VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When you install a program such as VLC Player or Pot Player they will install codecs and/or LAV filters and even FFMPEG. Are these codecs and filters used by other programs such as MKVToolnixGUI and AVIdemux? I know that both these video players support many types of video formats and because of that I'm assuming they install a large library of codecs and/or LAV filters. Im also assuming more then are installed when MKVToolnix and AVIdemux are installed. Do I need to install CCCP or K-lite to benefit my video editing software or will they be able to take advantage of the codecs and filters that were installed from the video player?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Most of these add the add codecs for internal use...
    AFAIK You cant use these codecs for other apps.

If you want LAV, install it separately
    MKVToolnixGUI does not have any codecs in the installation

re: Do I need to install CCCP or K-lite to benefit my video editing software or will they be able to take advantage of the codecs and filters that were installed from the video player?
    -its a personal preference
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank You for your help and quick answer!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Players based on libavcodec in different degrees were made with the purpose to be independent of "codecs" (which usually means "DirectShow filters" today) being installed into Windows. Some versatile players (e.g. MPC-HC, MPC-BE) may use Windows installed DirectShow filters and possibly even VfW codecs when their internal decoders and splitters (LAV Filters with direct API access, not using DirectShow) can't handle a format; other compact players (like VLC) will not use anything else than their internal libraries.
    Quote Quote  
  5. System codecs (i.e. any codec registered in Windows) can be used by different applications (some commercial codecs may have certain limitations to cooperate with other than selected applications) - generally you can control how system and application will use codecs by changing priority (merit) of codec - those one with higher merit will be preferred by system and applications using system.
    VLC doesn't use system at all (as VLC is multisystem).

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd940318%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
    Quote Quote