other people say about Win7 compatibility. I plan on staying with Win7 until I can't any longer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Same is true with Intel and Windows 7. Also these new chips coming from Intel and AMD will most certainly still work, just not be officially supported and might not make 100% use of any newer assembly instruction sets or other newer features. Just have to wait for the chips to come out and see what other people say about Win7 compatibility. I plan on staying with Win7 until I can't any longer.
    tomshardware reported some stability issues. Beyond that, here are no officially sanctioned drivers available from Intel for Intel 630 HD graphics. There are Windows 7 drivers available from at least some motherboard manufacturers and Intel, but they are beta drivers. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3301016/skylake-kaby-lake-windows.html Note koberulz started that thread.

I have seen no reports regarding how well QuickSync works using a Kaby Lake CPU with Windows 7.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  10. @Redwudz is the liquid cooling really that easy to install? My current tower, heatsink/fan not included, has 6 fans running. It's pretty quiet. I'd definitely look into some of those options if I decided to start overclocking…something I've never done.
    SmileSmile
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've had the Corsair H-50 off and on in use with several motherboards.
    I don't find it much harder to install than a air CPU cooler.

Here's a thread when I first installed it back in 2010 and that's the same H-50 that I'm still running with my
    present AMD FX-8350 8 Core CPU 4.2Ghz PC. :

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/270162-AMD-six-core-CPU-and-Corsair-H50-water-cooling-setup?

I found it easier to attach the cooler with the MB in the case and the radiator and fans mostly mounted.
    Otherwise you have to struggle with the fairly rigid cooler lines and fan/radiator when installing the MB.

About the only maintenance is to make sure the radiator fins are clean.
    Last edited by redwudz; 11th Feb 2017 at 03:15.
    Quote Quote  
  12. CPU:
    AMD FX-8370EFX
    ¥ 20,207

Motherboard:
    ASUSTeK AMD 990FX+AMD SB950 SABERTOOTH 990FX R3.0
    ¥ 26,784

RAM:
    CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRONEW 8GBx2 6GB CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R
    ¥ 14,774

Video Card:
    GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 1060 GV-N1060WF2OC-3GD
    ¥ 29,747

HDD(W/OS)
    SanDisk Extreme PRO 480 GB
    ¥ 27,810

Case:
    Corsair Graphite 780T
    ¥ 22,190

Gonna use my new PSU to power everything and add my current drives (HDD) to it.
    Prices are Japanese Yen.
    Any opinions or advice, I'm all ears.
    SmileSmile
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you able to wait a little longer? Ryzen is supposed to be released late this month or early next month.

[Edit]I like your choice of cases.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd wait for Ryzen also. Even if it doesn't run Win7 it will lower the cost of the older hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 10 is the only Windows OS with official support for Kaby Lake (and future Intel CPUs) or Zen (and later AMD CPUs/APUs), and there is bound to be more hardware or software or services which require Windows 10 in the near future.

There are some valid reasons not to use Windows 10. One would be that there is a need to use hardware or software that is not supported under Windows 10. (I have been in that category so far, but after a long wait, I think that is about to change.) ...and if someone wants to stay with an earlier version of Windows because of reduced privacy using Windows 10, I understand that decision too, although there are ways to lessen the amount of data Windows 10 collects.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I can wait.
    Costs here in Japan, for some reason, don't change much with tjeaddition of new products. It might be cheaper to order everything from the U.S and pay shipping and import duties.
    SmileSmile
    Quote Quote