VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all Ive just got a 4k TV (60hz) and hooked it up to my new pc with a Titan X card. My display is native 4k but when I play videos (1080 or above) I get a refresh line moving up the screen every now and then, predominandly when motion is played.
    My settings within Windows are also 60hz so am wondering why I am getting this issue. I changed the HDMI cables to "high speed" ones today thinking it was a bandwidth issue but still persists. Im using Media Player Classic to play the videos.

Any help appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try re-installing your gpu driver.
    JVC X550R 4K/HDR/WCG - DENON X2300W 5.1.2 DTS-X/ATMOS - Klipsch Reference Series R-26F, R-25C, R-10S - SAMSUNG K8500 UHD player - GTX1070, i7 HTPC
    Quote Quote  
  3. Check your VSync settings.
    Quote Quote  
  4. V sync within nvidia control panel?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you already know all of this, apologies...

Is the TV's HDMI connection used for the computer set to PC mode? When connected to a PC, the TV needs to function as a giant monitor, meaning there should be no picture enhancement applied by the TV and no overscan.

Although TVs can process a variety of input resolutions, the display resolution in Windows should be set to match the TV's actual resolution, so double-check the TV's resolution. The actual resolution for most 4K TVs is 3840 X 2160 (UHD) rather than 4096 x 2160 (4K).
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Good point, I do know there is some sort of "picture enhanement" on the TV (cinema mode etc) and that the resolution in Windows is 4096x2160
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the make and model of the TV? Sometimes that information is useful when trying to figure out settings.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Tried lowering the resolution but even get it on 1080, altered picture settings to "game" (no pc setting) still the same.
    Model is the LG 84UB980V
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an older model LG TV (720p). It has been a few years, but as I recall, just selecting "PC" as the label for the HDMI connection I used to connect my PC helped.

The specs on LG product page for this TV states the panel resolution for the TV is 3840 x 2160, so you should set the display resolution in Windows to 3840 x 2160 when connecting the TV to a PC.

I downloaded the manual but haven't had time to do more than glace at it. The chart on page 32 of the user manual indicates that 8-bit RGB 4:4:4 at 50Hz, 59.94Hz and 60Hz are allowed, although 60Hz makes the most sense for a PC. Adaptive vsync synchronizes the video card's frame rate to a monitor's refresh rate. You could try turning it off if it's on and vice versa.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Turn adaptive vsync off on the tv or card? As cant find the option on either
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomkat2010 View Post
    Turn adaptive vsync off on the tv or card? As cant find the option on either
    On the card. It is supposed to be in Nvidia Control Panel under Manage 3D Settings. I don't have a Nvidia card, so I can't verify where the setting is, or if it is available when using a TV.

[Edit]Adaptive VSync is mainly used when gaming, from what I understand, but I was guessing that was what jagabo meant by "vsync".
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Feb 2017 at 17:16.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Tearing like you're describing is caused by the graphics card switching frame buffers while a frame is being sent to the display, rather than waiting until the frame has finished drawing (vertical refresh, or vertical sync). Media players usually have settings that control this. If you are using multiple displays (especially if running in mirror mode) vsync may only work on one of them. Also, turn off all image enhancement settings of the graphics card.

In MPCHC, go to View -> Options -> Playback -> Output and try the Alternative VSync option. Also try different DirectShow output devices on that same dialog.
    Quote Quote