VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

I recently purchased an ASUS BW-12D1S-U Lite with the goal digitizing my movie collection in order to stream my library and reduce physical space.

Currently, I am using MakeMKV to backup my collection and so far it has been great.

My issue is that since MakeMKV only allows you to backup video tracks, I'd like to have ISO images for certain movies in order to maintain menu's and certain features. Hopefully, an option to stream BD ISOs in the future will come up!

How would I go about doing this? I have read about AnyDVD HD & DVDFab for Blu-Ray. Which is the best program to use?

Thank you, in advance, for the help and let me know if I need to clarify anything!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dvdfab has a free HD DECRYPTER you can use, but
    Depending on how new the movie is, it may not work on newly
    Released movies. You can either do full disc or main movie.
    And save as an iso file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theformat View Post
    Hello!

I recently purchased an ASUS BW-12D1S-U Lite with the goal digitizing my movie collection in order to stream my library and reduce physical space.

Currently, I am using MakeMKV to backup my collection and so far it has been great.

My issue is that since MakeMKV only allows you to backup video tracks, I'd like to have ISO images for certain movies in order to maintain menu's and certain features. Hopefully, an option to stream BD ISOs in the future will come up!

How would I go about doing this? I have read about AnyDVD HD & DVDFab for Blu-Ray. Which is the best program to use?

Thank you, in advance, for the help and let me know if I need to clarify anything!
    MakeMKV can copy Blu-ray discs as well as create MKVs. Click the leftmost folder icon, labeled "Backup" to make a full copy of the Blu-ray. Create an ISO using ImgBurn's "Create image from files and folders" option using the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders copied by MakeMKV as your folders.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Hello!

MakeMKV can copy Blu-ray discs as well as create MKVs. Click the leftmost folder icon, labeled "Backup" to make a full copy of the Blu-ray. Create an ISO using ImgBurn's "Create image from files and folders" option using the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders copied by MakeMKV as your folders.
    Thank you for the direction. I'm currently using this option. Since MakeMKV can do this, would it be worth it to get DVDFab or ANyDVD HD?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Thank you for the direction. I'm currently using this option. Since MakeMKV can do this, would it be worth it to get DVDFab or ANyDVD HD?
    AnyDVD might decrypt some individual discs that MakeMKV can't, but it costs costs 59 EUR per year while MakeMKV is free. DVDFab Passkey for Blu-ray is a similar product which costs $50 (US) per year. All either does does is remove encryption and region coding. You still need to manually create an ISO. In your case, I suspect neither is worth buying.

DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper can create ISOs directly. I don't know if there are enough discs for which an ISO is needed to make the added convenience worth the $60 per year price tag.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're burning bluray disc's , another issue you'll run into is
    The dreaded cinavia issue in which dvdfab can repair the audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use MakeMKV for my collection - but I don't bother with burning to disc anymore rather I use a NAS to store everything and the Popcorn A-500 which goes away and creates a Menu with synopsis and other details. If you stop viewing say half way through it creates a "Last scene viewed thumbnail" and if the original didn't have chapters you can use MKV Chapterizer to insert "n" minute chapters. It will even download subtitles if you need them. Haven't played a disc for years
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you all for the replies. You've helped alot!
    Quote Quote  
  9. ISO's are not streaming friendly and motto of the day is simple streaming now. Menus need some licensing fees, that is being avoided today. You might keep some ISO's as a curiosity but I would not count that you could use them towards future anyway. If on disc, you might hit Cinavia problem. If stored on hardisk, hardware players do not support menus and if the are, then BD Lite version, simple menu form, so you might loose those "certain features" anyway. And that is for now, not mentioning future.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    ISO's are not streaming friendly and motto of the day is simple streaming now. Menus need some licensing fees, that is being avoided today. You might keep some ISO's as a curiosity but I would not count that you could use them towards future anyway. If on disc, you might hit Cinavia problem. If stored on hardisk, hardware players do not support menus and if the are, then BD Lite version, simple menu form, so you might loose those "certain features" anyway. And that is for now, not mentioning future.
    Well i know that Infuse (iOS video player) just released the ability to Play DVD ISO but with no menu support. I'm hoping menu support along with BD ISO support is in the future.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've tried the Disc Backup MakeMKV method and then create an ISO with ImgBurn, but the menus do not appear when playing it back through VLC. Is this a software limitation of MakeMKV or VLC or is it not the right method?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by theformat View Post
    Well i know that Infuse (iOS video player) just released the ability to Play DVD ISO but with no menu support. I'm hoping menu support along with BD ISO support is in the future.
    I would not definitively bet on this. ... There are platforms now, that do not bother even with proper deinterlace like Kodi , that was a decent norm just couple of years back, now it has shifted somewhere (now software players with cheap hardware decoding) and deinterlace is a looser suddenly. Everything it is going towards "easy" and streaming, codec is not a problem.
    You might have a platform that will do it but you'd know that it sucks for other reasons. Like in that deinterlace case. For interlaced video you'd need to choose different "app" , not doing well in other area, other expensive hardware with different OS etc.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    I would not definitively bet on this. ... There are platforms now, that do not bother even with proper deinterlace like Kodi , that was a decent norm just couple of years back, now it has shifted somewhere (now software players with cheap hardware decoding) and deinterlace is a looser suddenly. Everything it is going towards "easy" and streaming, codec is not a problem.
    You might have a platform that will do it but you'd know that it sucks for other reasons. Like in that deinterlace case. For interlaced video you'd need to choose different "app" , not doing well in other area, other expensive hardware with different OS etc.
    I know it's a long shot. I'm sure most here are like myself and have succumbed to "easy steaming" but it sure is nice to dream.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The A-500 plays DVD and Blu ray ISO's and the JukeBox software shows the synopsis - actor and director list, rating and file details. The NMJ Toolbox gets all the details of the movie or TV series or Music and collects fanart and backgrounds.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote