VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 31
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search PM
    Introduction to TVDownloader

TVDownloader downloads video and audio streams (from Youtube, Vimeo, DailyMotion, Twitch, Veoh, BBC, +900 more sites) to a videofile or mp3file based on a version of the open-source youtube-dl engine.
    For a complete list of supported sites click here.

Purpose and Restrictions of Usage

The purpose of TVDownloader is to act as a personal video/audio-recorder to watch legally accessible online-videos or listen to legally accessible online-music at a later time while you are offline. TVDownloader is intended for private use only. TVDownloader may not be used for commercial or illegal purposes: do not make video or music archives, do not spread or sell videos or music and respect the copyright policies of the authors, sites and countries you are downloading from. Please read the Legal Disclaimer and Copyright Infringement Policy before using TVDownloader.
    Please do not ask questions about DRM protected media: TVDownloader is not intended for DRM protected media!
    Please do not try to download DRM protected media!

Version History

Version 1.0 11/01/2016 canvas.be and een.be supported
    Version 1.1 12/01/2016 deredactie.be and sporza.be supported
    Version 1.2 13/01/2016 ketnet.be supported
    Version 1.3 18/01/2016 support for xp and win7
    Version 1.4 11/04/2016 fix for deredactie.be and sporza.be streams
    Version 1.7 22/01/2017 complete parser rewrite (een.be fix) and UI version
    Version 1.6 24/01/2017 vrtnu.be supported
    Version 1.7 28/06/2017 complete engine replacement, userid/password support, audio download, support for over 900+ video-sites
    Version 1.7.1 27/07/2017 engine replacement for vrt.be and vier.be, UI auto-resize to screen dpi
    Version 1.8 28/07/2017 added option to download subtitles and write metadata to video/audio file
    Version 1.9 18/08/2017 engine replacement for vrt.be, vier.be, vijf.be, youtube.com, ...
    Version 1.10 21/08/2017 UI fix, engine replacement for vrt.be, vier.be, vijf.be, youtube.com, ...
    Version 1.11 25/08/2017 engine replacement for vrt.be, vier.be, vijf.be, youtube.com, ...
    Version 1.12 28/08/2017 UI fix, mp4 preference, support for split dash video, best approximation iso exact requested resolution
    Version 1.13 29/08/2017 engine replacement
    Version 1.14 30/08/2017 fix for vtm.be, support for native crypto
    Version 1.15 02/09/2017 added "worst" option for video and audio
    Version 1.15.1 02/09/2017 engine replacement, support for bvn.tv
    Version 1.15.2 11/09/2017 fix for hls download via ffmpeg
    Version 1.15.3 29/09/2017 fix for vrt.be, vrtnu.be, vrtnws.be, ...
    Version 1.16 11/11/2017 added option to prefer mp4/m4a demuxed video/audio, new ffmpeg engine
    Version 1.17 19/05/2018 fix for medialaan (vtm.be,...)
    Version 1.17.1 22/07/2018 fix for vrtnu.be, npo.nl, youtube.com, ...
    Version 1.17.2 30/12/2018 fix for vrtnu.be (een, canvas, ketnet, ...)
    Version 1.18 30/12/2018 added option "native" to prefer native youtube-dl download over ffmpeg download
    Version 1.18.1 23/03/2019 fix for youtube.com
    Version 1.18.2 27/04/2019 fix for youtube.com
    Version 1.18.3 04/01/2020 fix for youtube.com a.o.
    Version 1.18.4 07/04/2020 fix for youtube.com a.o.
    Version 1.18.5 30/06/2020 fix for youtube.com a.o.
    Version 1.19 24/08/2020 fix for vrtnu.be, settings saved in registry (suggested by Ciber SLasH)
    Version 1.19a 05/04/2021 fix for vrtnu.be, youtube.com, ...
    Version 1.19b 02/08/2021 fix for vrtnu.be (login failed)
    Version 1.19c 06/11/2021 fix for vrtnu.be (login failed)
    Version 1.19d 08/04/2023 fix for youtube.com a.o.
    Version 1.19e 27/12/2023 fix for youtube.com a.o.

Important notice 04/02/2024

I have decided to suspend further development of TVDownloader. The current version will be frozen. The reason is that more and more people are asking me to bypass DRM protection. TVDownloader originated as a project upon request of teachers to allow them to collect didactic material for educational purposes. In doing so, I have always emphasized that TVDownloader is not intended to make illegal copies of copyrighted material. But just as a knife in itself is not prohibited, it can also be used as a weapon. Considering that more and more users ignored my recommendations, I will no longer provide further support and updates.

In the meanwhile, people who use TVDownloader for legal purposes (i.e. for downloading non copyrighted media for personal or educational use), can still use the latest version of TVDownloader and update the underlying engine on their own initiative and responsibility.
    Its usage remains subject to the conditions described below!
    If you try to misuse or adapt TVDownloader for downloading DRM protected media, it is your sole responsibility!

Download and Installation

Download TVDownloader.zip.
    Install TVDownloader_vx.x.exe.

License

This software is distributed as freeware. It is based upon a version of the open-source youtube-dl and ffmpeg software.
    If you keep using this software, leave your feedback here and consider buying me a coffee via: PayPal Donate

Usage

• Start TVDownloader. This will open a dialog box.
    • Open your Internet browser and search for the webpage containing the video/audio you want to download (Youtube, Vimeo, DailyMotion, Twitch, Veoh, BBC, +900 more sites supported).
    • Copy your video URL to the "Video Source URL" field in TVDownloader.
    • If the site requires a userid/password, please provide this.
    • Click the "..." button to specify the "Output Folder" where you want to download your video/audio.
    • Change the Video Resolution option: Best, 1080p, 720p, 540p, 480p, 360p, Worst. Some video resolutions may not be available.
    • Check/Uncheck option to prefer mp4/m4a demuxed video/audio. Warning: merging mp4+m4a can take extra time.
    • Check/Uncheck option 'Native' to select either native youtube-dl download or ffmpeg download (uncheck this option in combination with "Worst" format if nothing else works)
    • Check/Uncheck option to Download Subtitles (SRT) if available.
    • Check/Uncheck option to Write Metadata into Video/Audio file.
    • To download the video, click the "Download Video" button.
    • The video will be downloaded into the specified folder.
    • To extract and convert the audio from the video, click the "Save MP3" button. The audio of the video will be extract and converted into an mp3 file in the specified folder (VBR average 190kbit/s).
    • Click the "Donate via PayPal" button to donate via PayPal or click "Buy me a Coffee" button (optional).

Remark: If you only need the audio part, you don't have to click the "Download Video" button.
    Remark: If nothing else works, try "Worst" format and uncheck all other options.

Alternative URL

Sometimes the URL from the video site does not work as such.
    In that case you could try to find the video URL within the page:

• Open video URL in browser (Chrome/Edge/...) but don't start video.
    • Right click and select "Inspect" or press CTRL/SHFT/I
    • Open "Netwerk" tab in right pane.
    • In the filter field type ".m3u8"
    • Start the video in the left pane
    • Stop the video
    • Right click on the first "m3u8" entry and select "Copy Link Address"
    • Paste that url in TVDownloader

Or use this handy extension called "Stream Detector" (which is currently not (yet) in the Chrome extension store).
    Here is how to install and use it in Chrome/Edge/Chromium:

• Extract chrome://extensions/ in browser
    • Enable "Developer Mode"
    • Click "Load Unpacked" extension
    • Select folder "StreamDetector"
    • You will now see "Stream Detector" in your extensions
    • If the icon is not visible in the extensions bar, pin it to the extensions bar
    • Now open a video URL and start streaming the video
    • If StreamDetector detects a stream, it will notify and you will see it by clicking on the icon
    • You can copy the stream URL and paste it into TVDownloader

Problems

If TVDownloader does not start, the most common cause is that HTA applications cannot start on your pc, or you have removed Internet Explorer or Edge browser completely from your pc. TVDownloader uses HTA (Microsoft HTML Application) based on Internet Explorer.
    Normally, even when you don't use Internet Explorer or when it is not installed, Microsoft still installs the necessary core files to keep HTA applications working.
    If these HTA corefiles are not available on your pc, you can try to fix this as follows:
    First check if you have c:\windows\system32\mshta.exe on your pc. If not, try installing at least Internet Explorer 7.
    If c:\windows\system32\mshta.exe is available, it could be possible that the link between .hta files and c:\windows\system32\mshta.exe is broken.
    To fix this copy the lines below to a file called hta.reg (with notepad), save it and double click it to add these settings to the registry:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    ;Open HTA files with MSHTA.EXE
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.hta]
    "Application"="mshta.exe"
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.hta\OpenWithList]
    "a"="MSHTA.EXE"
    "MRUList"="a"

Legal Disclaimer

This software and the accompanying files are supplied "as is", without any express or implied warranty including but not limited to the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. In no event shall the author be liable for any claim, damages whatsoever or other liability including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, whether in an action of contract, tort or otherwise, arising from, out of, in connection with or from the use of this software and/or the underlying youtube-dl.exe, ffmpeg.exe and ffprobe.exe.

Copyright Infringement Policy

By using TVDownloader, you agree to the terms of service below:

The author of TVDownloader is committed to protecting the rights of intellectual property (including copyrights) holders and seeks to comply with all applicable laws and regulations regarding the protection of intellectual property.

Unauthorized copying, distribution, modification, public display or public performance of copyrighted works is a copyright infringement, and the user, not the author of TVDownloader has full responsibility.

The author of TVDownloader has no responsibility for content of other owners that you may find, access, download and/or upload when using TVDownloader. Any such material may be protected by copyright and the intellectual property laws. The terms of use that are posted by the respective owners of those materials, and not the author of TVDownloader, govern your use of that material. You are responsible for complying with all laws and regulations applicable to the material that are made available or download.

You explicitly acknowledge that downloading some files may require authorization and may be subject to restrictions. It is your responsibility to determine what restrictions apply, to comply with all applicable restrictions and to obtain all necessary authorizations.

The license to use TVDownloader is conditioned upon your agreement not to use TVDownloader to infringe the intellectual property rights of others in any way.

TVDownloader enables you to download content, obtained from third parties using the Internet or otherwise. All title, ownership and intellectual property rights in and to the content, material and files downloaded or otherwise accessed, are and shall be retained by the applicable Content owner and may be protected by applicable laws, including copyright and other intellectual property laws. NO license and/or any other rights to such Content are granted under this Agreement.

The author of TVDownloader does not control the content of files and information that may be used with TVDownloader or otherwise played, viewed, managed and/or accessed through it. The author of TVDownloader does not endorse the contents of any information or data, accessed through the use of TVDownloader. The author of TVDownloader shall not be responsible for the accuracy, completeness, legality, legitimacy or any other aspect of the files and information accessed through the use of TVDownloader, nor for the right to make such information available or accessible. The use of any files is at your sole responsibility and the author of TVDownloader explicitly disclaims any responsibility to the use or misuse of any file.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by xplorr; 4th Feb 2024 at 08:34. Reason: Minor edit
    Quote Quote  
  2. This is COOL! Genius. Thank you very much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    This is COOL! Genius. Thank you very much.
    Glad to hear that!
    Welcome!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Was tempted to take a look under the hood. Wanted it portable so extracted your files (I'm nosey, forgive me ).
    Now, maybe because of the way it exits this bare file structure (have not installed) I get the error
    'The procedure entry point GetNumaNodeProcessorMaskEX could not be located in dynamic link library KERNAL32.dll'
    Have I broken it? Get this error twice (first ffmpeg.exe crashes after download, then again straight after when probe crashes)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Was tempted to take a look under the hood. Wanted it portable so extracted your files (I'm nosey, forgive me ).
    Now, maybe because of the way it exits this bare file structure (have not installed) I get the error
    'The procedure entry point GetNumaNodeProcessorMaskEX could not be located in dynamic link library KERNAL32.dll'
    Have I broken it? Get this error twice (first ffmpeg.exe crashes after download, then again straight after when probe crashes)
    But does it run ok when you simply install it as intended?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Not tried installing proper...the program works though. Downloads fine.

EDIT: I'll install. Let you know.
    Quote Quote  
  7. No. Get same error installed or portabled. Personally, I'm not bothered by it, it works. I'm happy with that. Seems ffmpeg and probe don't close out properly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No. Get same error installed or portabled. Personally, I'm not bothered by it, it works. I'm happy with that. Seems ffmpeg and probe don't close out properly.
    Strange, cannot pinpoint the problem. But as long as it works, it's ok.
    Hope others can give feedback, so I can correct.
    By the way: what windows version do you use?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Vista x64. Probably me. Wait for more feedback before you go tweaking.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Might i ask, did you build this in an XP system?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Might i ask, did you build this in an XP system?
    Built on windows 10 64-bit but .exe is 32-bit.
    Quote Quote  
  12. It's something to do with the processor threads on my system, I think.
    Might be unique to me for all I know. Not to worry.
    At first i thought it might be some form of exception handling, now I think it's just Vista not being able to set the processor group.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd405503%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
    Not a huge problem. Like I said, it works. Thanks again for such a tidy interface.

Edit: I don't get the errors if a video CANNOT be downloaded. The command shell closes without exception. Any ideas?
    Last edited by transporterfan; 6th Feb 2017 at 16:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's something to do with the processor threads on my system, I think.
    Might be unique to me for all I know. Not to worry.
    At first i thought it might be some form of exception handling, now I think it's just Vista not being able to set the processor group.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd405503%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
    Not a huge problem. Like I said, it works. Thanks again for such a tidy interface.

Edit: I don't get the errors if a video CANNOT be downloaded. The command shell closes without exception. Any ideas?
    Do you have the same problem if you run youtube-dl from command prompt?
    Could also have something to do with ffmpeg. Could you try to temporarily rename ffmpeg in the install dir and test if you still have the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi xplorr, I tried your program to download an NHK VOD program and it worked flawlessly! Thank you very much

transporterfan helped point me in this direction so thanks to him as well
    Quote Quote  
  15. @ xplorr

Hi. Can you make your program portable too? I prefer programs that we can use without any kind of installation . Just unzip /unrar the files and use it.

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    @ xplorr

Hi. Can you make your program portable too? I prefer programs that we can use without any kind of installation . Just unzip /unrar the files and use it.

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Sure: just copy these files from the install dir (ex. C:\Program Files (x86)\YoutubeVideoDownloader) to a zip and you have a portable version. There are no registry keys:
    -ffmpeg.exe
    -ffprobe.exe
    -youtube-dl.exe
    -YoutubeVideoDownloader.exe
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Created a new account here on VideoHelp just to thank you for this software. Thank you for taking the time to put that together for us. It's an amazing little piece of software and saves me lots of time downloading videos that I really need.
    Quote Quote  
  18. @ xplorr

Hi. How to proceed when updated versions from ffmpeg or youtube-dl are available?

Just download such updated versions and paste on your program folder, replacing the old ones?

PS: can you provide a portable version for us too, not the only exe that you create and made it available here?

Thanks for your time!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    @ xplorr

Hi. How to proceed when updated versions from ffmpeg or youtube-dl are available?

Just download such updated versions and paste on your program folder, replacing the old ones?

PS: can you provide a portable version for us too, not the only exe that you create and made it available here?

Thanks for your time!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    You can just copy the new versions of ffmpeg or youtube-dl into the install directory.
    I already explained earlier how to create a portable version.
    Quote Quote  
  20. hi, I download from CBS.com and ABC.com a lot and they have different resolutions like 576p and 648p would it be possible to make them available to download?

Could you allow the software to show a list or drop down box
    Of all resolutions it finds/detects for the video URL you paste

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  21. Updated youtube-dl and problems went away. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hi @xplorr ,

Many thanks for this software .
    It works on XP sp3 ( 32bits ) .
    Try done with "Zorba le grec" "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxdHMHuTxUQ"

I have been able to create a portable version .

=== batch for updating youtube-dl ( to be put in the folder containing youtube-dl.exe )
    @echo on
    youtube-dl -U
    pause
    :fin
    ===

Cheers .
    JE SUIS CHARLIE !!!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hola xplorr

Excelente programa me a servido e descargado algunas animes con los subtitulos
    estaria bueno que tuviera un indicador de progreso para que no apareciera la ventana simbolo de sistema
    cuando lo instale, en otra ubicacion se creo un archivo hta queria preguntarle si se podria modificar con el block de notas

gracias
    Quote Quote  
  24. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    RULOM 64, better in English. From a translator program:

Hello xplorr

Excellent program i served and downloaded some animes with subtitles
    would be good to have a progress indicator so that it does not appear the command prompt window
    when you install it, in another location was created an HTA file I wanted to ask if you could edit with notepad

Thanks

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  25. ..
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (307).png
Views:	911
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	41539  

Last edited by danielko; 22nd Nov 2017 at 23:20. Reason: no one helped
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by danielko
    Hi, any clue?

upload
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting. I assume this is essentially a front-end for youtube-dl, but I was able to download a video with this that the latest youtube-dl was not able to by itself. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Hello thank for your software

I have an account in alphorm website (a site of tutorials) and I try to download( with your soft ) the videos of tutorials for studies in my pc but alphorm prohibits the download

for exemple ( i copied in source with explorer )

<video class="jw-video jw-reset" style="margin: 0px; left: 50%; top: 50%; width: 854px; height: 480px; transform: translate(-428px, -241px) scale(0.91, 0.92);" src="http://web.alphorm.com/FR_430/FR_430_02_00_part1.mp4?Expires=1495173692&amp;Sign ature=hc~l6R0mwzNYR7mJoD3QTOMzZQLxxG~FmMl698qDwHuK DuEuhBYC6iT9oGaAC8C4copJ7LUg2i8zBdg-A3GRcIxX3f07zCe8BW-oZrtiquktHvcqKHnGjyGAhy8CANIkxQ7gaTdT9eUK-a-74Xu4ODwPNDCIsXvAtli9YqQ4iFg_&amp;Key-Pair-Id=APKAJF2PMCJPGKXG2GEA" preload="none" disableRemotePlayback="" webkit-playsinline="" playsinline="" jw-loaded="data" jw-played=""></video>
    but it' not work

i have windows\system32\mshta.exe in my syteme

Click image for larger version

Name:	downl.jpg
Views:	1455
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	41642

have you one solution ?
    ( sorry for my english )

best regard
    Last edited by marlonbrandade; 17th May 2017 at 06:49.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Awesome program xplorr - outstanding work.

I usually use Tubedigger but was having problems with one video for some reason (would freeze downloading everytime at 83%) and this did the trick.
    (I used GetThemAll chrome browser extension to get the video files URL)
    Last edited by notoriousrfp; 14th Jul 2017 at 16:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is a new version available with support for userid/password protected sites.
    You can find it here: http://bit.ly/2vM0uz4
    Last edited by xplorr; 27th Jul 2017 at 06:40.
    Quote Quote