VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm not sure where else to post this, so I figure this is where it'll go:

---

Studio XPS 9000

Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU, 920 @ 2.67GHz

Chipset: (Northbridge - Intel X58 rev. 13) (Southbridge - Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) rev. 00)

Intel Rapid Storage Technology 9.6.0.1014

ImageBurn 2.5.8.0

Quake 2 Mixed-Mode CD

----

Back in September 2016, my previous Samsung 1 TB hard drive was failing, so I cloned it to a new WD Black 1 TB Hard Drive using Macrium Reflect. As a result, I wasn't able to get or install Windows Updates, so I had to also upgrade to Intel Rapid Storage Technology 9.6.0.1014 from Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8 (http://www.dell.com/support/home/in/en/inbsd1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=W7CMK&fi...yId=SA) . However, I still could not update Windows 7 because it kept getting stuck checking for updates. An additional install of KB3172605 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53332) ultimately resolved the issue.

So, what's the point of making this thread, then? I have an annoying problem involving Imgburn further documented below (with an imgburn log attached to my initial post there):

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/24489-analysing-disc-error/

Their support is telling me that Rapid Storage Technology 9 appears to be interfering with that particular function. Would upgrading RST and/or the chipset resolve this issue? Would there even be an additional chipset driver that I could upgrade to? I know Intel's site has the Intel Driver Update Utility, but I'm not sure if I'll end up breaking my system if I get the wrong chipset driver from them or use the "check for new updates option" in Window 7's Device Manager.

I can still use other ripping programs to actually accomplish backing up my old CDs as a workaround if need be, but I'd like to see if I can fix this problem as well. The PC itself works great otherwise. And before anyone says, I did also ask on Dell's forums and never got an answer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Whatever LIGHTNING UK tells you is FACT. He will come here and tell you the same thing(whatever he said).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Whatever LIGHTNING UK tells you is FACT. He will come here and tell you the same thing(whatever he said).
    That wasn't my point. My point was that I'm not sure that I might mess up Windows if I decide to update the chipset drivers and was wondering if anyone else has updated chipset drivers like that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well the chipset drivers controls all low level functions. if they are messed up your system is screwed. get the latest from the motherboard website and update them. also the intel rapid storage drivers/usb drivers/audio drivers/etc.

if this isn't how the system was when you cloned the hard drive, something is very messed up. a cloned hard drive is a duplicate of the original and nothing should have changed by installing it. if it isn't i'd format it and start over re-installing a fresh copy of windows and all the programs.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would never install Intel Rapid Storage Technology,just uninstall it and just install the basic chipset driver,Intel Rapid Storage Technology is just bloated software.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I would never install Intel Rapid Storage Technology,just uninstall it and just install the basic chipset driver,Intel Rapid Storage Technology is just bloated software.
    it's how intel packages the latest sata controller drivers. you can't get them any other way.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Using "check for new updates option" in Window 7's Device Manager likely won't get you the latest driver available. It will get you the latest driver tested and "approved" by Microsoft. These drivers can often be several versions old.

As noted above, manually download and install the drivers from the hardware manufacturers website. Start with the motherboard. The Intel utility (other vendors often provide similar tools) should pull the correct driver.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  8. You have definitely screwed up somewhere, then added several more.

The clone did not work properly. Should be no issues with updates, some error you have not identified caused this. This is not debate-able.

You could depend on some software to make all the correct decisions, or you could simply check your mobo model, go to the makers website and get the latest full set of drivers, checking for comments/issues, and manually install the most functional ones for your hardware. Not always the latest. Avoid the management softwares of all types, just get the drivers you need. The management crap is useless, and causes issues like yours. They usually uninstall OK, but can be finicky.
    Quote Quote